People in Need is a non-governmental, non-profit organization founded on the ideals of humanism, freedom, equality and solidarity. We consider human dignity and freedom to be fundamental values. We believe that people anywhere in the world should have the right to make decisions about their lives and to share the rights expressed in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
The People in Need organization was established in 1992 by a group of Czech war correspondents who were no longer satisfied with merely relaying information about ongoing conflicts and began sending out aid. It gradually became established as a professional humanitarian organization striving to provide aid in troubled regions and support adherence to human rights around the world.
Throughout our over 26 years of its existence, People in Need has become one of the biggest non-profit organizations in Central Europe. In addition to humanitarian aid and human rights, it now also targets education and helps people living in social exclusion.
We are part of Alliance 2015, a strategic network of seven European non-governmental organizations engaged in humanitarian aid and development projects. This collaboration increases effectiveness, both in working in the target countries and in campaigns aimed at influencing the attitudes of politicians and the general public in Europe. In our over 16 years operation in Ethiopia, has focused on projects in five main areas of interest: Education and Social protection, Environment, Livelihood and Agriculture, Water, sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) and Emergency programs.
PIN currently invites applicants for the position of: Consortium MEAL Expert for Specific Project entitled “CHANGE- Improving Access to Education in Ethiopia for Most Marginalized Girls (November 2018 to December 2023)” funded by DFID.
Length of Contract: Definite Employment Contract (Until December 31,2023)
Required Number: One (1)
Reporting to the International Partnership Coordinator (IPC), the Consortium M&E Expert is responsible for assuring that the quality of the regular monitoring and evaluation tools is up to the Donor and Girls Education Challenge - Leave No Girl Behind (GEC-LNGB) standards and conducts on-site monitoring in the four project locations on regular basis. The Expert is responsible for the overall monitoring design to be harmonized across the International Consortium. (S)he is in charge of facilitating and leading of the M&E project technical working group: organising and facilitating regular meetings, compiling notes from the meetings, assuring that the activities and tasks are delivered as per the outlined timeframe. The Expert makes sure that the tools used and processes set up are in line with PIN standards and requirements and (s)he is a part of PIN existing MEAL team/structure (e.g. attends the monthly planning and review sessions, utilises existing tools including tasks planning tool). The Expert is responsible for all M&E related expected outputs being delivered in time. /S/he works closely with IPC to assure that all such outputs are embedded in the project design and strategies, as well as that they are in line with the overall set up and project structure. The Expert provides on-going support and guidance to M&E officers involved in the project (from PIN and partner organisations) to assure the overall M&E strategy is well adopted by all members of the International Consortium. /S/he works closely with project External Evaluation team and provides any necessary support and guidance. /S/he provides strategic overview of the implementation of the M&E tools in frame of high-level meetings (such as the one of Project Steering Committee) of People In Need (PIN) and Project Consortium on the country level. /S/he is in regular communication with partner´s M&E staff. The Expert is working closely with PIN´s Safeguarding / Feedback and Response Mechanisms Officer to support effective implementation of the PIN key policies, e. g. Code of Conduct, Conflict of Interest, Child Protection and Safeguarding Policy to be able to identify and mitigate safeguarding risks and ensure that safeguarding measures are solid across the Consortium´s systems and programming.
Main responsibilities :
M&E quality management
- Ensures Project Consortium’s M&E planning, monitoring and evaluation processes meet the donor/ sector standards and comply with external requirements
- Maintains consistency in monitoring and evaluation processes across all project activities implemented by the four partners in four regions of Ethiopia, conducting regular visits to the four targeted regions
- Participates in monitoring and evaluation tools and design development, e.g. creating monitoring and evaluation frameworks / selection of relevant indicators for the individual activities, in coordination with IPC and technical advisors, to be used for tracking the progress, using the existing project strategies
- Uses data across the project to monitor the quality and overall impact of the interventions in the four targeted regions of Ethiopia
- Prepares data from implementation for IPC when required
- In close collaboration with External Evaluator and IPC prepares project M&E plan for various surveys and research activities, and evaluations to be undertaken
- Ensures collaboration with Consortium partners and gathers their inputs and feedback on regular bases (through M&E Working group meetings / communication and other channels)
- Prepares and maintains monitoring plan for the given project, keeps the written evidence from conducted monitoring, its findings and action points and shares those with IPC and Consortium partners
- Provides technical support to the Consortium partners during project M&E planning, including guidance on developing the indicators and measuring results, development of M&E tools and methodologies
Implementation and reporting
- Provides regular technical support in routine and results-based monitoring to the Consortium partners, including support in meaningful reporting on indicators
- Maintains regular communication with M&E officers from Consortium partners ´organisations to provide ongoing support and assistance
- Leads the M&E technical Working Group of the Consortium based on its ToR, incl. calling and facilitating regular meetings, taking notes from the meetings and preparing and sharing detailed timeframe for the M&E related activities + up-dating the ToR, if needed
- Participates in conducting surveys or other data collection activities (observations, FGDs)
- Conducts independent monitoring of project activities as per the project M&E Strategy and Framework in the four regions of Ethiopia
- Conducts data analysis or support project teams (Consortium members) in data analysis and reporting
- Analyses data across the project (from all Consortium members) to see the impact on communities and project beneficiaries
- Manages consultants and Research partners (especially External Evaluator) to ensure that commissioned researches and evaluations are carried out to the standard and successfully completed
- Provides technical support to the Consortium partners M&E officers in evaluations and other research activities
- Prepares / Examines the Evaluation / Research reports and finalizes based on the inputs from IPC
Accountability, dissemination and use of findings
- Facilitates discussion on the most important findings and recommendations from M&E and reports to IPC on regular basis
- Facilitates dissemination of M&E findings across the project Consortium
Organizational learning and capacity building
- Maintains overview of lessons learnt in M&E, promotes good practices and identifies ways to strengthen the planning, monitoring and evaluation processes within the project / Consortium
- Prepares presentation of the evaluation / other M&E activities and findings for internal sharing and a brief fact sheet for external use
- Ensures archiving of the M&E documents in Share Point / ELO
- Identifies M&E capacity development needs of the project staff, provides M&E training to relevant Consortium project staff or organizes external training
- BSc/BA Degree in development Studies, Monitoring & Evaluation, Statistics, social science or other related fields of studies with minimum of 5 years of relevant work experiences in the sector and on similar positions.
- Experience on International partnership/Consortium Projects,
- Experience working with International donors, working with DFID will be preferable
- Good communication, time management, work under stress and deadlines, management and coordination skills
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation tools development, assessments and research and supervision of baseline/end line surveys
- Experience in data encoding, data analysis and report writing.
- Strong understanding of HAP, Do No Harm and other relevant global standards
- Excellent analytical, team work, negotiation and influencing skills
- Computer friendly (Word, power point, etc.) and also working knowledge of data management systems including analysis software (like Microsoft Excel)
- Excellent knowledge of spoken & written Amharic and English
- Experience in child protection/child safeguarding
- 3 strong references (will be crosschecked)
How to Apply
Interested applicants for the position should fill the application form and send CV and the necessary documents until March 08,2021 via following the link: APPLY-Consortium MEAL Expert
Should any information needed please contact using: [email protected]
Please note: PIN does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, training or any other fees).
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies available at: www.peopleinneed.cz/policies
Women and internal Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.