Digitalization specialist for Biodiversity and Forestry Project
GIZ- Internal and external Vacancy Announcement #111/2019
GIZ- Biodiversity and Forestry Programme
As an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations, the federally owned Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH supports the German Government in achieving its development-policy objectives. GIZ promotes complex reforms and change processes.
In Ethiopia, GIZ has been working for more than 40 years in bilateral cooperation on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and on the commission of the Ethiopian government and international donors. GIZ Ethiopia is looking to recruit a field officer for the coordination of activities on site for the implementation of a sustainable supply chains project (with a focus on coffee) for the Biodiversity and Forest, as specified below.
Digitalization specialist for Biodiversity and Forestry Project
Place of Work: Addis Ababa, with frequent duty trips to the field
: June 23, 2019
Field of activities
Digital technologies and applications open many opportunities to connect the rural population with information flows and innovations, services, knowledge and education, thereby creating employment and prospects. In order to enable small farmers in rural areas to earn fair incomes and to promote sustainable, social and environmentally friendly development, the German development cooperation uses digital applications for the monitoring and management of agricultural value chains, to increase transparency in the supply chains and to assess the project’s impact on the farmers’ livelihoods.
The digitalization specialist will divide the work among two projects: the Biodiversity and Forestry Programme and the Sustainable Supply Chain and Standards Project. For both projects the main field of activity will be the implementation of ICT solutions for the monitoring of value chains, the collection and tracking of data, the storage and analysis of information, and the use of digital and innovative communication tools.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities
The employee has the following main duties and responsibilities:
- Technical advice to the projects in the field of innovative communication technologies (ICT), in order to increase sustainability and value creation in supply chains, to monitor project results, to store and manage generated knowledge and to communicate project results.
- Overall responsibility for all digitalization and communication systems, software, processes, and equipment across both projects,
- Knowledge management, collaborative learning and dissemination of digital solutions to improve sustainability in forest and non-timber forest products supply chains
- Communication of projects results
The Specific Tasks
Technical advice to the project in the field of innovative communication technologies (ICT)
– Identify ICT tools for the specific requirements of the projects and assess their suitability
- Identify and keep up-to-date with ICT tools related to traceability of forest products, monitoring of forest coverage and deforestation, monitoring and management of supply chains and value chains, especially the ones used for the coffee supply chain (e.g. Block chain)
- To train staff in the use of ICT tools
- To train enumerators and field staff for data collection using selected software and equipment
- Maintain contact with GIZ headquarters and support the projects in the introduction of the required ICT tools
Overall responsibility for all digitalization and monitoring systems, software, processes, and equipment across both projects, including the management and maintenance
- Development and adaptation of those systems to provide new, faster and better services for the projects
- Digitalization systems of the projects are readily available for use by staff
Commission support of external service providers
Knowledge management, collaborative learning and dissemination of digital solutions
- To gather and process all incoming information from the monitoring system
- To prepare monitoring reports
- Coordinate with the GIS expert for the integration of maps in the monitoring and traceability
- To establish a storage system for the information and knowledge generated by the project
- To identify innovative mechanisms and tools for the dissemination of the information and knowledge
To gather specific monitoring information related to the improvement of the sustainability in forest and non-timber forest products supply chains: measure of income increase for farmers, forest cover and conservation, quality improvement in the supply chain, etc.
Communication of projects results
- To develop infographics and statistics that show project results
- To identify the most convenient innovative communication tools for the projects
- To develop and implement events in the subject area
To commission and oversee the design of communication materials
- To support the management of the projects with activities related to the field of work
- To ensure that the rules and regulations of GIZ are always respected
- To take actively part in meetings, workshops etc. on own initiative and on demand
- To be actively involved in transversal tasks/cross cutting issues (gender, conflict sensitivity, etc.)
- Assume all other assigned tasks of the superior
- College degree (Informatics, Social Sciences, Agricultural or Forestry Sciences, with a specialization in digitalization in development cooperation
- A minimum of 5 years relevant occupational experience in the necessary field
- First professional experience in the field of digitization in agriculture or forestry
- Expertise in supply chain management and traceability systems, blockchain, artificial intelligence (AI), satellite monitoring and other remotely sensing systems
- Ability to deliver good work results autonomously and under pressure of time
- Good team orientation, analytical and communication skills
- Knowledge of social and environmental standards in supply chains is a plus
- Good command of spoken and written English
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates shall submit their motivation letter along with their non-returnable recent CV via Ethiojobs or Email : email@example.com
Please make sure you mention the Vacancy Number ‘ Digitalization expert #111 ’ in the subject line of your email application. Due to large number of applications we categorise applications with the vacancy numbers. Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Applications from qualified women are encouraged