INTERNAL/EXTERNAL VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
REGIONAL CHILD PROTECTION AND SAFEGUARDING ADVISOR
(Job Ref: SOS/23/11)
Position title: Regional Child Protection and Safeguarding Advisor
Working location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Supervisor: Regional Director of Programmes – ESAF
Region: East and Southern Africa (ESAF)
Context of the position
SOS Children’s Villages International (SOS CVI) is non-governmental and non-denominational organization working with communities, partners and states to ensure that the rights of all children are fulfilled in every society. SOS CVI is a global federation working to protect and care for children who have lost parental care, or who stand at risk of losing the care. We respect all religions and cultures and work with trusted partners in places where we can contribute to social development. Everything we do is made possible through the generous support of sponsors and donors, institutional and corporate partners, and loyal friends worldwide.
Envisioning that every child belongs to a family and grows up with love, respect and security, we exist to build families for children in need, we help them shape their own futures, and we share in the development of their communities. Everything we do is guided by the firm belief that no child should grow up alone and that we need to improve care for children who are at risk, enabling them to overcome precarious conditions and to succeed in life. To achieve our mission, our strategy for the upcoming decade focuses on ensuring the best care of children, innovation, and effective collaboration with more partners. Our core values guiding who we are and what we do include courage to take action, commitment to keep our promises, trust to believe in each other, and accountability to be reliable Partners.
This position supports programme development within the ESAF region focusing for countries under his/her direct supervision and advisory. As the main counterpart of national programmes staff, the Child Protection and Safeguarding Advisor builds capacity of and provides technical expertise to national Programme teams specifically on alternative care, programme planning and child care reforms.
As a member of the Programme Development team the Child Protection and Safeguarding Advisor provides quality technical leadership and advice for the design, implementation and monitoring of Child Protection in ESAF region; Provides technical guidance to NAs teams and ensures that high-quality activities are implemented in a timely manner; Leads on developing proposals and securing funding for child protection related projects; Ensures the coordination of all Child Protection activities through active participation in coordination meetings and working groups; Ensures qualitative support to countries on child protection, especially on sensitization, prevention, reporting and responding of cases, and monitoring and evaluation of the implementation of the Child Protection Policy.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Ensure development of clear regional strategies on child protection and safeguarding. Based on review of child protection data, advice from Director of Programs section, consultation with National Directors or, on occasion, based on request from National Associations, identifies the most egregious violation of child right and identifies the decision maker for the strategically chosen violation.
· Coordinate, support and ensure the consistency of MA strategic and annual planning on child protection for MA’s identified as priority countries for child protection.
· Conducts analysis of the unfolding dynamics of the Child Protection issues and identifies key players and decision-makers, noting that the key posts are fluid and change regularly.
· Provides information, advice and expertise in the field of work, in line with the priorities identified.
· Finds information on important activities and events of the civil society, international organizations, NGOs and suggest to the Regional PD Director and the appropriate participation.
· Supports the office of Child Protections coordinators in the National Offices to organize face-to-face meetings with the decision maker or decision maker’s organization/political structure.
· Liaises with partners, recommend, organize and prepare meetings with key potential partner organizations as agreed with the Director of Programming.
· Leads the development of tools, systems and structures to support child protection and safeguarding programmes in the region by interpreting the organization’s policy frameworks and actively participate in to the development of the work on child protection
· Consequent to the identification of decision makers provides advice to National Associations, or other high level bodies, on formulation of the advocacy message, the approach and the strategy to be undertaken.
Knowledge, skills, qualifications, abilities and behavioral competences:
· Advanced university degree (at the master’s level) in an area of Law or Social Sciences. Specialization in Child Protection, Child Rights or Human Rights will be an asset.
· Familiarity with economic and social development processes and their effects on the advancement of children and the wellbeing of their family and impact on decisions for the protection of children.
· Minimum of 12 years of technical and/or supervisory experience in Child Protection and Safeguarding, Child Rights or Human Rights Programmes. Significantly with Child protection and Safeguarding related Organizations.
· At least 5 years of relevant experience within ESAF region and ability to travel as required and in difficult situations.
· Capacity to develop and coordinate networks of individuals and institutions in a team approach that provide programme support to SOS Children’s Villages International and counterpart staff.
· A proven administration and management of human beings carrying out complex analytical and programme development activities related to Child Protection and Safeguarding.
· Proven ability to conceptualize, innovate, plan and execute ideas as well as to transfer knowledge and skills
· Leadership, organizational and managerial abilities and good analytical, negotiating, communication and advocacy skills.
· Ability to work in international, regional and multicultural environments
· Training skills on Child protection and Safeguarding related programmes.
· Ability to develop and implement programmes and projects, and to coordinate activities.
· Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation mechanisms.
· Up to date computer knowledge is required.
· Proven ability to get along well with others and work as part of a team.
How to apply
If you believe you are the right candidate for the above position, please send your application letter, detailed curriculum vitae (CV), and photocopies of academic certificates, and names and contact details of three referees.
Applications that are late, or do not have CV or certificates attached, will be disqualified.