Ethiopian Media Women Association (EMWA) is a non-partisan, non-for-profit association established by likeminded female journalists and media professionals.Since 1999, EMWA has been working towards the realization of its objectives by implementing various projects and programs. In its objectives, EMWA has been working on raising the skills of media professionals and practitioners, enabling women to own and become beneficiaries of alternative community media, creating gender sensitive media in Ethiopia, improving women’s access and participation in the media, improving the image of women in the media, taking the media as a target and representation of women in the media as well as the public’s perspective.
To envisage the existence of a vibrant professional association capable of creating professionally skilled, educated and confident Ethiopian female journalists who can bring a difference both nationally and internationally.
Increase the engagement of Ethiopian female journalists and media practitioners in areas of advocacy, capacity building, and managerial positions in the Ethiopian media.
Duration of employment: 1 Year with possibility of extension based on performance
- Coordinate and implement all project activities of the association with minimum supervision
- Prepare project reports as required by funding agencies, and submit in due time
- Monitor, analyse and evaluate projects to ensure achievement of project objectives, make sure findings of best practices are documented and feed in to the planning process.
- Develop and maintain a strong working relationship with all local and international partners
- Keep project documents, and other files of the association in a proper manner
- Participate in meetings with stakeholders, partners and other actors representing the association
- Work jointly with the Chief Executive Director and other staff of EMWA in planning and scheduling of activities, and ensure the smooth implementation of project events and activities as well as the overall operations of the EMWA office;
- Involve in EMWA membership increment activities, and managing membership data, provide regular support to regional focal persons of EMWA
- Develop project proposals, identify potential opportunities for fresh business, and new or leveraged funding sources;
- Analyze critical and emerging issues in the course of project implementation and give the necessary and appropriate responses.
- Develop and ensure visibility for the association
- Perform other tasks that may be required
Qualification and Experience
Educational qualification s
- A minimum of a bachelor degree in journalism, communication, gender, project management or other social sciences
- At least two years of relevant working experience in project administration, project management or other similar positions.
- Experience working in civil society organizations is an added advantage
- Competence to handle multiple tasks, and meet short deadlines
- Language skills: Effective communication skills in Amharic and English (written and oral) with strong presentation and writing skills; Understanding of other Ethiopian languages is an added advantage
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with national and international staff and partners;
- Self-motivated, highly organized and detail oriented;
- Computer skills: Basic computer skills (Word, Excel and power point); and proficiency of using internet and social media outlets. Other computer skills, especially with digital media, are an added advantage.
- Other skills: taking initiative and working under minimum supervision are highly required
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit their curriculum vitae (CV), and copies of credentials of educational and work experience, with an application letter (1 page maximum) through email [email protected] or [email protected]
Women applicants are highly encouraged to apply
*EMWA is an equal opportunity employer.