The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance.
For more information, visit website: https://www.icrc.org/
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) Delegation in Ethiopia is looking to hire an experienced, highly motivated and qualified person to fill the position of Agronomist 2 (12 months Fixed Term contract) based in Addis Ababa with frequent field visits.
Agronomist 2 designs, plans, implements and monitors the Economic Security (EcoSec) Unit’s agriculture programmes in line with the country strategy, under supervision and with limited coaching and support from their hierarchical superior.
- Internally, interacts with the delegation’s EcoSec team and with technical reference persons at delegation or regional level.
- Externally, represents the ICRC to technical authorities and organizations whose work relates to the EcoSec agriculture programme.
- Understands and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
- Understands and adheres to the ICRC Code of Conduct
- Understands the roles of the components of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
- Respects and observes staff regulations and security rules at all times
- Represents the ICRC in a professional manner at all times
- Develops and maintains a pleasant and conducive working environment with colleagues and line managers
- Performs all duties with the highest level of confidentiality in the interest of the employees and the ICRC
- May be asked to perform tasks not covered in this job description and to provide support to other departments when necessary
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Contributes to the understanding and analysis of the general economic security situation of ICRC target populations and the humanitarian situation and its consequences (displacement, need gaps).
- Participates in planning, implementation and monitoring of specific EcoSec projects (emergency response, livelihood support or income generating activities) within the framework and in accordance with the objectives set in the Planning for Results exercise.
- Contributes to the design of agriculture strategy and programs, including the finalization of project proposal and the definition of resources needed.
- Ensures the implementation and monitoring of all Agro-activities including need assessments, beneficiary selection, data collection & analysis, reporting.
- In collaboration with the responsible authorities, develops, implements and/or assists in training of agriculture extension workers and provides them with technical support.
- Identifies certified suppliers of agricultural inputs to ensure the procurement of quality seeds in the quantities required and according to specifications.
- Liaises with support Departments (Logistics & Finance) to ensure the timely procurement of agricultural inputs, according to national guidelines and standards.
- Shares all information related to the agriculture program with the EcoSec Delegate and other ICRC colleagues, so as to improve the understanding of activities implemented and related challenges.
- Maintains a network of interlocutors working in the field of agriculture (national/regional/local authorities, NGOs, FAO, etc.), ensuring that they are aware of the agricultural program and activities.
- Represents the ICRC in meetings (e.g. DRM-Agriculture Task Force), seminars and workshops related to the agriculture sector with other humanitarian organisations and governmental authorities.
- Is accountable for the correct use of the resources allocated to the agriculture program.
- Conducts assessments and identifies adequate responses (in-kind distributions, cash-based interventions, livelihood support programs).
- Contributes to the various institutional internal reports (activity reports, weekly highlights, FTR, monthly statistics and quarterly EcoSec reports) and ensures that they are finalized timely and according to EcoSec reporting guidelines and standards
- Organize and conducts field trips as part of a team, or individually.
- Establishes/maintains good relationships with the ERCS representatives in the field (branch secretary, volunteers, etc.), ensuring that the branch representatives are aware of ICRC’s presence, program and activities.
- Collects data using standard data-collection tools and devices, performs mid-level qualitative and quantitative data analysis, interprets basic quantitative and qualitative data analysis and describes results and produces data visualizations.
- Identifies lessons learnt and good practices and ensures they are consistently applied to EcoSec programs
- Integrates best practice in terms of accountability to beneficiaries throughout the programme-cycle design.
- Contributes to organizing and delivering capacity-building activities.
- Follows up on all work-related messages and correspondence with the relevant contacts and departments
- Is aware of the delegation’s objectives and has a good knowledge of the Movement and other contacts relevant to the position
- Collects and shares information so as to improve the ICRC’s understanding of the environment and humanitarian trends and responses
- Represents the ICRC in an appropriate way during activities, in meetings and in the field, and avoids any activity that may reflect negatively on the ICRC’s image
- Takes responsibility for their own professional learning and development
- Upon request, participates in other EcoSec programs based on operational priorities
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCIES REQUIRED
- Bachelors degree in Agriculture or related field
- Minimum 5 years of work experience in similar field
- Good command (Spoken and written) of English
How to Apply
You can submit application & CV with copies of relevant documents in person to the ICRC Delegation in Addis Ababa (Around Megenagna, in front of EIAR, around Egziabher ab church OR, send to the ICRC Delegation Addis Ababa, Human Resources Department, P.O.Box 5701, Addis Ababa.
Closing date: May 13, 2021
Women and persons with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted at all stages of the selection process