Title: Program Manager
Location : Dire Dawa
Employment Category : F2
Reporting To : Head of Programs
Direct Reports: TBC
Unit/Department : Programs
Start of Contract & Duration : 12 Months
Posting date : May 21, 2022
Closing date: June 3, 2022
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
Overall Purpose of the Role:
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is implementing humanitarian programmes across the Somali region, with a field office in Jijiga and in process of establishing a field office in Dire Dawa. The focus of DRC’s programs in the region is drought response, WASH, livelihoods, protection and shelter. DRC’s projects aim to meet the urgent needs of the most vulnerable while promoting self-reliance for those displaced by crisis and affected local host populations, while systematically increasing the capacity of local duty bearers and communities to play an important role as a keystone of the responses that affect them. DRC aims to:
? Provide immediate, life-saving assistance and emergency responses to conflict-affected communities
? Implement an integrated Protection response to conflict- and natural disaster-affected communities
? Provide essential general humanitarian programming, with a focus on reliance building interventions
With a complex programme in the region, DRC is seeking a highly qualified, enthusiastic and action-oriented individual for the position of Program Manager to oversee the implementation and management of program in Dire Dawa. The Program Manager will require a strong technical understanding of humanitarian and development interventions including WASH, livelihoods, cash based initiatives, early recovery, protection and DRR programming, participatory and community empowerment techniques. The successful candidate will have in-depth knowledge and understanding of donor regulations, excellent and proven programme management skills including planning, execution, monitoring, reporting, financial management and capacity building.
The Project Manager will be responsible for delivering all programme outcomes on time, within budget and of high standards and quality. The Program Manager will support the Head of Programmes in the adaptation and roll out of key project management tools across the field office. Applicants are expected to have a demonstrated generalist background in the development or humanitarian fields with significant experience in project cycle management, and representation with community and government representatives. Significant experience working on a varety of donor funded program (ECHO, UN, US govt) preferred.
- Enabling and overseeing effective, efficient and timely implementation of the projects in Dire Dawa, in line with submitted proposal, donor requirements and international best practice.
- Work closely with DRC technical teams, in particular protection, emergency, economic recovery, WASH and shelter, to ensure that all activities are in line with core protection principles and best practices and DRC and donor regulations.
- Oversee all steps of the project cycle, including timely implementation of activities, effective and relevant monitoring of activities, timely completion of projects and documentation and reflection of achievements and lessons learned
- Work closely with the area office teams to follow up on progress and provide support to ensure timely completion of activities.Ensure that all contractually agreed activities are implemented, in line with contextual needs.
- Troubleshoot project problems and implementation challenges and identify and implement creative solutions where needed.
- Actively participate in programme team meetings to ensure cross learning with other units and effective coordination.
- Ensure all necessary project documents are in place and updated, including LOUs, PMTs, workplans, detailed implementation plans and BVAs.
- Prepare monthly progress reports, trackers, updated workplan and financial reports for selected project(s)
- Coordinate the production of project narrative and financial reports internally and to donors
- Regularly review and report on progress
Finance and administration
- Serve as budget holder for selected project(s) and ensure that all expenditure is in line with the agreed budget and DRC and donor rules.
- Monitor programme finances and monthly forecasts, and provide guidance to Area teams concerning expenditure and budget projections
- Review and approve expenditure on the project
- Lead on budget vs actual review meetings and provide justifications for deviation
- Proactively identify needs for budget realignment
- Conduct performance management processes for team members
- Closely support and follow up on recruitment for any roles on the project
- Promote positive and collaborative working environment amongst the different teams working on the project(s) in different locations.
- Promote professional development of project staff
Logistics and procurement
- Together with field teams, prepare procurement plans and work with supply chain team to ensure that project supplies are procured in a timely manner, in line with DRC and donor requirements, and project needs.
- Ensure that all project visibility is in line with donor requirements.
Monitoring and evaluation
- Work closely with the MEAL manager to ensure strong focus on monitoring and learning, and ensure that indicators are accurately tracked and that means of verification are in place.
- Ensure that strong accountability mechanisms are in place through the project sites
- Organise regular review and reflection meetings and lead on donor monitoring visits/meetings
- Ensure lessons learned from implementation are effectively analysed and incorporated into future project designs.
- Ensure a quality final evaluation is conducted for the project
Design of project management tools
- Support the development of standard project management tools, including updating/improving existing tools and/or developing new ones that can be utilised across DRC Ethiopia’s portfolio to contribute to continuous improvement.
- Support the Head of Programmes on other project management functions as required
Experience and Technical Competencies : (include years of experience)
- An advanced degree in a related field, such as international relations, migration, human rights, law, or social sciences;
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience working in international humanitarian and/or development aid, preferably with displaced populations in project management with Supervisory experience managing multi unit teams.
- Technical expertise and experience in protection, shelter, WASH and/or livelihoods programming.
- Robust analytical and strategic planning skills.
- Strong understanding of project cycle management, and familiarity with planning and management tools
- Familiarity with various donor compliance regulations, in particular ECHO, UN, US govt.
- Demonstrated understanding of grants management and contractual compliance
- Demonstrable track record of meeting or exceeding programme targets, whilst maintaining technical quality.
- Highly diplomatic with excellent political awareness and understanding.
- High-level communications and interpersonal skills.
- A demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with host governments, donors, partners, local organizations, and other stakeholders.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
Education (include certificates, licenses etc.):
- Master’s degree in law, social sciences, international development, or other relevant field.
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Excellent verbal and written English and Amharic.
- Knowledge of Somali an added advantage.
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence : Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating : Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead : Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating : Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity : Acting in line with DRC's vision and values
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our
application form on
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the stated website no later than
June 3, 2022
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.ngo
Gender Equality : DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities : DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit