Ethiopian Midwives Association (EMwA) is a legally registered, autonomous, and not-for-profit professional association established in 1992 and re-registered under the new civil society proclamation. EMwA operates in all regions of Ethiopia by using and works for the quality of midwifery education and care. EMwA has been a member of the International Confederation of Midwives (ICM) since 1993.
The primary goal of EMwA is to contribute towards the reduction of maternal and child mortality and morbidity in Ethiopia, which are the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) global initiatives. EMwA envisions to see every woman, newborn, and their family have access to standard midwifery care. The mission of the association is to promote and enhance the expansion, performance and status of midwifery profession through adapting quality and evidence based practices; adhering to the code of ethics and conduct empowering the professionals.
To achieve the desired results, EMwA would like to hire competent candidate for the following position.
Position summary :
Under the supervision of the HR & Admin Manager/ED and following the EMwA’s policies and procedures, the HR Officer is responsible for the execution of all HR matters of the association. The HR Officer performs the activities of processing the decisions of human resources recruitment, placement, transfer, promotion, performance management, leave, documentation and other HR decisions. He /she facilitates the capacity building and development of employees and ensures that the organization policies, procedure and systems are effectively implemented in the association.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- Facilitate the recruitment & selection, training & development, performance management, etc. of the association
- Review and propose renewal /termination of employment contracts following the association’s strategic direction and availability of funds,
- Maintain proper employee records and produce periodic HR reports as required.
- Ensure that annual performance appraisal of staff in the organization is being carried out;
- Resolve human resource problems such as work related disputes & conflict;
- Conduct regular meetings with HR & Admin Manager to discuss ways and means of improving work systems in the Department /Unit.
- Prepare periodic reports and share for respective bodies for information and further action as required.
- Support in standardizing the arrangement, shelving, location, classification and coding of HR related documents for easy traceability;
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with other Departments /Units, employees and other stakeholders;
- Perform other duties assigned to him /her by the immediate supervisor.
Reports to: HR & Admin Manager/Executive Director (ED)
Length of Contract: One year and could be extended based on performance and budget availability.
- BA Degree in Human Resource Management, Management, Public Administration or other related field of studies.
Work experience and required skills:
- A minimum of 4 years of relevant experience on similar /related position. Experience in I/NGO environment is advantageous.
- HR related training certificates
Competencies/ Personal attributes
- Demonstrate commitment to the vision, mission, core values and goals of EMwA.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and foster trust and respect.
- Self-motivated and highly organized, detail oriented
- Flexible and able to work well under pressure.
- Exhibit a desire to support a large number of people
- Strong team player
- Good facilitation skills
- Well acquainted with Ethiopian Labour Law
- Good HR management skills, with the ability to demonstrate skills in leading a multi-disciplined and multi-cultural team;
- Strong MS office and the ability to use new technologies.
- Must also be able to quickly think a problem through and find solutions;
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Amharic
Desired Criteria (An Asset)
- HRIS application software training and experience.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants who met the MINIMUM requirements should send the following through e-mail: [email protected] or P.O.Box 1410, or in person to Ethiopian Midwives Association’s Head Office located on Equatorial Guinea Street, Haya Hulet, behind Elsa Kolo or behind Meklit Building, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- A cover letter / application letter (not more than one page)
- A CV (not more than 3 pages)
- A one page table summarizing your educational background, work experience, technical skills and competencies to facilitate the screening process. Refer the vacancy announcement while doing this.
Please DO NOT SUBMIT copies of transcripts, academic degrees or recommendation letters with your application. You will provide them upon request. Make sure that you state the title of the position on the subject of your email.
Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply.
All travel and related costs should be covered by the applicant if invited for written exam and /or interview.
Only short listed applicants will be contacted.