Being an employee of the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) in Ethiopia the Energy and Environment Coordinator is expected to represent NRC in a responsible manner and always act in accordance with NRC’s Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is present in five regions in Ethiopia, providing refugees and internally displaced people with emergency relief and help them to rebuild their lives. NRC works within the sectors of Education, Shelter, WASH, Livelihood and Food Security, ICLA (Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance), and Child Protection.
Roles & Responsibilities:
The Energy and Environment Coordinator will be responsible for the management of environment and energy projects that lead to environmental conservation and increased access to sustainable and environmentally friendly energy for refugees and host communities.
· Lead, coordinate and facilitate NRC’s environment and sustainable energy interventions in both the refugee and host community settlements in Ethiopia.
- Take part in the preparation of annual, quarterly, monthly work plans along with budgets and closely ensure that all energy related project activities are implemented within their approved budget;
· Facilitate relations between NRC, the target communities, and local authorities, taking particular care to consider girls and women’s specific needs within the environment and energy programing.
· Ensure effective coordination and synergy of NRC’s environment and sustainable energy interventions with similar activities of other agencies and actors in the country;
· Participate in energy and environment sector coordination meetings; and other relevant forums, as deemed necessary, ensure NRC is well represented, and its efforts are adequately reflected in these forums;
· Ensure strict adherence to international humanitarian standards (CHS, Sphere minimum standard, etc.) at all stages of the project cycle
- Provide technical support to project teams working on environment and sustainable energy related interventions for operations, domestic use, productive/commercial use and communal uses.
- Explore innovative alternatives for addressing energy access challenges among refugees and host communities, and advise the Country and Area offices on such possibilities;
- Prepare technical design/specifications, BOQ and procurement plans for any environment and energy technologies as and when required for project implementation, in close cooperation with the logistic and finance offices.
- Organize and conduct training for the refugees and host communities on environmental conservation and renewable energy technologies when and where needed.
- Design and conduct technical surveys and needs assessment in refugee and host community areas in collaboration with field teams and other stakeholders;
· Develop clear M&E plan for the environment and energy interventions; and ensure data and information are collected, analyzed, and disseminated to relevant bodies;
· Participate and play a leading role in periodic monitoring of the environment and energy programs and generate timely and quality reports;
- Undertake regular supervision and monitoring visits to project sites;
· Lead in identification of environmental assets and threats related to NRCs response in humanitarian crises and establish measures to minimize environmental impacts;
· Liaise with other sectors (shelter, WASH, livelihoods, education, etc.) with a view to minimizing environmental impacts associated with projects and activities initiated under them.Where necessary and possible, initiate environmental projects to rehabilitate degraded environments and generate a sense of responsibility among refugee and host communities.
Generic professional competencies:
· First Degree or equivalent in Renewable Energy, Energy studies, Natural Resources Management, Environmental studies, electrical engineering, or other relevant field;
· Minimum 4 years total work experience.
· Minimum two years working experience in a field related to sustainable energy solutions (bio energy, solar energy, natural resource management, and similar) preferably in rural/refugee hosting areas;
· Knowledge of energy policies, technologies, or strategies, and institutions, and the ability to contribute to policy dialogue with clients and partners;
· Evidence of design and management of complex renewable energy projects, with preparation of BOQ, generation of work plans, budget documentations, progress reports and deadlines compliance;
· Experience in dealing with donors, local and international organizations and the private sector;
· Previous experience/understanding of working in complex and volatile contexts;
· Minimum two years of program/project management experience;
· Fluency in English, both written and verbal;
- Understanding of gender, protection and human rights.
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
· Very good communication, negotiation and presentation skills
· Controlling resources and managing teams
· Report writing and computer skills
· Proven skills in designing and implementing trainings and development plans for teams
- Working as a team player by contributing to the overall project strategy and intended outcomes and at the same time able to supervise others.
· Ability to work with diplomacy, tact and sensitivity and experience in working within different cultural contexts requiring cultural sensitivity.
· Managing resources to optimize results
· Managing performance and development
· Empowering and building trust
· Handling insecure environments
· Transparent and accountable
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the above criteria are invited to send in their application letters including updated curriculum vitae with day-time telephone number and contact details of three work-related referees through OR www.webcruiter.nrc.no (If it is possible, attach photocopies of the most relevant educational certificates/testimonials). Applications should reach NRC latest by September 23, 2020.
NB: only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.
“Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply as NRC offers attractive salary and benefit with on-the-job training opportunities!”