ETHIOPIAN AGRICULTURAL TRANSFORMATION AGENCY
Position : Procurement Director
Term of Employment : One year with possibility of extension
Duty Station(s) : Addis Ababa
Required Number: One
Salary & Benefits : Competitive
Application Deadline : April 03, 2020
The Ethiopian Agricultural Transformation Agency (ATA) is a strategy and delivery-oriented government agency created to help accelerate the growth and transformation of the country’s agriculture sector. The ATA envisions that, by 2025, smallholder farmers are commercialized with greater incomes, inclusiveness, resilience and sustainability, contributing to Ethiopia’s achievement of middle-income country status.
The agency focuses on two primary national approaches to catalyze agricultural transformation. First, we support the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock Resources (MoA), its affiliate institutions, and other partners to identify and address systemic bottlenecks within an Agricultural Transformation Agenda. Second, we support Regional Governments to accelerate development of high-priority commodity value chains in clearly defined geographic clusters, through the Agricultural Commercialization Clusters (ACC) Initiative.
Our major activities include conducting strategic and analytical studies, providing technical implementation support, coordinating platforms to better integrate partners and projects, and designing and directly leading a number of implementation projects. Our headquarters are in Addis Ababa, and we have regional offices in Amhara, Oromia, SNNP, and Tigray regional offices, allowing us to work closely with a wide range of public, private and development sector partners across the country.
We have an exceptional team of highly competent employees with a proven track record of success in managing complex activities and achieving transformational results. Our culture is one where talented, dedicated and adaptable individuals are committed to doing their best and exhibit great team work to achieve excellent results.
At ATA, we provide an exceptional platform for people who want to achieve their highest potential and make a meaningful contribution in changing the country’s agricultural sector. We offer rewarding work in a young, fast-paced growing organization with passionate, committed, motivated colleagues and excellent career development and training. We recognize our most valuable assets are our staff and are committed to providing our employees with the tools, training and mentorships necessary to achieve their career goals.
The Director, Procurement is responsible for providing strategic leadership to ATA’s overall purchasing operations and procurement processes in accordance with the policies and procedures of ATA and all relevant government guidelines. S/he will be responsible for directing, planning, managing and reviewing the implementation and effectiveness of all procurement strategies, processes, systems and procedures, developing and implementing policies, procedures and practices related to procurement and leading on negotiation of strategic procurement relationships to ensure quality and efficiency. The Director will also design an effective team structure for the ATA’s procurement team that ensures efficiency, transparency and quality of service. This role will report to the Senior Director Operations.
- Develops and successfully implements a strategy for Procurement aligned with organizational objectives.
- Leads the development, implementation and management of procurement plans of the Agency received from Directors and Managers and submits to Senior Management for review and approval.
- Drives overall operational excellence in all procurement processes and leads the procurement team in improvement of efficiency and effectiveness.
- Ensures the expectations of internal partners in capturing the best value available in the market are met while complying with the Agency’s and government Procurement policies.
- Leads the continuous improvement of all procurement processes, planning, compliance and systems.
- Leads the design, revision and implementation of procurement manual, policies and procedures to support the needs of the organization and ensures adherence to internal controls within the purchasing/procurement system within the organization.
- Ensures compliance with donor’s policies and in country laws and regulations, including the documentation requirements and procedures of the World Bank, USAID and other international financing bodies.
- Oversees and guides international and local procurement process end-to-end ensuring all procedural and documentation requirements have been met.
- Establish a reasonable and appropriate lead-time for ordering and delivery of goods.
- Oversees the timely preparation and submission of periodic procurement status reports on general procurement activities containing details of all completed purchases and outstanding purchases and payment requests to the concerned staff.
- Works as a procurement liaison person with the World Bank and other development partners that finance the Agency’s procurement.
- Ensures that ATA receives quality goods and services at the most competitive prices/rates and in timely manner.
- Oversees coordination with the clearing agent regarding the proper clearing of goods from customs and onward shipment to intervention sites as required.
- Leads, mentors and builds the capacities of the procurement team members and maintain an integrated, well-trained, effective and highly motivated team.
- Performs other related tasks as requested.
- Minimum Master’s degree in Supplies Management or other relevant studies.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in the areas of procurement management or related field, of which at least 4 years is in senior, leadership or managerial position.
- Experience in managing procurement annual spending of at least $30 million per year preferred.
- Knowledge of World Bank, USAID and other funding agencies rules and regulations.
- Substantial experience in Government procurement policies and procedures.
- Good command of English and Amharic.
- Strong organizational and management skills.
- Strong computer skills.
- Flexibility: ability to work under pressure.
- Adaptability: working in a multi-cultural environment.
How to Apply
We invite all candidates meeting the required qualifications to submit (i) a cover letter and (ii) CV (maximum 3 pages) to https://apply.ata.gov.et
It is mandatory to mention the position title in the subject line of your application email.
Please DO NOT submit scans of educational and experience certificates with your application.
Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.