Stichting Wageningen Research (SWR) is an international NGO registered in Ethiopia since March 2021 with the FDRE Agency for Civil Society Organizations. The organization is established with the objectives of promoting a more resilient, inclusive and sustainable food systems in Ethiopia. One of the projects implemented by SWR is Ethiopia-Netherlands Seed Partnership (ENSP).
The Ethiopia-Netherlands Seed Partnership (ENSP)
You will implement planned activities that increase selected seed businesses’ access to finance and further strengthen their capacities for seed business management with the intended outcome of doubling their production, both in terms of value and diversity of products in their portfolio. You will do this in support of the Partnership’s overall mission to enable the private sector in Ethiopia to deliver farming men and women high quality seed of improved varieties much needed for food security and nutrition, and climate resilience. The Partnership is development cooperation between Ethiopia and the Netherlands, implemented by a consortium of the Ethiopian Seed Association in Ethiopia, and Plantum and Wageningen University & Research in the Netherlands.
We are looking for
An energetic and proactive networker with at least five years’ hands-on experience in strategic communications, public relations, lobbying and/or marketing. The Communications officer should be highly motivated and motivating of others in creating enthusiasm for seed trade. S/he should have the capacity and capability to create and maintain partnership with different stakeholders. S/he should have excellent skills of communication, including in English and online through an array of popular social media networks, for raising the visibility and profile of ESA. We also look for a dynamic member of the team who is willing and able to support the development of ESA’s organization and carve out a future for his/her continued employment at the Association.
- Leads the external and internal communication of the Association
- Updates and implements ESA’s communication strategy
- Manages ESA’s corporate identity and maintains branding of communication products
- Manages the ESA website and social media accounts
- Writes, edits and develops engaging content for different audiences with text, images and other visual or audio elements for print, radio, television and online media
- Document experiences for sharing with the public
- Liaises with the media and acts as an ambassador for the Association at public events
- Networks strategically to grow ESA’s representation and interests inter/nationally
- Brokers relationships between stakeholders in government, industry, science & civil society
- Organizes events for dialogue, learning and business among seed sector stakeholders
- Supports the Association wherever possible in all other activities of its work
What we offer
Depending on candidate’s education and work experience, we offer a competitive salary as per the organization scale which is negotiable within the range of the salary scale assigned for the position. We also offer other benefit packages as per the internal HR manual.
Project: Ethiopia-Netherlands Seed Partnership (ENSP)
Duration : Four years, subject to annual renewal based on performance
Reports to: ENSP Project Manager
What we ask
Foremost, a strong affinity for networking, stakeholder engagement, communication (also in English), public relations and/or marketing is desired for the position. Experience working within a membership organization like ESA or another trade association will work in your favour. We also welcome experience working for another kind of network organization or organization of professionals in a strategic communications function. Having a background in the seed sector is obviously an advantage, as is an existing professional network. We also look for a hands-on member of the project team, who will contribute to the achievement of project activities in support of ESA and determine a future for him-/herself at the Association. For this, we look for a proactive attitude and vision for career development. We strongly encourage women to apply, are committed to being inclusive of all genders in our organization and strive to become a diverse organization.
- MSc/MA (preferably) or BSc/BA in communication, public relation and relevant subject
- At least 5 years’ experience working in a related function
- Excellent writing skills and ability to produce effective content for different audiences
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Amharic
- Familiarity with online tools for sharing information, like Word Press and different social media networks
- Energetic, enthusiastic and hands-on attitude, and a valuable social network
- Strong background in agriculture and/or business
- Proficiency in MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Publisher (or other publishing software), and image editing software (preferably also in illustration and video editing)
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the above criteria are invited to apply by sending a motivation letter with updated CV by email at [email protected] starting from the date of announcement. Please include the position title of the application in the subject line.
Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted!