TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
II. Program Description:
TechnoServe collaborates with Sasakawa Global – 2000 (SG2000) and Farm Radio International (FRI), both non-profit organizations, to improve market led Teff, maize and wheat production in selected Woredas of Amhara and Tigray regions. The incumbent will be working for the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA) funded Improving Market Led Production of Selected Agricultural Commodities in Targeted Woredas of Amhara and Tigray regions. The projects aim to improve income and food security of smallholder farmers in the regions. As part of the bigger consortium of the three organizations, TechnoServe is responsible to lead the smallholder farmers’ linkages to structured output market.
III. Position Description:
Responsible for the overall implementation and management of the project and achievement of project targets, according to the project plan and approaches contained therein, while managing relationships with key external partners including, relevant government offices, partner NGOs, donor and private sector partners.
IV. Duties and Responsibilities
Work planning, Technical + financial management and oversight
· Lead the strategic plan for the project, with support from the DCD
· Develop and maintain overall work plan for project and corresponding budget on an annual and quarterly basis; monitor project and update/adjust accordingly
· Work with TNS finance team to ensure monthly fund transfers to project office to ensure project spend stays on track
· Ensure project staff receive necessary support on financial and administrative matters, as required
· Ensure quality of project implementation on the ground
· Ensure alignment with project’s environmental and conservation goals and ensure project benefit to women as well as men
· Troubleshoot problems as they arise, through a consultative and coordinated approach
· Manage overall project team, convene regular team meetings and ensure program staff receive necessary support on HR, financial and administrative matters, as required.
· Manage Field Market Linkage Specialists and a project officer as direct reports, through regular follow up and individual coaching;
· Ensure job descriptions for the entire team remain updated; ensure annual goals, both project related and individual professional development goals, are established and followed up on quarterly basis
· Ensure timely and accurate time reporting, including accurate vacation day tracking
· Promote learning within team and within TNS Ethiopia through sharing key issues related to the project, its management and effectiveness
Relationship Management + Project Representation:
- Manage the overall coordination of IMPACT project and co-lead TechnoServe’s relationship with AGRA, together with the Deputy Country Director
· Manage day to day relationship with NGO partner, including updating MOUs, planning, information sharing, coordination and joint problem solving
· Manage key relationships with key project partners based in Addis Ababa, including key players in the relevant market systems
· Ensure smooth key stakeholders management at federal level.
· Support management of field level relationships with key stakeholders, such as regional and zonal officials
· Support access to finance/ credit activities
· Ensure Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) system is in place and kept up-to-date
· Lead the design and management of short-term consultancies, as required
. Participate and represent project at external functions, as required
. Facilitate donor/ partner/ external guests to visiting project
· Receive and follow up Weekly reports; develop and circulate own weekly updates as needed
· Receive reports from field based staff and follow up for clarification as needed to develop quarterly project status reports, and annual reports on time, according to the signed project contract requirements
· Ensure that all corporate reports (such as PSRs) are timely submitted
· Ensure quantitative reports on key project indicators are timely and accurately documented and shared
V. Required Qualifications and Capabilities
o Bachelor’s Degree in business/economics, agriculture or other relevant area with 7-10 years; Masters Degree with 5-7 years
o At least six (6) years of professional management experience – ideally private sector and related to the agricultural sector
o Experience in business, particularly in marketing and sales
o Experience of analyzing sectors, in terms of economic opportunities and constraints
o Experience in writing and preparing reports in English, with few to grammatical or typing errors
o Experience working in rural areas of Ethiopia and willingness to travel to these areas
o Demonstrated experience managing projects and people.
o Skills and experience working to strict time-frames and deadlines.
o Demonstrated experience effectively managing relationships stakeholders, especially GOE counterparts and private sector partners
· Attributes and skills:
o Strong and very detailed oriented when planning and preparing documents
o Problem solver, structured thinker with high attention to detail
o Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural skills; effective negotiation skills
o Flexibility and ability to adjust to rapidly changing circumstances;
o Committed to quality and achieving impact; motivated; high level of integrity and honesty
o High level of computer literacy, including ability to use Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
o Fluency in written and spoken English and Amharic;
VI. Preferred Qualifications and Capabilities
· Masters in business/economics, agriculture or other relevant area
· Project management experience
· Experience working with farmers, cooperatives and agribusinesses; experience working in Tigray and Amhara regions
· Experience working in the grain market systems
Experience implementing projects using market systems facilitation approach.
