The International Republican Institute (IRI) an international non-governmental organization (NGO) registered in Ethiopia is seeking resumes/CVs for a Field Accountant to support the financial and administrative operations of the Institute's Ethiopia programs.
S/he will work closely with the Institute's Program Accountant based in Washington, D.C. on IRI accounting and compliance matters as required. S/he will oversee IRI's Ethiopia-based financial and procurement systems and processes, and support program logistics and office administration as needed.
The organization is hiring individuals to work in Addis Ababa and may include periodic travel to other regions of Ethiopia.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Fulfill IRI and funder reporting requirements in an accurate and timely manner;
- Manage field office payments, vendor and partner inquiries and invoice processing;
- Compile monthly rolling budgets for the field office, and monitor daily expenditures, reconciliations and bank transactions;
- Review and record field office expenses in JAMIS and ensure that advances are reconciled;
- Prepares and processes payroll for local employees;
- Responsible for preparing all statutory returns (e.g. VAT, NSSF, NHIF, PAYE) as required by the respective government authorities;
- Ensure that field office property is kept securely and the office inventory us updated regularly;
- Handle field office procurement processes in compliance with IRI and funder requirements;
- Maintains an understanding of funder and IRI policies and procedures related to grant compliance and oversight.
- Ensure that field office staff have a strong understanding IRI accounting policies and procedures and provide training as needed;
- Travel from time to time to support field office accounting and procurement needs; and
- Any other duties assigned by the RPD/RPO in support of IRI’s work in Ethiopia and abroad.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A university graduate with a Bachelor's degree, preferably in Accounting, Finance or a related subject;
- A minimum 3 years’ relevant professional experience in an accounting environment, preferably with an international non-profit organization or USAID donor-funded project;
- Fluent in written and spoken English (other language fluency a plus);
- Knowledge of general accounting principles and bookkeeping;
- Demonstrated computer proficiency and knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite and basic accounting software packages; and
- Must be able to travel to new environments for extended periods, and work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Organizational and communication skills;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, with a good command of Excel;
- Ability to work under strict deadlines;
- Ability to work independently or with a team.
- Completed or ongoing graduate studies or a finalist for CPA or other relevant professional certification;
- Knowledge of and experience with US government funder rules and regulations;
- Experience with JAMIS Prime accounting system; and
- Strong time management and organizational skills, including resourcefulness and the ability to manage multiple activities simultaneously and efficiently.
How to Apply
To apply, interested candidates should:
Please include the following in your cover letter
- minimum salary requirements (or current salary)
- two professional references
- projected start date