Reporting to the Country Director and serving as a member of the Ethiopia Leadership Group (ELG), the Head of M&E leads Digital Green Ethiopia’s (DGE) Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning activities for all of its programs that are being implemented in Ethiopia. As DGE expands into new geographies, partnerships, and sectors, this role ensures that the M&E processes are adapted to the changing scale of operations and context. This role oversees the design and execution of various research and evaluation studies (using qualitative and quantitative methods), and delivery of high-quality analysis and reports. In summary, the Head of M&E is responsible to ensure the quality and effectiveness of DGE programs by generating, managing and timely availing program performance data for decision making.
Design and Manage organizational monitoring, evaluation and learning processes
- Oversee the planning, organization and execution of all M&E activities in DGE
- Lead the design and implementation of strategies, policies, systems and procedures for M&E across various projects in DGE in close partnership with the Program team
- Organize and oversee the design and adoption of program reporting templates that facilitate the acquisition and aggregation of information across and within DGE’s program teams.
- In partnership with DGE Program team, establish performance indicators in various program activities.
- Ensure that all the relevant learning from M&E activities are captured and documented, and disseminated at DGE and among its partners
- Drive a culture of knowledge sharing and collaborative learning within DGE, through structured initiatives and activities such as formation of online forums, communities of practices, etc.
Design and Manage Research Projects
- Develop and oversee the implementation of Research and Learning agendas in close collaboration with the DGE program team.
- Actively seek interesting research opportunities by building research partnership with academia and other external research entities.
- Ensure strong engagement with DGE’s Partners to ensure that goals in the research agenda are fulfilled.
- Manage close partnering relationship with and ensure necessary resources and operational support is provided to academics in universities and research institutions to conduct learning and research activities for DGE.
- Coordinate with, guide and support research partners in conducting impact assessments to showcase impact of DGE’s programs.
Program monitoring, review and reporting
- Oversee periodic monitoring of program activities and ensure generation of quality and timely data
- Regularly deliver high quality analysis and reports based on secondary and primary data collection from regional programs (the field) and ensure that reliable and timely information is made available for program management and decision making.
- Organize, coordinate and execute internal and external project reviews, mid-term and terminal evaluations as well as impact assessment studies, to ensure quality program delivery and impact.
- Based on the interpretation of the M&E and Research & Learning findings, provide feedback, and make recommendations about how to strengthen DGE’s and Partner’s work, as well as make any mid-term program adjustments, as required.
- Provide content and input to ensure successful and timely proposal submissions and reporting to existing funders and government partners, as well as for advancing the organization’s networking and fundraising efforts.
- Coordinate with the Global Digital Green MERL team to ensure policy and program quality, coherence and synergy
- Support the Communications Head with writing and timely delivery of donor reports
Managerial/ Leadership Roles
- Ensure optimum utilization of DGE’s human, material and financial resources in all aspects of team operations
- Determine individual and team goals with employees, assess performance, provide regular feedback, and reinforce performance expectations.
- Create a supportive culture for career and personal development
- Provide strategic leadership as a member of the Ethiopia Leadership Group (ELG) of Digital Green, in his/her designated functional area.
Qualifications and Experiences
- Masters or higher degree in Agriculture, Economics, Development Studies, Statistics or related field. Knowledge of the agriculture sector is very important.
- Minimum of 8-10 years of experience in monitoring and evaluation of agricultural and/or rural development programs.
- Knowledge of quantitative and qualitative research and data analysis methods and tools.
- Experience in leadership/senior management capacity in the development sector.
- Basic ICT /computer science knowledge and skills is of a great advantage.
- Some experience in the non-profit/NGO sector will be preferred.
Skills and Competencies
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Team player and has requisite social skills to build cordial relationships with internal / external stakeholders
- Strong work ethic and self-driven: displays the ability to take timely actions and effectively accomplish work results with limited supervision and guidance
- Willingness to take on challenging tasks/ assignments beyond immediate responsibility
- High level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Be an innovative and creative thinker –not afraid to try something new and inspire others to do so.
- Demonstrates ability to build and maintain relationships with ease with a diverse set of people/ stakeholders.