Dan Church Aid (DCA) is a legally registered international NGO engaged in development and humanitarian assistance to poor rural people in Ethiopia in partnership with Ethiopian NGOs and civil society organizations.
DCA Ethiopia is looking for a competent Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) officer for its operations in Gambella refugee camps. Under the supervision of the Senior Programme Coordinator, the position holder shall closely work with DCA project teams in Gambella, refugee coordinating agencies and local government towards to the attainment of the DCA Humanitarian response project objectives.
Overall Job purpose:
The overall responsibilities of the post are to coordinate and play leading role for the development of effective M&E systems; regular data collection, analysis and interpretation to track project indicators; generate and communicate progress reports and human-interest stories; facilitate joint monitoring and learning forums; initiate and lead needs assessment, facilitate baseline and end-line survey, mid-term and terminal evaluations; provide technical guidance for DCA Gambella team on matters related to M&E; and ensure adherence to international humanitarian standards.
- Develop effective M&E framework for the projects.
- Lead/facilitate the preparation of detailed implementation and M&E plans; and maintain them living document through periodic review and adjustment.
- Initiate, participate and lead needs assessments, mid-term and terminal evaluations of projects.
- Periodically Assess project outcomes/impact & oversee the appropriateness of methods used in attaining measurable results.
- Provide training (skills development) in planning, monitoring and evaluation to DCA and partner staffs.
- Lead, coordinate and facilitate collection, analysis and interpretation of baseline, post distribution monitoring, indicator tracking and end line data.
- Gain good understanding of donor’s reporting guidelines, and grant management requirements.
- Facilitate/Support generation of quality monthly, quarterly, bi-annual, and annual reports of the projects in the field office and submission before the due date to the respective stakeholders.
- Ensure that quality reports are submitted required by partners/donors and refugee coordination agencies on time and as per the requirements and guidelines of clients.
- Represents the project office on matters related to monitoring and evaluation.
- Regularly monitor budget burn-rate) and proactively communicate to the team about status and risk of over and under expenditure.
- Collect monthly and quarterly performance report from field- based project staff and monitor project progress and update team
- Facilitate/Support the joint monitoring and review sessions at field office level and with relevant stakeholders; produce, document, and disseminate learnings.
- Development of ToRs for needs assessments, mid-term, and terminal evaluations, monitoring and reporting guidelines etc.
- Work towards digitalization of DCA’s data collection and analysis.
- Participate on trainings, workshop, and meetings; brief the rest of the team on the learnings and outcomes of such events.
- Generate and analyse data from the RedRose e-voucher system.
- Undertake monitoring field visits in the intervention areas (both for DCA direct implementation and partner-led projects), produce report and update the team based on the findings
- Ensure/support project documentations at field office level through engaging with field staffs with consideration of data protection issues.
Accountability and Learning
- When delegated by the coordinator, participate in regional, zonal, district and camp level humanitarian coordination forums, meetings, networks, and ensure DCA’s adequate representation. Brief his immediate supervisor about the contents and outcomes of these coordination forums.
- Facilitate joint monitoring and review sessions with relevant stakeholders; produce, document and disseminate learnings.
- Ensure feedbacks from target communities and stakeholders are regularly received, and appropriate actions are taken by the project office.
- Ensure adherence to quality and accountability humanitarian standards (CHS, Sphere minimum standard, etc.),
- Make sure DCA’s complaint handling mechanism is fully exercised, and complaints are welcomed and timely responded.
- Monitor and provide coaching to the projects’ staff to improve quality of reporting for (narrative and QMRs)
- Document and disseminate learnings, best practices, and human-interest stories.
Vacancy Number: DCA-Eth/ VA- 007/2022
Number Required: One
Type of Contract: One year with probability of extension
Reporting to: Senior Programme Coordinator
Expected Start Date: As soon as possible
- Minimum of first degree in statistics, economics, development studies or another related field.
- BA, BSc, MA, MSc degree in similar fields and six years of relevant experience with BA/BSC and four years relevant experience with MA/MSc.
- Good Knowledge of the refugee’s operations in Ethiopia; more specifically in Gambella
- Experience in working with NGOs/humanitarian agencies
- Excellent communication and organization skills, judgment and tact, and the ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Good report writing skills and manipulation of digital data collection and analysis packages.
- Good knowledge of the operational area is advantageous
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants should apply for the post via the below link
DCA is an equal opportunity employer and all interested candidates are encouraged to apply regardless of age, race, gender, marital status and religious, political or ethnic affiliation. Please do not mention your religious or ethnic affiliation in your application.
Female candidates with relevant educational background and experience are highly encouraged to apply.