Ethiopian Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is looking for qualified candidates to fill the following position
REPORT TO : Head of Branch Office
DURATION : 1 year fixed term consultancy contract with a possibility of moving to long term employment in line with the new organizational design
Purpose of the Job:
Manage individual human rights complaints, plan, and implement monitoring of places of detention and emergencies, finalize reports and issue recommendations. Develop and implement advocacy and follow up strategy.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct investigation of human rights complaints assigned to him/her,
- Conduct monitoring of detention centers, prisons or any place where people are held in custody to assess whether the policies, procedures and practices are in compliance with international, regional and national human rights standards and produce reports with concrete remedial recommendations;
- Propose areas for systemic investigation and refer them to thematic functions in consultation with the Monitoring and Investigation Coordinator;
- Support the undertaking of researches, studies and analyses to identify violations of human rights and legislative gaps with concrete recommendations;
- Collaborate with team members and contribute to and/or draft various human rights reports, communications, briefing notes, statement or other products;
- Provide input on revisions of systems, policies, guidelines, manuals, and tools;
- Contribute to the development of annual plans for the Monitoring and Investigation function in line with EHRC’s Strategic Plan and program priorities;
- Establish and maintain collaboration/partnership with relevant stakeholders, including government institutions, civil society organizations, media, UN agencies, private sector, development partners and other partners working on human rights;
- Keep the Coordinator informed with regular detailed and accurate reports on progress and hurdles of monitoring work;
- Perform additional assignments given by the Director.
Qualifications and Experience:
- MA/BA Degree in LLM, Human Rights Law, International Law, or related fields.
- 4 years of relevant experience for BA and 2 years of relevant experience for MA;
- Proficient computer skills.
- Knowledge of Amharic and English is required. Knowledge of other local languages is advantageous.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should write a covering letter, explaining why they are interested in this role, why they are the right person for the job with a recent CV which should be sent to the following email address: [email protected]
Women candidates are encouraged to apply
Only short listed candidates will be contacted for interview and written exam
The selection process will be solely based on interview and/or written exam
Internal successful candidates will be required to resign from their current position to take up the new role.