SPECIAL VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT (SVN)
Open to Internal & External Candidates
Site Management Senior Assistant – EPC
Qoloji, Somali region
Type of Appointment
SVN, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date
As soon as possible
18.01.2021 to 31.01.2021
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal & External candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy.
General functions : Under the general supervision of the SMS Project Manager, the technical supervision of the SMS Project Officer and administrative supervision of IOM Head of Sub-Office, the Site Management Senior Assistant will be responsible for the following:
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
1. Lead field level SMS activities and field team in coordination with SMS Field Officer.
2. Lead SMS project implementation through undertaking distributions, hygiene awareness raising, and construction works.
3. Coordinate field mission plans in consultation with the SMS Field Officer.
4. Coordinate the monitoring of laborers at field sites and track material receipt, storage, and delivery at sites.
5. Ensure that all visibility material required by the donors and IOM are procured and sent to the field. Also liaise with field staff to make sure these materials are being used properly.
6. Participate in assessments of disaster affected communities, including IDP settlements, seasonal assessments, joint rapid assessments, and intention surveys in the region with the government and humanitarian partners.
7. Contribute to sub-office updates on emerging humanitarian issues and gaps relating to SMS and EPC areas of intervention.
8. In coordination with the Head of Sub-Office, liaise with project partners for timely implementation, coordinated activities and efficient use of resources and logistics.
9. Provide weekly updates on regional SMS activities and monthly indicator report to EPC SMS Manager, and implement feedback provided by EPC staff on the weekly situation and monthly progress reports.
10. Liaise with partner organizations and relevant Regional State authorities including Regional Disaster Prevention and Preparedness Bureau (RDPPB) to coordinate harmonious implementation of EPC projects in the region.
11. Represent IOM in relevant forums including bi-weekly SMS, Shelter and NFI Cluster meeting, Durable Solutions Working Group, weekly Humanitarian Coordination Forum, weekly UN Inter-Sector Coordination Meeting, and participate in any other relevant regional and zonal coordination meetings in close collaboration with UN OCHA and humanitarian partners in the region and update EPC unit.
12. Participate in development and delivery of trainings for EPC Unit to enhance sub-office performance standards and service delivery to our beneficiaries.
13. Draft and submit monthly and weekly reports.
14. Comply with UNDSS security protocol and internal IOM procedures.
15.. Perform such other duties as may be assigned by supervisor.
· Master’s/Bachlors degree in Business Administration, Finance, Management, Accounting, or a related field from an accredited academic institution
· 7 years relevant work experience for BA Degree holders and 5 years for Masters Degree holders
· Experience related to disaster response and transition and recovery programs with humanitarian agencies.
· Practical experience and detailed knowledge of the disaster risk management, with emphasis on disaster response and recovery programs is essential.
· Thorough knowledge of data protection issues in emergency operation and utilization of Microsoft Office application including databases is required.
· Ability to adapt technical knowledge and expertise to specific project or activities; ability to work with colleagues from different cultural and professional backgrounds; flexibility to perform and deliver in difficult and rapidly changing situations is essential
· In depth knowledge of the broad range of migration related subject areas dealt with by the Organization; and,
· Knowledge of UN and bilateral donor programming.
· Knowledge of financial rules and regulations.
· Knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS)
· Thorough knowledge of spoken and written English and Somali is required
· Working knowledge of other national languages is preferred.
VALUES AND COMPETENCIES
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
· Inclusion & respect for diversity : Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
· Integrity & transparency : Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
· Professionalism : Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
· Teamwork : Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
· Delivering results : Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
· Managing and sharing knowledge : Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
· Accountability : Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
· Communication : Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies –
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust : creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application/ motivation letter enclosed with only detail CV written in English via our e-mail address [email protected] , by Jan 31, 2021 at the latest, referring the position title and Vacancy number in the subject line of your email; no photocopies of educational/training certificates is required at this stage; applicant who doesn`t follow the required application procedure will automatically be disqualified from the competition.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We strongly encourage qualified women to apply!
Qualified women to apply!