SPECIAL VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Open to Internal & External Candidates
Programme Assistant – Community Engagement
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Type of Appointment
SVN, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date
As soon as possible
18.04.2020 – 02.05.2020
Organizational Context and Scope
IOM Ethiopia’s Migration Management Unit (MMU) works closely with the Government of Ethiopia (GoE) to improve migration management and governance including Countering Trafficking in Persons (TiP), Smuggling of Migrants (SoM) and promoting regular labour migration channels as well as the migration-development nexus. In response to the challenges posed by irregular migration, TiP and SoM, MMU implements programmes with a focus on migrant protection and assistance including assisted voluntary return and reintegration (AVRR), voluntary humanitarian return (VHR), Counter-trafficking (CT), humanitarian assistance to migrants in situations of vulnerability. In order to promote better migration governance and to foster the developmental potential of migration, MMU also works on technical cooperation and capacity building of government and non-government stakeholders with migration management mandates, labour migration and human development (LHD), and Immigration and Border Management (IBM). The diversity of its programming makes it crucial for MMU to ensure the mainstreaming of crosscutting issues such as migrant protection and the adoption of a right-based approach throughout project cycles.
General functions :
Under the overall supervision of the Programme Coordinator (Migration Management) and direct supervision of the National Communications Officer National Officer – Labour Migration and Human Development, the incumbent will assist with the implementation of labour migration and migrant protection projects. In particular, he/she will:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Utilize participatory methodology and adult education techniques to mobilize communities for initiatives to address irregular migration and promote safe and regular migration.
2. Engage community members in design, planning, executing, and monitoring of community based migrant protection and labour mobility activities, ensuring active community participation in related interventions at Zonal, Woreda and Kebele levels.
3. In coordination with National Communications Officer and Labour Migration and Development Officer, devise information dissemination sessions, tools/materials (e.g. drama, video, documentary films, Forum Theatre, radio programs, etc) and messages to promote behaviour change in the relevant communities, and monitor their timely dissemination to target audiences.
4. Assist in identifying and designing awareness and behaviour change communication tools supporting informed decision on migration tailored to segmented members of target audience.
5. Participate in data collection, community needs assessments, and community meetings to support the identification and implementation of strategies that promote active community participation in interventions addressing irregular migration and promoting safe and regular migration.
6. Provide trainings for community actors (government and community leaders, gatekeepers, teachers, students etc) employing community conversation and peer education activities in migration prone.
7. Contribute to drafting of project activity, interim and final reports.
8. Coordinate and provide administrative and logistical support to BCC and LHD meetings/workshops/trainings.
9. Perform other tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent preferably in Social Sciences, Social Work, Law or international relations with a combination of training and experience, or
· 4 years of professional work experience years of experience for bachelor’s degree holders or equivalent,
· Experience supporting implementation and coordination of community engagement, labour migration and/or migrant protection and assistance interventions
· Proven ability to maintain strong working relations with community-based governmental and non-governmental actors
· Personal commitment, drive for results, flexibility, and ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from various cultures and professional background
· Good project support, communication, and inter-personal skills
· Ability to work under stressful working conditions such as tight timelines strong analytical, organizational and reporting skills.
· Fluency in English and Amharic (oral and written).
· Working knowledge of other local languages such as Oromiffa, Tigrigna and Somali is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
· Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
· Integrity and transparency : maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
· Professionalism : demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioral indicators level 3
· Teamwork : develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
· Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
· Managing and sharing knowledge : continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
· Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
· Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to Apply
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application/ motivation letter enclosed with only detail CV written in English via our e-mail address [email protected] , by May 02, 2020 at the latest, referring the position title and Vacancy number in the subject line of your email; no photocopies of educational/training certificates is required at this stage; applicant who doesn`t follow the required application procedure will automatically be disqualified from the competition.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We strongly encourage qualified women to apply!