Effective agriculture has the power to change lives. It underpins prosperity, food security and stability the world over. Farm Africa focuses on transforming agriculture and managing natural resources sustainably. We champion a holistic approach that boosts yields, protects the environment and connects smallholder farmers to thriving markets.
We work with different types of farmers in a range of regions. Their local situations vary, but the problems they face are all too familiar: lack of training and technology, inadequate inputs, no finance, vulnerability to climate change and poor links to markets.
We have an ambitious strategy to expand our work over the next five years. We’ll increase our impact. Lift more communities out of poverty. Work with more corporate partners who share our vision. Open up more agricultural markets. Provide more expertise.
We’ll make change happen
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The Procurement and Admin Officer is responsible to strengthen the procurement capacity of Procurement Unit and implement procurement processes, procurement planning and conduct procurement of goods and services. In addition to providing the technical and operational support to the Procurement, the recruit will assist in receiving and dispatch of procured items to field offices and liaise with project staff in relation to the procurement activities.
The Procurement and Admin Officer will work under the Procurement Unit and reports to the Procurement Manager. In addition to other functional departments (Finance and Logistics departments) of the Corporate Services Divisions, he/she will work closely with the project leads and field based staffs in expediting the on-going procurement activities in an effective and efficient manner and completing the activities within the agreed due dates.
KEY TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Will participate in preparing a detailed procurement plan/schedule in consultation with the procurement, finance and other project managers/coordinators.
- Initiate planned procurement activities as per the agreed schedule.
- Prepare RFQs, bid documents ensuring they are adequately supported by the required specifications and ToRs for procurement of goods and services; and BOQs & Designs for Works and compile the documentation in accordance with Farm Africa’s Procurement policy and/or donor requirements.
- Prepare Invitation for Bids (IFB) and arrange for the publications with the newspapers in accordance with Tendering procedures.
- Arrange for Specific Procurement Notices/RFQs to be sent to suppliers who are targeted to respond to specific Procurement Notice.
- Regularly update procurement database and generate procurement status report, Keep track of procurement activities; compile procurement documents for proper payment request and subsequent audit trails.
- Whenever requested, initiate calls for bid opening, attend the opening of bids at stipulated time and place as a secretary, keep minute/record offers as read out, and assist the tender committee during evaluations in providing information/clarifications.
- Whenever requested, will carry out routine procurement activities including receiving authorized purchase requests, collect Bid/proformas, Bid Analysis, raise Purchase Orders, receive and deliver procured items to the requesting user departments/projects in line with Farm Africa Procurement procedures.
- Whenever requested, will Prepare awards and contracts in conformity with the requirements of the Farm Africa procurement guidelines;
- Preparing draft letters, preparing reports, developing monitoring formats; following up communications with contractors, consultants and suppliers.
- Will assist in developing and maintaining database of preferred vendors/suppliers; and update suppliers’ contract performances
- Will work closely the Finance and Admin officers of designated projects in line with delegated duties and responsibilities.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the line manager.
- These essential functions are not to be interpreted as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job related duties as required. All work responsibilities are subject to having performance goals and/or targets established.
Education, qualifications & other knowledge
- Bachelors or postgraduate qualification in Procurement, Supply Chain Management/ Business Administration / Accounting / Marketing or a related field.
- Fluent written and spoken English language
- A sound understanding of administration procedures
- Good understanding and firm belief in gender equality
- Good understanding of development programs
- Specialized training in procurement
- Minimum of five years of procurement experience at the National or International level
- Demonstrable team experience
- Proven professional integrity and all the necessary ethical behaviors in the implementation of the procurement assignments
- Relevant experience in NGOs or Humanitarian Agencies involving complex bidding of high value good and services, Consultancy and Works is desirable.
Skills & abilities
- Excellent interpersonal skills, combined with a flexible and adaptable attitude of good teamwork and communication skills
- Excellent report writing and good command of both spoken and written English, Amharic
- Ability to work flexibly and adapt to different styles of working environments
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Computer literacy
- Willing to work in stressful conditions
- Ability to work independently
Investing in smallholder farming is the number one way to combat poverty in rural Africa. Farm Africa is a leading NGO specialising in growing agriculture, protecting the environment and developing businesses in rural Africa.
EXPERT. Deep expertise and insightful evidence-based solutions are at the heart of everything Farm Africa does.
GROUNDED. Positive change starts with Africa’s people, so our experts work closely with local communities, engaging them in every level of decision-making.
IMPACTFUL. We take a long-term view so we can deliver lasting changes for farmers and their families.
BOLD. We model innovative new approaches and are not afraid to challenge strategies that are failing.
How to Apply
Those who meet the above requirements should submit their short CV (maximum of 3 pages) and a cover letter (maximum 1 page) addressing [email protected] with the subject Senior Finance Officer by February 23, 2020.
Documents cannot be returned and due to large number of applications, only short listed candidates will be contacted. Applications are especially welcomed from female applicants.