Project Manager (Regional)
GIZ-Internal/External Vacancy Announcement #193/2021
Climate Sensitive Land Management (CLM)
Since 2008, the Ethiopian government, namely the Ministry of Agriculture, operates the Sustainable Land Management (SLM) program to reverse land degradation and increase agricultural productivity in the highlands. The SLMP aims at reaching two million households in more than 7,000 micro-watersheds in Amhara, Benishangul Gumuz, Gambella, Oromia, SNNP and Tigray.
GIZ provides technical assistance to this national flagship program since its inception, at national, regional and local levels. The new program module “Climate-Sensitive Innovations in Land Management” (CLM) will run from July 2021 to June 2024). It focuses on capacity development of SLM actors through policy and institutional advisory, field-level coaching and advisory services, training, networking, piloting field activities as well as research and communications.
Contract duration: Until June 30, 2024
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Advise BoA on the further development of regional policy and institutional frameworks for participatory/ bottom-up natural resource management /SLM
- Contribute to identifying NRM/SLM implementation challenges and policy, strategy or institutional bottlenecks from regional government down to local government levels
- Support the federal CLM office in reviewing and analysing relevant policy issues of regional governments
- Facilitate and coordinate the design and implementation of targeted capacity development measures for regional and local partners
- Represent CLM at regional and federal platforms when requested
- Facilitate and coordinate the effective and efficient service delivery of the CLM program, lead staff and use financial and other resources in accordance with GIZ management principles and guidelines
- Maintain effective communication between regional CLM and SLM development partner organizations
- Conduct annual staff assessment and development talk and follow up on HRD measures for CLM regional team members in coordination with federal CLM Management
Qualifications and professional experience
- University degree (MSc, PhD) in an area related to the program objectives, such as: agriculture, rural development, natural resource management or other relevant subjects.
- Minimum of 7 years in a senior management or leadership role in a multicultural and international environment
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in policy advisory or similar positions, preferably with GIZ or other international agencies
- Demonstrated success in motivating and coaching teams and individuals.
- Sound and up-to-date knowledge related to SLM, climate smart agriculture, as well as in-depth practical experience on FBS, value chain analysis, land resource governance, or similar.
- Experience in initiating, organizing and steering organisational change processes.
- Excellent knowledge of GIZ policies, rules and regulations.
- A proven track-record of successful implementation of large projects.
- Sound advisory and cooperation skills as well as profound experience in developing and building good working relationships with development partners, government organization and with other public and private sectors.
- Ability to communicate adequately to and negotiate with different target-groups
- Ability to understands complex interrelationships and to identify and evaluate possible solutions for conflicts
- Willingness to learn independently and proactively
- Ability to efficiently use standard IT applications (i.e. MS Office Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.) and digital media, including modern video conferencing tools
- Excellent knowledge of English and other relevant local languages.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates shall submit their motivation letter along with their non-returnable recent CV via Ethiojobs or Email : [email protected]
Please make sure you mention the Vacancy Number ‘ Project Manager (Regional) #193/2021’ in the subject line of your email application.
Due to large number of applications we categorize applications with the vacancy numbers.
Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
We encourage persons with disabilities to apply for the position. In case of equal qualification, persons with disabilities will be given preference.
Applications from qualified women are encouraged.
“Please refer to our brochure to learn more about GIZ’s attractive benefit package.”