- Company: Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
- Location: Ethiopia
- State: Gambela Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: International Jobs in Ethiopia
Expert for Employment in the context of migration
Internal/External Vacancy Announcement #085/2019
GIZ- Qualifications and Employment Opportunities for Refugees and Host Communities in Ethiopia Program (QEP)
The new programme on Qualifications and Employment Perspectives for Refugees and Host Communities in Ethiopia (QEP) has been commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) in December 2017. The programme is part of the German Special Initiative on Displacement and seeks to provide better vocational training and employment perspectives for refugees and host communities in Ethiopia. The programme leverages the potentials of TVET for integration. Implementation will take place in Addis Ababa, Somali region and Benishangul-Gumuz region. In 2019, an expansion of the programme to Tigray and Gambella is foreseen.
QEP works on three output levels and seeks to (1) increase the quality of technical and vocational training (TVET), (2) broaden the opportunities of TVET available to the target groups and (3) foster entrepreneurship and exchange formats for employment. QEP works together with the public TVET system and tries to extent the standards of the Ethiopian TVET system to TVET opportunities available for refugees and remote host communities. The programme works in fragile social and economic contexts. It is therefore crucial that refugees and Ethiopian host communities benefit equally from programme interventions. The changing regulatory framework governing inter alia access to education and employment for refugees poses a challenge and an opportunity at the same time.
The programme will expand its operations to Gambella in 2019 with a strong focus on employment promotion. The new Expert on Employment in the Context of Migration will be based in Gambella town with frequent duty trips within Gambella region and occasional duty trips to Addis Ababa.
S/he will be responsible for closely cooperating with all relevant government and non-government stakeholders of the programme working in the field of (short term) trainings and employment promotion in Gambella region. The Expert will facilitate and steer all regional activities, which are related to (short term) training measures in cooperation eg. with Opena Gambella TVET College and employment promotion activites eg. with the Urban Job Creation Agency, One Stop Service Centres, and other relevant government and non-government stakeholders. The Expert will closely work with the mentioned government organizations, support them in identifying capacity needs and work closely with them so that they can fully respond to their respective mandate of delivering quality training and enabling employment.
The Expert cooperates with the programme team in Gambella and brings in his/her knowledge to further develop solutions to employment promotion that can also be linked with refugee communities. S/he maintains a close relation with the Addis Ababa head office and reports to the Programme Coordinator for QEP.
Position : Expert on Employment in the Context of Migration
Place of Work : Gambella Town
Application deadline : May 19, 2019
Required Candidate: One
Duties and Responsibilities
- Further strengthens relationships with all relevant regional government and non-government stakeholders in training and employment promotion for refugees and Ethiopians
- Builds trustful relationship between regional government organizations, non-government and international/multilateral organizations whose mandate is protecting refugees/working in the migration sector
- Conducts further feasibility assessments, identifies partners, develops and plans innovative activities related to multiplying (short term) trainings and employment promotion measures for refugees and surrounding host communities
- S/he draws on initially developed approaches of training provision and employment promotion within the urban context of Gambella and develops solutions of how these approaches can be replicated in the context of refugee camps and surrounding host communities
- Develops approaches that create a win-win situation for refugees and host communities in the field of training and employment promotion and actively seeks to incorporate relevant local and regional government actors in the approaches
- Pro-actively initiates, steers and monitors the implementation of activities related to (short term) trainings and employment promotion in the context of refugee camps and surrounding host communities
- Develops and documents best practices of inclusive training and employment measures for refugees and Ethiopians within fragile contexts
- Contributes to the revision and design of new employment focused curricula and (short term) trainings, especially when it comes to the special needs of refugee communities
- Closely cooperates and exchanges approaches with the Expert for Training and Employment
- Contributes to conceptualizing, planning and conducting regional platforms bringing together relevant regional private, government and non-government stakeholders to tackle problems of employment promotion and inclusion of refugees
- Contributes to programme reporting, knowledge management, evaluation and public relations (PR)
- Takes on a variety of other tasks according to changing demands
- College or University degree in social sciences (eg. economics/business, political science, public management/policy, or related fields)
- A minimum of 5 years relevant occupation experience in the necessary field
- Experience in organizing and steering complex processes that involve a variety of stakeholders and require a high degree of coordination
- Experience in working in government organizations, especially those related to training, employment promotion, and industry
- Experience in working within non-governmental and/or international organizations, ideally with a focus on employment promotion
- Experience in cooperating with Ethiopian government offices, agencies, NGOs and international organizations
- Good overview of federal and regional government structures and knowledge about mandates and responsibilities of different government actors in the field of employment promotion
- Good theoretical and/or practical knowledge of government policies on federal and regional levels designed to leverage employment
- Experience in designing and conducting interventions that support employment of previously unemployed groups with proven track record
- Practical and/or theoretical knowledge about the basic characteristics and standards of the Ethiopian TVET system
- Ideally experience of working within the (private) business sector, preferably in the agriculture, agro-processing, metal manufacturing and/or construction sector
- Ideally regional experience and networks in Gambella, including knowledge of relevant stakeholders in the field of training and employment promotion
- Very good language skills in English (writing, speaking, listening); good knowledge of Amharic (writing, speaking, listening); good knowledge of a regional language spoken in Gambella is an advantage
- Good skills in using Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power Point, and Outlook)
- Flexibility and preparedness to perform a changing array of duties according to the needs of the programme
How to Apply
- Please submit a cover letter showing why and how you qualify for the job
- Please submit a CV with all relevant information for the job
Interested and qualified candidates shall submit their motivation letter along with their non- returnable recent CV to Email : firstname.lastname@example.orgNote: –
Please make sure you mention the vacancy number and position title ‘ Expert for Employment in the Context of Migration #085/2019 in the subject line of your email application. Due to large number of applications we categorise applications with the vacancy numbers. Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
Applications from qualified women are encouraged.