Title: Team Leader- Protection
Reports to: Area Manager
Grade – G
Start of Contract & Duration: 1 year
Posting date: October 21, 2020
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Protection Team Leader will be responsible for leading the protection monitoring and community-based protection activities in IDP sites in Fafan zone in Somali region. The Protection Team Leader will be responsible for the day-to-day technical supervision and management of the Protection teams deployed in the field locations to ensure the accuracy and the technical rigor of the activities implemented. The Protection Team Leader will work closely with DRC’s Protection Manager to ensure effective, relevant and holistic protection programming delivering activities in line with protection standards and country office protection strategy. Furthermore, the Protection Team Leader is expected to provide support to the project cycle management, proposal development and program strategy as well as handle external relationships with stakeholders
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Technical Support :
- Providing technical guidance to the protection officers to ensure quality and adherence to national and international protection standards and guidelines.
- Develop and deliver protection training for staff and beneficiaries, including PFA and Protection monitoring trainings
- Lead or contribute to assessments and mappings, and identify protection needs.
- Support in the development of protection monitoring and assessment tools
- Technically guide the implementation of Individual protection assistance, protection monitoring and community based protection activities
- Supporting protection programme development, including project design and developing of proposals
General Management and Support:
- Manage and technically supervise the Protection Officers and provide leadership, day-to-day support and guidance. Build the capacity of protection staff through mentoring and training.
- Promote team building and contribute to a respective and positive working environment.
- Plan and oversee the Protection team and protection activities, producing work and activity plans, and coordinating inputs from DRC’s supporting units, particularly logistics and finance.
- In collaboration with the Protection Manager, ensuring implementation of protection activities according to programme commitments.
- Identify training and capacity building opportunities for protection staff and ensure that all protection staff are conversant with protection concepts, DRC’s code of conduct, humanitarian principles, accountability, and prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse.
- In coordination with supervisor liaise with governmental officials, international and national organization and site structures on DRC’s behalf.
- Attending and contribute to relevant coordination mechanisms.
- Ensuring appropriate financial reporting on all project activities, in cooperation with the Protection Manager and DRC finance and administration staff.
- Ensure that ethical and statistically-sound data collection and protection-related information management systems are in place and used for analysis, planning, evaluation, and advocacy.
- Compile and provide weekly and monthly reporting on all protection activities, developments in the external context and humanitarian situation, and on project implementation progress. This includes submitting weekly and monthly report to the M&E and to external partners.
- Contribute to donor report and external report developments.
- Provide ongoing general monitoring of the operating context to ensure relevance and accountability to DRC’s beneficiary populations.
- Maintaining accurate and comprehensive files of project activities, outputs, materials, and other relevant documentation
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
· Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
· Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
· Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
· Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
· Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
- Bachelor degree in social sciences, law, social work, international development, or other relevant field from a recognized institution.
- Minimum 4 years of experience in an entry to mid level position, with experience in the field of humanitarian response and refugee/IDP protection working for an international NGO, UN agency or relevant ministry or local authority.
- Experience in project and staff management is a requirement
- Hands-on experience with protection monitoring is highly preferable
- Experience working with displaced and/or conflict affected populations, such as refugees or IDP, with a focus on protection (Child Protection and/or SGBV).
- Strong analytical and writing skills, with the ability to produce well-written and succinct written documents for external use.
- Strong planning, organization and problem solving skills with ability to work both independently and within a team in a demanding work environment.
- Integrity, strong work ethic, and ability to consistently meet deadlines under pressure.
- Experience of working in an emergency setting.
- Strong inter personal skills and Staff management skills
- Commitment to learning and implementing organizational policies and procedures.
- Full proficiency in Microsoft Office.