Title: Program Manager/Deputy Area Manager(Re-Advertised)
Reports to: Area Manager
Start of Contract & Duration: 12 Months
Posting date: February 12, 2019
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
Overall purpose of the role:
The main purpose of this position is to support the Area Manager in the development, implementation and management of DRC's humanitarian and emergency programming objectives and strategic direction of the organization's current and future projects in Gambella.
To achieve this, the Deputy Area Manager, must demonstrate generalist knowledge of the organization’s primary sectors of intervention, including, but not limited to refugee camp management, protection, shelter, WASH, livelihoods and peace building; work collaboratively with other program staff as well as support staff in Gambella, the organization’s technical advisors, technical leads & coordinators based in Addis Ababa and represents DRC in Gambella region, in the Area Manager's absence.
The Deputy Area Manager will be expected to become well versed in the policies and procedures of DRC’s support functions, including finance, administration and human resources, as well as logistics and procurement. The Deputy Area Manager will provide daily support and guidance to project cycle management, ensuring successful implementation of all project activities and will work collaboratively with the Area Manager to monitor the operational context.
In addition to the aforementioned programmatic and support responsibilities, the Deputy Area Manager will be tasked to contribute in program development, implementation coordination and representation with various stakeholders. In the absence of Area Managers, the deputy Area Manager will undertake the overall external representation of the office at the site level, including the coordination fora, with other agencies and with ARRA, and for providing the direct link in communications between DRC's Gambella field offices and the organization's Addis Ababa office.
The position requires a high degree of responsibility, a combination of thorough emergency planning with the ability to act with flexibility and responsively, and understanding of complex organizational charts including horizontal liaising among different senior managers. In this capacity, the Deputy Area Manager will collaborates with the Area Manager to provide safety and security management of the Gambella-based team and ensures all safety and security measures, including contingency plans and standard operating procedures, are in place and well understood by all staff.
The position reports directly to the Area Manager in Gambella.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
Programming, management and Coordination
- Contribute to the overall strategic direction and programming for DRC’s field operations in Gambella region, including co-leading humanitarian analyses and the development of project proposals.
- Supports the supervision and implementation of DRC’s project portfolio in Gambella region targeting refugee, IDP and host communities, contributing to or leading regular programmatic and budgetary reviews and implementation, staffing and procurement planning.
- In consultations with the Area Manager oversees staff recruitment and daily management of the Gambella-based team, including ensuring positive and collaborative working relationships in line with DRC's Code of Conduct and assessing staff capacity to provide or recommend relevant training or coaching as needed.
- In the absence of the Area Manager, assume responsibility for managing day-to-day the function of Gambella office, ensuring compliant financial operations and budgeting, administration, human resources, logistics, procurement and security in compliance with DRC and donor regulations.
- Monitor, evaluate and suggest changes and improvements in Emergency program based on observations and discussions with the Area Manager for the emergency response.
- Contributing to or leading the recruitment of national staffing, and capacity building of staff for the emergency response
- In the absence of Area Manager, or if required, represents DRC publicly at the site level, including in coordination fora, with other agencies Local Authorities and with ARRA, and provides the direct link in communications between DRC's Gambella field office and the Addis Ababa office.
Finance and Administration
- Maintain a budget overview of the project activities, staffing and procurement, and collaborate closely with the Area Manager and Addis Ababa based finance team to monitor spending and ensure the timely utilization of all grants.
- Ensure full compliance with DRC and donor financial guidelines and policies.
- In the absence of the Area Manager, and if assigned as OIC, DAM has the only approval authority
- Collaborate with the Finance Coordinator and oversees responsibility for daily cash counts as well as cashbook reconciliations.
- Support the Area Manager and Support Team in the development of budgets and spending plans.
- Support the Area Manager and Support Team to develop and maintain a budget overview of all projects and activities and collaborate regularly with the Area Manager and HOSS to monitor spending and ensure the timely utilization of all grants.
- If assigned as OIC or as required, signs the Purchase Requests, Purchase Orders and other procurement documents under its IDRA limits
Logistics and Procurement
- Collaborate with the Area Manager, Technical Managers and Logistics Team Leader in Gambella, including Addis Ababa based logistics and procurement team to develop and maintain projects procurement plans.
- Collaborate with the Area Manager to ensure logistics and procurement processes are in place and fully compliant with DRC and donor policies and standards.
- Collaborate with the Area Manager and Logistics and Procurement Officer to ensure field-based records are well managed and fulfill DRC and donor requirements and are always up-to-date for use in donor reports.
- Monitors project budget lines to ensure spending is in line with project timelines and implementation schedules.
- Supports site-level recruitment processes, especially for the project officers and assistants, and ensures that relevant staffing structures are in place and are reflective of appropriate gender balance.
- Promotes professional development by identifying training and capacity building opportunities and ensure staff are well versed in DRC's code of conduct, accountability, respectful dialogue with the refugee and host population, and prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse.
- Collaborate with the Area Manager and Addis Ababa human resources department to ensure staff evaluations are conducted on a regular basis.
Safety and Security
- Supports the Area Manager in ensuring the responsibility for staff safety in the area of operation.
- Support the Area Manager in ensuring that all relevant information regarding safety, security and the context is collected, updated and shared in a regular and timely manner.
- In the Area Manager's absence, participates to the ASMT Gambella security briefings and collaborate with DRC’s Safety Advisor, HOSS or Country Director to make decisions and manage security incidents at a local level.
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: Acting in line with DRC's vision and values
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in general project management, managing budgets and activity implementation, and drafting reports and analyses.
- Minimum 4 years’ experience managing staff, preferably at senior level.
- Demonstrated experience working in emergency settings and working with refugees/forced displacement settings is mandatory.
- Knowledge and working experience with various donors such as EC-ECHO, USAID, UNHCR, UNICEF, DANIDA, DFID, on issues relating to refugees and/or humanitarian emergencies, is an asset.
- Technical understanding of at least one of the following sectors: Camp Management, Shelter, WASH, Protection and Livelihoods.
- Excellent analytical and writing skills.
- Strong written and spoken English.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office software packages and experience using data analysis tools
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective and working relationships with staff members, government officials, and other organizations and stakeholders
- Experience with capacity building and in designing and facilitating trainings and workshops for diverse audience
- Excellent proficiency in MS Office packages
- Experience in living and working within cross-cultural and remote environments
- Ability to work well under high pressure and to take on increasing responsibilities
- Independent thinking and proactive management style
- For this position, early availability to take up the position will be an important consideration in the selection process
- Graduate degree in law, social sciences, education, international development, or other relevant field
- Excellent proficiency in written and spoken Amharic and English
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.dk under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the stated website no later than May 26, 2019.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.dk.
Gender Equality : DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit.