INTERNAL/EXTERNAL VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance. For more information, visit website: https://www.icrc.org/
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) Delegation in Ethiopia is looking to hire an experienced, highly motivated and qualified person to fill the position of Senior Accountant in Addis Ababa.
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists in handling the book keeping of medium/ large operation in various currencies
- Maintains and develops contacts with various interlocutors under supervision
- Explains financial procedures to the “clients”
- Ensures respect of financial procedures and guidelines
- Processes financial data on computer
- Provides end of month closing reports mainly independently
- Reports of any irregularities immediately
- Provides financial analysis and statistics mainly independently
Financial Rules and Procedures
- Explains the ICRC financial structure, rules, regulations to collaborators.
- Participates in the elaboration of the internal financial manual/ guidelines for the delegation.
- Explains the ICRC financial structure and allocation/ financial procedures to all concerned.
- Applies allocation procedures to safe guard wise utilization of funds.
- Ensures that the rules and procedures in every payment are respected.
- Extraction of financial and analytical reports and analyze for any possible irregularities.
- Approves expenses as per the organizations threshold.
- Advise and support other Accountants and report any irregularities for Accounting Manager.
- Facilitate the final dispatch of the financial documents and reports to Manila in collaboration with the finance team.
- Prepares check/Letter payments after verification of the necessary documents and follow-up the regular update of the bank balance on the database.
- Enters bank related transactions into the accounting application the same day they occurred.
- Prepare bank reconciliation twice a Month.
- Organizes fund transfers to the sub-delegations and reconciles external transfer accounts on monthly basis.
- Collects bank statements and bank advises and follows up the recording.
- Finalizes the payment of monthly credit bills for clients before closing, respecting the time frame of agreement.
- Supervises the timely audits of field accounts respecting the closing time frame of the delegation.
- Coordinates the replies for all field account requests in collaboration with the Finance Head.
- Coaches, assists and supervises Administrative Assistants in the field, for Finance issues and replaces them as needed.
In the absence of Accountants or if it is needed, He/she will;
- Receives, records and cross checks cash payments and financial documents handed over by the cashier daily bases.
- Enters vouchers into accounting application (IRIS) on a daily basis, respecting the cash hour set.
- Performs daily cash control and produces daily cash statement using the accounting software.
- Ensures proper entries of expenditure, income, and transfer, respecting the ICRC chart of account
- Establishes complete accounting documents, including invoice and voucher, duly stamped, approved and signed.
- Applies the ICRC financial procedures for eventual discrepancies and reports them immediately to the Finance Head.
- Takes part in the cash flow management and maintains sufficient amount of cash for daily use in the delegation
- Charges or records the expatriates’ account for private expenses, like telephone, fax, internet, duty free, etc. on monthly basis, and files copies for future reference.
- Files all cash related vouchers and makes them ready for final signature and dispatch to Manila.
- Provides the relevant inputs for Manila’s comment and facilitates timely reply.
- Audits and corrects field accounts respecting the closing time frame and prepares comments right after the closing.
- Settles Partner organization, Ethiopian Red cross society (ERCS) advances after checking their document and corresponding with the MoU.
- Follows up the budget utilization and reports the status to the program responsible.
- Liaises with, coaches and assist the ERCS accountant.
- Supervises and reduces the number of working advances and pending invoices by ensuring and enforcing early settlement before monthly closing.
- Checks the completeness of all necessary documents for the monthly closing (specimen signatures, list of expatriates, list of premises, monthly local staff recapitulation, number of copiers, number of daily workers, etc.)
- Assists the Finance Head with the preparation of the monthly and yearly accounting closure and reports when required.
- Compiles all financial documents for dispatch to Manila on monthly basis respecting the time frame.
- Reviews accounts with accounting application for possible corrections.
- Is responsible in offsetting and balancing income statement and balance sheet accounts.
- Preparation of monthly VAT refund requests and follow up the balance.
Filing and dispatching of accounting documents
- Keeping files of correspondence letters, financial reports, and original utility bills by month and by type (residences/offices) in the absence of the messenger/ liaison officer.
- Organizes office activities according to priorities.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCIES REQUIRED
- A minimum of BA degree in Accounting/management/economics and other related subjects and over 5 years of experience if Financial management. Working in International Humanitarian organization do have an added value.
How to Apply
You can submit application & CV with copies of relevant documents in person to the ICRC Delegation in Addis Ababa (Around Megenagna, in front of EIAR, around Egziabher ab church OR, send to the ICRC Delegation Addis Ababa, Human Resources Department, P.O.Box 5701, Addis Ababa.
Closing date: December 18, 2020
Women applicants and persons with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted at all stages of the selection process.