GIZ- Internal/External Vacancy Announcement #077/2020
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a German implementing organisation which provides services worldwide in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. We work to shape a future worth living in over 120 countries around the world.
The GIZ Office in Addis Ababa oversees projects in Ethiopia and Djibouti where GIZ works on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), the German Federal Ministry of Nutrition and Agriculture (BMEL) and other commissioning parties.
Based on GIZ corporate policy guidelines, the GIZ Office supports the preparation and implementation of international cooperation projects, as well as the administrative implementation on site. The GIZ Office represents the GIZ to government authorities and national partners in Ethiopia and Djibouti, and maintains close communication with the German Embassy and other German implementing organisations as well as with international donors.GIZ seeks a qualified candidate for the position of Contract Specialist;
A. Overall Responsibilities
The contract specialist supports the Events, Travel & Services for International Staff unit at the GIZ Country Office Ethiopia & Djibouti in the specific task of handling hotel contracts and contracts for services related to events. The unit is tasked with planning, organizing and managing trainings, events and conferences in Addis Ababa or at other locations in Ethiopia and in the region, as well as booking flight tickets and hotels and supporting visa procedures. The unit is also tasked with building up a regional training hub in Addis Ababa. The team works in close cooperation with the GIZ Academy for International Cooperation (AIZ) in Germany which is in charge of trainings. The scope of tasks for this position includes:
· Responsible to handle the tender process of hotel and event related services
· Responsible to handle contract process of hotel and event related services including supplement management
· Keeping tap and follow compliance regulation of GIZ
· Further development and quality control of contract process at event teams
· Well established communications to all frequently approached team members at the GIZ Country Office, projects working with Ethiopia or the African Union
· Processing hotel contracts
· Conclusion of hotel and event related contracts including preparation and conducting the tender
· Facilitates the negotiation with vendors
· Monitoring the progress of contracts at the event units
· Formatting drafts for contract awards and reasons for contract award
· Input of hotels contracts and related services in Co-Soft system
· Organizing and maintaining documentation and filing systems according to GIZ standards;
· Keeping the documentation and overview of requests, monitoring of status etc.;
· Managing incoming and outgoing correspondence, invoices, post, priorities, distributing and follow-up;
Other Duties/Additional Tasks
· Assisting in and/or carrying out other office activities and any other tasks as assigned;
· Undertaking further job training related to his/her position and duties, if required.
C. Required educational qualifications, professional experience and competency
· University degree (preferably Master degree) in economics or law.
· Minimum of 5 years’ experience in contracting, public procurement or similar field, preferably in an international context.
· Experience in the procurement of services with regard to German and EU public procurement law
· Fluency in writing, reading and speaking in English and Amharic, knowledge of German language will be an advantage
· Study and/or work experience in an English or German speaking country is an advantage
· Very good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office, SAP), and digital literacy
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills and clear judgment
· Pronounced negotiation skills, power of deduction and high degree of integrity, and excellent sense of compliance
· High level of service-orientation and advising competence
· Flexibility and ability to work in an international team and cooperate well with colleagues of diverse backgrounds in an intercultural work setting
· Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a fast-paced office environment, both independently and as part of a team
· Ability to prioritize, able to manage multiple deadlines and deliver high quality work products
· Willingness to learn, improve and upgrade skills as required by the tasks to be performed
· Good management and administrative skills
· Exhibits commitment, reliability, loyalty.
· Highly solution-oriented mindset, has a constructive approach to challenges.
· Takes over responsibility for the tasks assigned to her/him and carries them out independently.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates shall submit their motivation letter along with their non-returnable recent CV via Ethiojobs or Email : [email protected]
Please make sure you mention the Vacancy Number ‘Contract Specialist #077’ in the subject line of your email application. Due to large number of applications we categorize applications with the vacancy numbers.
Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
We encourage persons with disabilities to apply for the position. In case of equal qualification, persons with disabilities will be given preference.
Applications from qualified women are encouraged.