Effective agriculture has the power to change lives. It underpins prosperity, food security and stability the world over. Farm Africa focuses on transforming agriculture and managing natural resources sustainably. We champion a holistic approach that boosts yields, protects the environment and connects smallholder farmers to thriving markets.
We work with different types of farmers in a range of regions. Their local situations vary, but the problems they face are all too familiar: lack of training and technology, inadequate inputs, no finance, vulnerability to climate change and poor links to markets.
We have an ambitious strategy to expand our work over the next five years. We’ll increase our impact. Lift more communities out of poverty. Work with more corporate partners who share our vision. Open up more agricultural markets. Provide more expertise.
We’ll make change happen.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
Provide end to end professional HR service to Farm Africa’s Ethiopian Country office. Working collaboratively and in partnership with the Head of Corporate Services and the Head of Human Resources to support all areas of the employment relationship.
Responsible for overseeing Farm Africa Ethiopia’s compliance to local labour proclamation and procedures, as well as managing staff recruitment, selection, performance management, staff training and development, compensation and benefit, employee retention.
Working collegiately as part of an international HR team to deliver organisation wide people initiatives to ensure a consistent approach to HR services across the organisation
KEY TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Working with the Heads of Corporate Services and Head of Human Resources, support the delivery and development of policies and procedures, ensuring that the Field Staff Handbook (and especially the Ethiopia Country appendix) is up to date and aligned to GoE laws.,
- Monitor policy and procedure compliance, providing advice to Senior Management Team and Project Coordinators, ensuring that the Field Staff Handbook and its Code of Conduct, policies, procedures and rules are adhered to in accordance with the Ethiopian Labour Law
- Undertake timely recruitment with line managers with an employment agency if appropriate (advertise, receive and review applications, arrange interviews, obtain preliminary information, score tests if appropriate)
- Ensure that employment contracts are issued, renewed and terminated on time and as required
- Working as part of the international HR team, support the development and upgrade the induction package, ensure that all new staff go through the induction with a specific focus on Farm Africa’s Code of Conduct, Safeguarding, Child Protection and Bribery and Corruption policies.
- Maintain adequate and confidential personnel files, including keeping track of annual leave.
- Implement performance appraisal systems in accordance with Farm Africa procedure
- Support staff development in line with the Learning and Development policy
- Manage HR related & other legal matters, and liaise with legal advisor on the interpretation and implementation of personnel policies and procedures
- In collaboration with CD and the Heads of Corporate Service and Human Resources update JDs, salary scale, grading schemes, benefits etc to be in line with other INGOs.
- Manage Leave tracking of staff and maintain record
- Maintain an updated Employee data file
Participation in regular meetings, committees
- Farm Africa meetings including the AGM
- Quarterly meetings NGO HR committees
Important contacts to establish and maintain
- Other HR team in other Farm Africa office and other NGOs
- HR networks outside of Farm Africa
- Farm Africa legal advisor
- Functional relationship with the Head of Human Resources
- Functional relationships with Project leads on HR issues
Education, qualifications & other knowledge
- Post graduate degree or equivalent in management or business administration or relevant field
- Deep knowledge of Ethiopian Labour law
- Fluent written and spoken English language
- A sound understanding of administration procedures
- Good understanding and firm belief in gender equality
- At least five years relevant work experience and three years in managerial position in an organisation of similar size and complexity
- Experience in managing organisational change
- Proven experience of effective advisory role to managers through challenging processes (such as grievance and disciplinary processes)
- Experience of working in a large INGO
Skills & abilities
- Excellent time management skills and ability to work to deadlines
- Excellent communication skills – fluency in written and spoken English
- Proven supervisory skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Computer literacy
- Supportive and ethical
- Engenders trust from other staff
- Dynamic and highly motivated
- Excellent communicator at all levels
- Able to work with minimal supervision
Investing in smallholder farming is the number one way to combat poverty in rural Africa. Farm Africa is a leading NGO specialising in growing agriculture, protecting the environment and developing businesses in rural Africa.
EXPERT. Deep expertise and insightful evidence-based solutions are at the heart of everything Farm Africa does.
GROUNDED. Positive change starts with Africa’s people, so our experts work closely with local communities, engaging them in every level of decision-making.
IMPACTFUL. We take a long-term view so we can deliver lasting changes for farmers and their families.
BOLD. We model innovative new approaches and are not afraid to challenge strategies that are failing.
How to Apply
Those who meet the above requirements should submit their short CV (maximum of 3 pages) and a cover letter (maximum 1 page) addressing [email protected] with the subject HR Manager by February 23, 2020.
Documents cannot be returned and due to large number of applications, only short listed candidates will be contacted. Applications are especially welcomed from female applicants.