ETHIOPIAN AGRICULTURAL TRANSFORMATION AGENCY
Position : Delivery Unit Senior Technical Expert II, Agribusiness & Marketing and Agricultural Inputs system, Regional Delivery Unit
Term of Employment : One year with possibility of extension
Duty Station(s) : Oromiya Regional Bureau of Agriculture (RBoA),
Required Number: One
Salary & Benefits : Competitive
Application Deadline : December 21, 2020
The Ethiopian Agricultural Transformation Agency (ATA) is a strategy and delivery-oriented government agency created to help accelerate the growth and transformation of the country’s agriculture sector. The ATA envisions that, by 2025, smallholder farmers are commercialized with greater incomes, inclusiveness, resilience, and sustainability, contributing to Ethiopia’s achievement of middle-income country status.
The agency focuses on two primary national approaches to catalyze agricultural transformation. First, we support the Ministry of Agriculture (MoA), its affiliate institutions, and other partners to identify and address systemic bottlenecks within an Agricultural Transformation Agenda. Second, we support Regional Governments to accelerate the development of high-priority commodity value chains in clearly defined geographic clusters, through the Agricultural Commercialization Clusters (ACC) Initiative.
Our major activities include conducting strategic and analytical studies, providing technical implementation support, coordinating platforms to better integrate partners and projects, and designing and directly leading several implementation projects. Our headquarters are in Addis Ababa, and we have regional offices in Amhara, Oromia, SNNP, and Tigray regional offices, allowing us to work closely with a wide range of public, private and development sector partners across the country.
ATA is currently in the process of launching a Delivery Unit in the Regional Bureau of Agriculture (RBoA) to directly support them on the priority agendas identified by the Regional Bureau (RBoA). Delivery Units have played a critical role in accelerating the execution of development initiatives in many countries, particularly in Africa, East and Southeast Asia, including Ethiopia. ATA has helped set-up a Delivery Unit at the Federal Ministry of Agriculture. The Delivery Unit will be jointly overseen by the RBoA and ATA senior management.
We have an exceptional team of highly competent employees with a proven track record of success in managing complex activities and achieving transformational results. Our culture is one where talented, dedicated, and adaptable individuals are committed to doing their best and exhibit great teamwork to achieve excellent results.
At ATA, we provide an exceptional platform for people who want to achieve their highest potential and make a meaningful contribution in changing the country’s agricultural sector. We offer rewarding work in a young, fast-paced growing organization with passionate, committed, motivated colleagues and excellent career development and training. We recognize our most valuable assets are our staff and are committed to providing our employees with the tools, training, and mentorships necessary to achieve their career goals.
The Delivery Unit is part of the Regional ATA Office, designed to drive implementation and help achievement of results on key priority issues within agriculture in the Oromiya region. The Senior Technical Expert for Agribusiness & Marketing and Agricultural Inputs system will be embedded within the Regional Bureau of Agriculture. He/she will report to the Delivery Unit Head and work closely with other DU and RBoA staff.
The Senior Technical Expert conducts the planning, reporting, analysis, and problem-solving within the Delivery Unit on the priority agendas identified by the Regional Bureau (RBoA). The Senior Technical Expert will work directly with RBoA leadership, RBoA staff and other priority agenda owners to ensure meaningful planning and target setting, timely and accurate reporting, and rigorous and practical problem-solving. In addition, He/she will provide analytical or problem-solving support to senior leadership on high priority requests, including trend analysis, strategic planning and/or policy analysis. The person in this role will also work to strengthen the project management and analytical capacity of the priority agenda owners in the Regional Bureau of Agriculture (RBoA).
- Related to her/his specific area of assignment (horticulture) the Senior Technical Expert performs the following:
- Establish and run robust annual planning, target-setting, and budgeting processes with priority agenda owners
- Monitor activity management and reporting for the priority agendas, working closely with implementation owners
- Work proactively and independently with implementation teams to identify and prioritize strategic and operational issues hindering achievement of targets and support problem-solving to identify high-impact and feasible solutions
- Provide analytical problem-solving and solution development, both for specific priority agendas and for high priority requests from RBoA Senior Leadership
- Collaborate with technical/agricultural colleagues, Project Management team, the Performance Management team (planning and evaluations), Analytics team, or outside consultants as needed to solve more complex issues
- Ensure critical issues are effectively escalated to senior leadership
- Produce value-added reports for decision-making through analysis and synthesis of data, and provision of recommendations
- Develop regular performance monitoring routines with senior leadership, initiative owners, and relevant stakeholders
- Propose and support the rollout of enhancements to planning, tracking, reporting and escalation processes in the Delivery Unit to aid performance management of priority activities
- Strengthen execution and day-to-day project and activity management capacity of the RBoA staff
- Identify gaps, develop materials, and provide capacity building support to RBoA staff on planning, activity management/execution, reporting and problem-solving
- Carry out other related activities as may be requested by the Delivery Unit Head
- At least BSc/BA or MSc/MA degree required in the following areas: Agricultural Economics, business management, business administration, project management, economics, statistics, development studies, Agricultural field or related areas,
- At least 10 years of experience with BSc/BA or 8 years with MSc/MA degree, working in Project Management, Strategy Development, Business Analysis, Business Development, Management Consulting, Project Design or other relevant fields
- Proven record of structuring and delivering challenging projects, with data analysis, regular reporting, and independent troubleshooting and problem-solving
- Excellent critical thinking and analytical skills, with experience applying these for both strategy and implementation/operations
- Strong team player with excellent relationship management, capacity building, facilitation, training and presentation skills, and a passion for change and delivery
- Self-starter with strong motivation, ownership and commitment to drive transformation
- Can act as a champion for change and can effectively support change management efforts
- Strong desire and humility to learn
- Strong knowledge and skills in Microsoft Office Suite, and various program/project management and data and reporting systems
- Fluency in English is required.
How to Apply
We invite all candidates meeting the required qualifications to submit (i) a cover letter and (ii) CV (maximum 3 pages) to https://apply.ata.gov.et
It is mandatory to mention the position title in the subject line of your application email.
Please DO NOT submit scans of educational and experience certificates with your application.
Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.