1. Project management and monitoring
§ Make sure that the project is implemented in accordance with the donor agreement and requirements i.e. as per the signed LOU/PPA
§ Coordinate and monitor the overall management of the LEGO “Learning through play” project in Gambella.
§ Supervise and follow up on the work of the Pedagogical Mentors and the Community mobilizers recruited and engaged in the implementation of this project.
§ Conduct on spot-mentoring to the project engaged team and teachers based on field observations and monitoring of implementation.
§ Set, follow up and monitor the distribution plan of the “Learning through Play” kits including radios, Play papers, Sola Spells, Tablets and Bricks.
§ Follow up on the training materials distribution and translation into the local language.
§ Report and harmonize the collection of data related to the targeted groups of children, teachers and schools’ management, community participation and the impact of the project on children in particular and the community in general.
§ Organize and coordinate the workshops and trainings planned for this project, and ensure relevant participants are effectively engaged and committed.
§ Initiate and facilitate regular meetings and reviewing sessions to ensure qualitative implementation while measuring the impact of the activities on the learning process.
§ Regularly report and share information with the Education and the Child Protection specialists in your organization, including referral of children at risk cases when reported.
§ Effectively participate in the project relevant meetings and trainings and contribute as required to advocate for children’s rights to learn and play.
§ In consultation with Gambella field operations manager and education program specialist maintain efficient and effective operating systems, and ensure compliance with Save the Children’s Quality Framework and Minimum Operating Standards.
§ Facilitate the preparation, review and periodic revision of the project Detailed Implementation Plan (DIP) particularly the work plan, MEAL and procurement plans
§ Oversee the implementation of the project in the field and monitor the progress on a regular basis through field visits and meetings with project staff, children, communities, partners, local and regional government, and other key stakeholders.
§ Prepare the initial draft programmatic and financial reports for SCI Members, government and Save the Children as required, ensuring these are of a high quality and submitted to the member office in a timely manner.
§ Act as sub budget holder for this project, he/she will be responsible to support the overall management and when necessary facilitate the revision of a realistic budget, authorization and track expenditures in line with the budget and donor guidelines, Save the Children award management, financial manual and SoD.
2. Budget Management
- Manage and monitor LEGO1 project budget in line with the country office scheme of delegation, ensuring compliance with donor rules and accurate and timely financial reporting.
- Support the preparation of project phased budget.
- Ensure that budget for LEGO project accurately reflects anticipated costs of planned work at all times.
- Prepare and implement pipeline analyses and Monthly/quarterly spending targets.
§ Contribute Award Implementation Review (AIR) and align with BVA analysis
§ Ensure the financial records relating to the project budget are accurate and in line with policies and procedures set out in the Finance Manual
§ Monitor, analyse and report significant variances between budget and actual expenditure
§ Keep a record of all committed costs in relation to procurement of goods and services for LEGO project.
§ Be fully aware of the grant compliance regulations for the donor.
§ Facilitate and work together with the award unit, documentation for any project modifications, amendments or extensions, which require donor and/or government consent and approval. Ensure such changes are made in close consultation with the Gambella Field Office Manager, Education Program Specialist, award, finance staffs, all relevant project staffs and senior managers.
3. Human Resource Management
- Line management of camp based LEGO UNHCR education project officers (Pedagogical Mentors)
- Liaise with program and HR units, identify technical staffing needs for program, support recruitment, induction and training of new program staffs.
- Support that the LEGO-UNHCR project is appropriately staffed across the project sites including the appropriate combination of expertise across technical and operational areas.
- Participate in the recruitment of project personnel in accordance with Save the Children HR policies and procedures.
- Ensure that all LEGO project officers have updated job descriptions, work plans, and clear lines of communication and reporting.
- Make sure staffs submit annual goals and quarterly deliverables and carry out one to conversation on quarterly basis and give the necessary feedback, follow up and support to improve staff performance.
- Ensure staffs respect working hours and be at their duty station on time.
- Ensure all staffs under their supervision have filled and submitted their monthly timesheet.
- Ensure staffs under their supervision are at the highest standard of code of conduct and behaviour.at all times.
- Ensure the integration and harmonization of project team with other field office program and support staffs.
- Support all the project staffs to comply with Save the Children’s Child safeguarding and other policies.
- Create an atmosphere that induces open communication and maximizes skills/experience sharing among the team members.
- Work with the Gambella Education Program Specialist to ensure effective performance management of matrix managed staff team ensuring that all staff understand and are able to perform their role effectively
4. Coordination and Representation
- Represent the LEGO project and Save the Children at different meetings.
- Coordinate and liaise with the UNHCR, government, NGOs, Civil Society organizations and other agencies.
- Coordinate effectively with UNHCR and other NGOs and UN agencies that are working in education on marginalized children.
- Build a productive working relationship with relevant Ethiopian government bodies at the camp, district and regional levels.
- Proactively engage on inter agency assessments, joint monitoring and evaluation
§ Ensuring assessment findings are documented and that all assessments include a specific analysis of children’s needs.
- Work with the finance, supply chain and award departments in order to ensure the effective management of the project budget, with full compliance to the donor regulations.
- Build a productive working relationship with relevant departments such as PDQ, HR, Finance, Award, Supply Chain, etc.
- Liaise with the Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) unit in order to measure the qualitative impact of the project.
- Coordinate with the communications department for the publication of best practices and lessons learned for a variety of external stakeholders and audiences.
5. Reporting and Documentation
- Develop and implement an effective and efficient reporting system
- Play a leading role and ensure preparation of timely and high quality periodic progress reports as well as in documenting case studies of successes, challenges, lessons learned, and other project-related feedback.
- Prepare a monthly written update to the Field Operations Manager and relevant others, report on project progress, and discuss project implementation on monthly meetings.
- Share/disseminate best practices and lessons learned from the project internally and externally
- Assist organizational learning for education best practices that can be used in manuals, booklets, and brochures.
- Collate incoming data from field activities, baselines, end lines, and other assessments.
- Create LEGO-UNHCR project virtual team for regular follow up and monthly monitoring calls.
- Ensure proper documentation of the project.
- Monitor movement of the project staffs and vehicle with logistic staffs
- Facilitate all logistic arrangements to ensure all project staffs to be in their on duty station and perform the planned activities in the camps in collaboration with others.
- Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child safeguarding, code of conduct, safety and security, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
- Carry out additional tasks as required
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in education, development studies, social science or equivalent.
- Recommended a minimum of 5 years’ experience in a corporate or NGO environment managing education projects. And out of each 3 years in coordinator and managerial positions.
- Substantial experience in all aspects of project management within the NGO development and humanitarian sectors including refugee response program and camp coordination.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of the Ethiopian education policy, strategies and programs.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Demonstrated experience of developing and managing relationships and funding from prominent donors such as LEGO, and Save the Children members.
- Experience of working within a complex and matrix organization structure
- Experience of managing and shaping programmes to deliver greater efficiency and effectiveness, and of strengthening implementation of financial control processes
- Solid budgeting skills and proven experience in financial management.
- Ability to present complex information in a succinct and compelling manner
- Fluency in English, both verbal and written,
- Willingness to travel to the camps, work in harsh and difficult physical conditions in areas of potential insecurity around Gambella region.
§ Experience on field based education project coordination and management
§ 2-3 years progressively advanced management experience in project coordination specially coordination or management of LEGO or similar projects as well as proven ability to work in culturally diverse and challenging environments.
§ Experience working with the regional education bureaus at regional and woreda/camp level
How to Apply
Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter with your application, and include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at https://stcuk.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en