Position Title : Resources Management Officer
Duty Station : Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 04 September 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity .
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Djibouti; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and direct supervision of the Senior Resource Management Officer (SRMO) in the IOM Special Liaison Office in Addis Ababa, in close coordination with relevant units in IOM RO in Nairobi and IOM HQs, the incumbent will be responsible for resources management support for the implementation, monitoring/evaluation and coordination of relevant programme activities in Emergency and Post-Crisis area by IOM in Ethiopia.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Forecast cash flows according to Emergency, Disarmament, Demobilization and Re-integration (DDR) & Transition and Recovery Division (TRD) Projects in the Mission, ensuring closer coordination with Sub Offices where Emergency, DDR & TRD Projects are implemented and ensure daily control of funds disbursed; ensure funding is received in accordance with donor agreements.
- Provide support to Project Managers managing Emergency, DDR & TRD Projects throughout the project cycle to ensure compliance with IOM’s policies and procedures and any donor-specific requirements.
- Maintain the financial reporting system to ensure timely provision of information to relevant units within IOM.
- Assist Project Managers preparing and reviewing Emergency, DDR & TRD Projects monthly Staff projectization.
- Suggest procedural improvements and assist in training local staff in the relevant areas of administration and finance.
- Review existing systems and procedures and, if necessary, recommend possible improvements to strengthen internal monitoring, evaluation, and control systems to improve efficiency and effectiveness. Train the local project support staff on IOM’s administrative and financial policies and procedures.
- Undertake quality control checks on requests for payment, purchase requests and other requests that will result in financial obligations by Sub Offices.
- In close coordination with SRMO, supervise all HUBs within the Country under IOM Management ensuring proper Budget Controls and Internal Controls are adhered to.
- Assist in the supervision of the Mission’s administrative functions, including recruitment, retention, promotion, separation, and other related activities, in accordance with the Organization’s policies and procedures in close coordination with the SRMO as required.
- Liaise with relevant units at Headquarters, Manila Administrative Centre, Panama Administrative Centre and Regional Office Kenya with regards to the financial activities related to Emergency, DDR & TRD Projects.
- Conduct regular monitoring and close direct supervision of Sub-office Finance and Administrative activities where Emergency Projects are implemented including frequent travel to Sub Offices to ensure all transactions comply with IOM Administrative rules and regulations, in close coordination with SRMO.
- Assist the SRMO in facilitation of internal and external/projects audits related to Emergency, DDR & TRD Projects.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Professional certification as Charted Accountant or Certified Public Accountant is an advantage.
• Experience in financial management, accounting and administration;
• Experience with international institutions and knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting.
• Ability to prepare clear and concise reports, supervise staff and coordinate administrative activities;
• Good level of computer literacy, in particular good knowledge of MS Office specifically excel;
• Knowledge of IOM/UN accounting systems, software, and procedures is an advantage;
• Standards (IPSAS) and SAP is highly desirable.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Amharic, French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database ( https://whed.net/home.php ).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 04 September 2020 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 22.08.2020 to 04.09.2020
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2020 176 Resources Management Officer (P2) Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (56578535)
Posting: Posting NC56578536 (56578536) Released