About One Acre Fund: One Acre Fund is a fast growing agricultural International Non-Governmental Organization seeking to improve the lives of farmers. One Acre Fund is working in collaboration with the Amhara Region Bureau of Agriculture to promote adoption of impactful and environment friendly trees. Currently we are seeking committed, energetic and qualified candidates for a position as Agroforestry Extension Expert in our Tree Promotion Project.
Vision of the Role: Full-time position supervising One Acre Fund’s tree program work within a given woreda including team leadership, woreda engagement, running communications from field coordinator to the field and vice-versa.
Contract duration: 1 year, renewable depending on project plans the following year and employee performance.
Job Location: Shebel Woreda, covering 13 kebeles. Staffer will live in Yeduha town with frequent travel to the field (3+ days per week).
Number of Positions: 1
Salary & Benefits :
- 7727 ETB/month (gross) starting salary, with opportunity for performance-based bonuses every 6 months and promotions in the future.
- Communication allowance, transport allowance, annual leave allocated in accordance with the new proclamation 1156/2019.
Ensure excellent execution of the tree project in the woreda
- Run a team meeting every week to keep the team focused on proper priorities, provide training and capacity building as needed, gather their input from the field
- Identify the capacity gaps and professional development needs of your direct reports, provide coaching, trainings and other opportunities for development
- Conduct regular field visits with all direct reports and provide timely, detailed feedback through debriefs
- Keep the work on track based on the established calendar
- Meet scale goals in terms of number of trees to produce and plant, farmers served
- Run technical training of trainers on nursery and seedling management with your staff and government stakeholders, following One Acre Fund’s talking points
- Do whatever is necessary to ensure success, including anticipating potential problems and identifying existing problems, then working with manager to find timely preventative measures or solutions
- Make sure excellent farmer mobilization is conducted with Field Officers and Field assistants to convince farmers to buy seedlings
Build and manage a strong team of OAF staff in the woreda
- Manage a team of 12 One Acre Fund (OAF) Field Officers, each of which will work across 4-5 kebeles, coordinating the work of the local nursery operators and the DAs
- Hire and train new staff as needed
- Set performance expectations clearly for your direct reports and provide regular feedback and assessments
- Develop the communication, technical and independent problem solving skills of your direct reports
Provide strong communication link between Cluster lead and the field
- Collect and share KPIs each week, use this to drive performance
- Write excellent weekly reports that summarize all the major issues in your woreda
- Share all problems with cluster lead in a timely manner, help to brainstorm solutions, implement the discussed solutions in a timely manner
- Share all communications on technical trainings, strategy, policies, etc. from HQ with the team or government
Manage relationships with woreda government
- Serve as primary day to day liaison with woreda ag office experts and focal person
- Organize and run meetings and TOTs as needed with the woredas in coordination with cluster lead
- Gather technical and local-context knowledge from the woreda and kebele actors, share regularly with cluster lead
- Solve any problems that arise in the woreda or kebele relationships with the help of cluster lead
Live the value of One Acre Fund throughout your work
- Work full-time days and overtime in busy periods to ensure the work gets done well
- Be willing to work a flexible schedule, as sometimes weekends will be the best time to work with farmers
- Be willing to physically demonstrate best practices and then to do work tasks alongside your team and the farmers during nursery establishment, land prep for trees, tree planting, and other tree production steps
- BSc or BA or higher in Forestry, NRM, Environmental Science, Agriculture or a related field
- 2+ years work experience
- Some demonstrated leadership experience and skills
- Demonstrated critical thinking, organizational and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently on complex tasks
- Strong command of the basics of email, Microsoft Excel and Word, good typing skills
- Excellent written and spoken Amharic
- Good written and spoken English
Additional Desired (not Required) Qualifications
- Experience in tree seedling growth or work related to seedlings planting and care
- Good knowledge of trees and tree management practices
- Experience working with farmers in community projects, especially related to trees and agriculture
- Experience in delivering trainings to farmers and/or other audiences
- Motor Cycle Driving License (not required, public transport can also be used)
- Residence of the woreda
How to Apply
Gender: All genders considered equally but women are highly encouraged to apply
Send cover letter and CV to: [email protected] with subject line “Field Manager
Application deadline: September 4, 2020
Selection dates: Shortlisted candidates will be contacted on 8 Sept for notification and phone interview scheduling. In person examination for those who pass from phone interview will be conducted 14-15 September in Bahir Dar town.
Planned start date: October 5, 2020