Chemonics International, a Washington D.C.-based international development organization, seeks to fill the position of Civil Society Strengthening Specialist for the anticipated USAID Strengthening Accountable Governance and Civic Engagement (SAGCE) project in Ethiopia. The $30 million, five-year project will aim to strengthen sub-national government, increase citizen engagement, and strengthen civil society oversight using locally led, problem-driven, adaptive approaches. The Civil Society Strengthening Specialist will be based in Addis with extensive travel in the country. The Civil Society Strengthening Specialist is responsible for providing support to civil society organizations and connecting them to other CSOs and to government. Candidates should possess considerable successful experience in working with and supporting CSOs in Ethiopia. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead efforts related to civil society engagement including supporting the development of core activities.
- Support the assessment of target CSOs and develop and oversee training plans
- Support CSOs in engaging with local government including refining advocacy skills.
- Build participatory, “people-centered” advocacy approaches and help foster active citizen demand for public information.
- Share best practices and lessons learned in building civil society based on case studies from other societies
- Must have at least 8 years’ experience working with CSOs in Ethiopia at a senior management level.
- Excellent and demonstrated knowledge of the legal and regulatory frameworks around non-profit organizations.
- Familiar with various assessment tools such as OPI and OCA for assessing NGOs.
- Previous management experience of USAID-funded or other donor projects preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, governance, business, public administration management or related field required, advanced degree preferred
- Strong demonstrated ability to work in a team environment on highly collaborative projects.
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Oral and written fluency in English required
How to Apply
To apply visit this link: https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/062aeefda2cd49a285d327128552c190
The deadline for submission is April 30, 2021. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.