The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is one of the largest humanitarian agencies in the world, providing relief, rehabilitation, and post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of oppression and violent conflict. IRC has worked for over seven decades in the world addressing both the immediate, life-saving needs of conflict-affected people in an emergency and the reconstruction needs in post-conflict societies. IRC is committed to a culture of bold leadership, innovation in all aspects of our work, creative partnerships, and thorough accountability to those we serve.
Scope and background:
IRC has been present in Ethiopia since 2000 to respond to man-made and natural disasters. IRC is currently operational in five regional states and 24 refugee camps implementing a diverse range of multi-sectoral interventions. IRC currently responds to the needs of vulnerable HHs affected by conflict-induced displacement in Gedio through a diverse range of emergency and recovery interventions that address both short and long term needs. Under the program “Emergency life-saving and complimentary assistance to communities affected by the COVID-19 Pandemic in Yirgachefe and Wenago Woredas of Gedeo Zone”, IRC intends to implement a multipurpose cash transfer project in the Gedeo zone in collaboration with the government, INGOs, and DRA partners to mitigate the impact of COVID19 pandemic on the most vulnerable households (women, children, old people, and the person with a disability). The project intends to meet both food and non-food needs of the target households and their family members.
The post holder shall be responsible to support the distribution of cash and voucher assistance to COVID 19 pandemic affected households in Yirgachefe woreda, Gedio zone, as per IRC SOPs.
Responsibilities: the key responsibilities include:
- To ensure that cash/voucher assistance is delivered to targeted households as per predetermined targeting criteria and in a safe manner;
- To make sure that all administrative and donor compliance steps are undertaken;
- Implement appropriate monitoring and evaluation systems including appropriate client compliant handling mechanism; ensure consistent reporting, documentation, and analysis of results to improve program efficiency and quality;
- Scope of Role
- Reports to: IRC cash program officer base at Yirgachefe woreda, with technical mentorship from the senior cash program officer based in Addis on the administrative CVA tasks and technical backstopping
- Staff reporting to this post: NO
- Budget Responsibilities: None
- With support from the IRC cash transfer officer and teams in Hawassa, the Cash transfer Assistant programs shall:
- Assist in sensitization of local government structures, communities, and opinion leaders on the targeting criteria of the project;
- participate and support the identification and registration of the beneficiaries for this specific CVA project for unaccompanied /separated /adolescents/women, as per criteria agreed with the project team;
- Ensure the confidentiality and the support of targeted households during the cash/voucher assistance, by working with their families, community committees local government, and community leaders in monitoring how the assistance is used and any other issue that might arise from the project;
- Responsible for delivery of regular cash/voucher transfers and helping ensure the management of any problems (if occurring) during planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of the multipurpose cash transfer program;
- Actively participate in relevant field assessments to understand the beneficiaries’ needs, ensuring assessment findings are documented and communicated to all concerned program staff and that all assessments include a specific analysis of the most vulnerable groups such as women; old people, people with disability, unaccompanied/separated adolescents’ needs;
- Monitoring and Evaluation: Together with M&E staff and program officers, implement appropriate M&E systems and tools for cash transfer programming to measure quality programming and evaluate the impact, cost-effectiveness, and relevance of specific activities.
- Assist in the registration of targeted vulnerable HHs, ensuring their data is collected and stored appropriately, safely, and confidentially;
- Develop methods to support communication with beneficiaries and community engagement in the targeted areas
- Plan and coordinate activities with local authorities, community members, other implementing actors and partners at the woreda level;
- Compile and submit regular project reports and updates program officers and team members
Support the team to:
- Conduct assessment to identify the most vulnerable households in need of assistance using robust targeting methodology
- Carry out additional duties within reasonableness of his/her level of skills and experience ordered by his/her manager
- Ensure that you work to the best of your ability and demonstrate high levels of dedication to IRC and our vision, mission, and values to ensure the objectives of your role and the country program are met;
- Ensure the effective and efficient use of all IRC resources to keep costs low and ensure safety in the workplace; and
- Follow the requirements of the IRC Child Safeguarding Policy to ensure maximum protection for children and their families.
At least first Degree qualification in, social science, international development, economics, or related relevant field
Experience and Skills:
- Minimum of 3 years relevant work experience in the field of cash transfer, particularly with most vulnerable groups;
- Experience and/or knowledge in CVA programming is an asset;
- Experience or competence working in an intercultural environment and
- Proficiency in written and spoken English;
- Excellent Microsoft Office applications skills (Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Emails)
- Self-motivated and results orientated;
- Adaptability and flexibility: resilience, remains calm in high pressured situations, accepts new assignments and challenges, and responds efficiently to change
- Adherence to the IRC Code of Conduct understands other international development guidelines.
- Develop and maintain effective coordination and long-term relationships with external parties, representing IRC positions in case delegated by the manager, promoting long-term strategy and resolving problems/conflicts.
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of organizational strength
- Good listener, concerted and flexibility, and creativity;
- Self-motivated, honest, highly responsible, demonstrate flexibility and adaptability
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties following the IRC Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.