- Company: United Nations Economic Commission for Africa
- Location: Ethiopia
- State: Addis Ababa Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: - NGO Jobs in EthiopiaProcurement jobs in Ethiopia
Established by the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) of the United Nations (UN) in 1958 as one of the UN’s five regional commissions, ECA’s mandate is to promote the economic and social development of its member States, foster intra-regional integration, and promote international cooperation for Africa’s development.
Provides effective support to Procurement Officers and clients. Provides well researched analysis of procurement sources and award recommendations. Accurately prepares procurement documents (e.g. tender documents, purchase orders, LCC presentations etc.). Consistently applies appropriate policies, guidelines, procedures and processes. Effectively and timely liaison with concerned parties at all stages of the procurement process
Expected duration : 9 months with one month break every 3 months
Duties and Responsibilities
The Individual Contractor will assist the procurement team in carrying out several procurement related activities in line with the Procurement Manual, Rules and Regulations, Procurement Practitioner’s handbook in the best interest of the Organization.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Procurement and the overall direction of the Chief of Section, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Reviews, records and prioritizes complex purchasing requests and obtains additional information/documentation as required; provides assistance to requisitioners in preparing scope of work and specifications of goods and services; proposes product substitutions consistent with requirements to achieve cost savings; determines the availability of funding sources.
- Identifies and recommends sources of procurement; interview potential suppliers; produces tender documents (e.g. Invitations to Bids, Requests for Proposals and Requests for Quotation) based on the nature of requirements and cost of procurement involved and ensure inclusion of all the pertinent factors as submitted by requisitioners and as per the procurement manual.
- Prepares abstracts of offers and compiles data contained in quotations, proposals and bids to determine which supplier can deliver the required goods/services at the best terms and lowest costs possible with due consideration to quality, delivery time, prompt payment and other discounts, transportation costs, etc.
- Enters into negotiation of terms and conditions of orders under the guidance of Procurement Officers; obtains credit and other information on proposed suppliers.
- Analyzes the potential of suppliers vis-à-vis pre-evaluation criteria set by the organization and advice the Chief Procurement Officer accordingly.
- Prepares draft contracts/agreements in consultations with requisitioners, Chief Procurement Officer, Chief, Supply Chain Management Section as well as Office of Legal Affairs and if required, prepares submission to the Contracts Committee for review and subsequent approval by the authorized official.
- Assists in raising Purchase Orders and ensures that the funds are obligated.
- Maintains relevant internal databases and files; keeps track of any contractual agreements, direct provisioning contracts, etc. and informs affected users of contractual rights and obligations.
- Researches, retrieves and presents information from a variety of internal and external sources on sources of supply, vendors by commodity, etc., as well as obtain specifications for new products and equipment on the market.
- Drafts a variety of correspondence.
- Resolves issues/problems related to delivered goods, including discrepancies between purchase orders and items/quantities shipped or received; prepares and signs Return to Vendor forms for unacceptable and/or damaged goods received.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Chief Procurement Officer and Chief of the Section.
Academic Qualifications : High School Diploma is required. Degree in the field of Procurement/Business Administration/Accounting is an asset. Additional training in the area of IPSAS & Umoja on procurement and logistics front is an advantage.
Experience : At least seven years of progressively responsible experience in the field of procurement/ business administration/accounting or IT is required. Use of procurement-related software and database management is desirable. Experience in the application of UN’s internal procurement policies, processes and procedures in relation to the purchase of wide range of supplies and services would be an asset.
Language : English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Excellent English writing ability is a must. Knowledge of French or another official United Nations language is an advantage.