VII. Success Factors:
Competency is a combination of knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) directly related to successful performance on the job.
Core Competencies include:
- Integrity and honesty : Is widely trusted; seen as a direct, truthful individual; presents truthful information in an appropriate and helpful manner; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; does not misrepresent himself or herself for personal gain.
- Team Work/ Relationships: Works co-operatively and flexibly with other members of the team with a full understanding of the role to be played as a team member and/or leader, to achieve a common goal. Ability to build and maintain effective relationships and networks.
- Learning attitude: Proactively takes advantage of opportunities to learn. Actively identifies new areas for learning; applies and shares new knowledge and skill appropriately.
- Diversity/Inclusiveness: Demonstrates an understanding and appreciation for diversity and supports diversity efforts. Interacts effectively with and inclusively with people of all races, cultures, ethnicities, backgrounds, religions, ages, and genders.
- Communication: Expresses ideas effectively in individual and group situations. Listens effectively; shares information, ideas and arguments; adjusts terminology, language and communication modes to the needs of the audience; ensures accurate understanding; acts in a way that facilitates open exchange of ideas and information; uses appropriate non-verbal communication.
- Decision making/Problem Solving: Is able to analyze situations, diagnose problems, identify the key issues, establish and evaluate alternative courses of action and produce a logical, practical and acceptable solution. Is able to make effective decisions on a day-to-day basis, taking ownership of decisions, demonstrating sound judgement in escalating issues where necessary.
- Results Oriented/ High Quality Deliverables: Stays focused on the efforts necessary to achieve quality results consistent with programmatic or departmental goals. Demonstrates the ability to achieve effective results; works persistently to overcome obstacles to goal achievement. Accomplishes tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks.
- Planning & Time Management: Establishes a course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a specific goal. Effectively plans, schedules, prioritizes and controls activities; identifies, integrates and orchestrates resources (people, material, information, budget, and/or time) to accomplish goals. Prioritizes work according to the program or department’s goals, not just own job responsibilities; manages own time effectively.
- Business Acumen: The ability to use information, ask the right questions and take decisions that make an impact on the overall business performance.
Job Specific/Technical Competencies include:
- Financial & Resource Management: The ability to estimate, justify, and manage appropriate funding levels to support goal accomplishment. Managing Resources is about understanding human, financial, and operational resource issues to make decisions aimed at building and planning efficient project workflows, and at improving overall organizational performance.
- Donor/Partnership Management: Identifying opportunities and taking action to build strategic relationships between one’s area and other areas, teams, departments, or organizations to help achieve business goals.
- Analysis, Research, Report Writing: Experience in business planning and analysis, modeling for feasibility and execution. Able to analyze and express oneself clearly in business writing.
- Innovative Mindset: Curious inquiries, asks questions and seeks out information from multiple sources, learns from mistakes, sees change as an opportunity.
· Emotional Intelligence: The act of knowing, understanding, and responding to emotions, overcoming stress in the moment, and being aware of how your words and actions affect others. Emotional intelligence consists of 4 attributes: self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, and relationship management.
· Strategic Thinking: Managers should recognize key actions, underlying problems, make connection and patterns, see consequences and implications. Anticipates obstacles realistically and plans ways to deal with them.
· Staff Development: managers are required to work with employees to plan on the development of skills and abilities so that they can fulfill current or future job/role responsibilities more effectively.
· Trust to Delegate: managers should have trust and willingness to assign responsibilities to direct reports and give them discretion and authority to carry them out.Feedback/Coaching (mentoring): managers should give instructions, suggestions, explanations, and feedback to subordinates. (SPI+R)
How to Apply
VIII. Application Instruction
· Qualified and interested applicants should Click here to apply for this position and submit a cover letter and resume as a single document (either Word or PDF) by December 26, 2020. Applications will be reviewed and considered as received/on a rolling basis. Please identify the position for which you are applying in the subject line. Only applicants meeting minimum qualifications will be contacted.
TechnoServe is an equal opportunity employer. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
TechnoServe has the right to cancel this advertisement.