Title: Area Support Services Manager
Location: 70% in Jigjiga and 30% in Dolo Ado
Employment Category: F
Reporting To: Area Manager
Direct Reports: Supply Chain Team Leader, Finance Team Leader, HR Team Leader
Start of Contract & Duration: 8 Months
Posting date: June 7, 2021
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, Gender based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
- Lead and manage Support Team Leaders (including people planning, performance, well-being and development)
- Ensure the functioning of high performing support teams ensuring high-quality approaches are maintained
- Manage, deliver and report on current operations support in Jijiga Area Office and Dollo Ado Base
- Develop and improve operational approaches, compliance and systems, and support the Area Manager to build and deliver effective and sustainable interventions.
- Responsible for the strategic development, management and implementation of the support operations
- Ensure appropriate technical support is available to programs, in line with organizational priorities
- Ensure support for annual planning and review processes
- Direct responsibility for ensuring that the DRC Programmes operate in accordance with DRC’s support function guidelines
DRC Dynamics ERP System
- Ensure ERP functionality is properly used by relevant staff
- Apply reports and data analytics from DRC Dynamics to improve overall performance
- Act as heavy user for required functionalities
- Support the Area Manager and Area Senior Management Team in liaising with donors and authorities, especially as relates to issues of compliance, registration, and audit
- Oversee the Sipport units for the Area/Base by providing strategic leadership and technical support to the areas under supervision
- Supervision, audits and controlling and implementation of corrective actions related to DRC’s operational standards within support area.
- Ensure that DRC retains and continually develops its operational capacity to provide rapid emergency response in particular within its procurement and transport systems
- Develop a risk management plan for the country that identifies the major financial and operational risks and implement a mitigation strategy
- Ensure that all administrative and legal-related systems are accurate and maintained
- Work to build the capacity of the operational support staff throughout the operation though frequent in-service training sessions and mentoring support
- Contribute to the development and implementation of DRC’s global development initiatives
- Direct line supervision of Support Team Leaders (Finance, Admin/HR, Finance)
- Oversight of Support teams in Area and Base
- Supervision and oversight of recruitments and staffing structure of Support team
- Training and performance management of Support teams
- This role is based in the Jijiga Area Office, covering DRC’s programming in the Area and Dollo Ado Base, and will require regular field travel to Dollo Ado and programme activity sites in both locations.
As Manager the post-holder is responsible for the following:
- Accountable for achieving DRC’s strategic goals and objectives within the area of responsibility
- Accountable for making significant decisions on what the unit does: its purpose, functions and role, and for making commitments and decisions that require the expenditure of significant unit resources.
- Accountable for people management of direct reports. This includes hiring & firing, objective setting, probation, performance appraisal, development of staff, managing performance, including poor performance, etc.
- Accountable for making sound decisions based on DRC policies, MOPs, standards, and the advice of technical experts in DRC
Experience and Technical Competencies: (include years of experience)
- At least 3 years’ experience in a senior support services management role
- At least 1 year of relevant experience working for UN/NGO
- At least 2 years’ experience with people management
- Proven significant financial, information and systems management experience
- Significant experience in procurement and tender processes
- Understanding and experience of institutional fundraising
- Experience working in an ERP system, including supply chain, finance and HR systems
- Reporting & Communication skills; with experience in financial reporting and audits
- Financial management skills, with experience in budget and expense management, and financial reporting
- Compliance skills; with experience of ensuring activities and expenses are in-line with relevant guidelines
- Liaison/coordination skills; with experience communication and coordinating with humanitarian partners, local authorities, community leaders, beneficiaries and other stakeholders.
- Full professional proficiency in Somali and English
Education (include certificates, licenses etc.):
- Master’s degree in economics, business management, political science or other relevant field
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Fluent Somali essential
- Excellent verbal and written English.
- Proficiency in other Ethiopian languages preferred
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence : Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating : Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity : Acting in line with DRC’s vision and values