- Company: Ethiopian Agricultural Transformation Agency (ATA)
- Location: Ethiopia
- State: Bahir Dar and Mekelle
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Ethiopia
ETHIOPIAN AGRICULTURAL TRANSFORMATION AGENCY
Position : Project Officer I – AIM
Term of Employment : Project Based – Regional
Duty Station(s) : Bahir Dar
Required Number: One (1)
Salary & Benefits : Competitive
Application Deadline : May 19, 2019
The Agricultural Transformation Agency (ATA) has been established by the Government of Ethiopia (GoE) to identify and address systemic bottlenecks to Ethiopia’s agricultural development. The Agency does this through problem-solving, implementation support, and capacity building of stakeholders involved in implementation of interventions that address the systemic bottlenecks. The Agency reports to the Ministry of Agriculture and Natural Resources Development and is Secretary to the Transformation Council chaired by the Prime Minister.
The programmatic focus of the Agency responds to a core set of needs identified by the Ministry of Agriculture and Natural Resources Development and the Transformation Council. Within the Agency, issues are divided into four different pillars: Production and Productivity which includes Inputs and Crop Protection, Livestock, Research and Extension, Mechanization and Rural Finance; Environmentally Sustainable and Inclusive Agricultural Growth including Sustainable Irrigation and Watershed Management, Sustainable Land Management, Gender and Nutrition, Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation, Targeted Livelihood Support, Biodiversity and (temporarily) Planning and MLE; Agribusiness and Markets including Market Support Services, Commercial Farming, Agro-processing & Market Development, and Cooperatives Development; and Enhanced Implementation Capacity which includes ICT, Private Sector, and Organizational and Human Capacity . In addition, the Agricultural Commercialization Clusters Initiative is another critical focus area for the Agency. Across the programs, the ATA engages public, private and non-governmental stakeholders to support strategic planning, manage and strengthen implementation capacity and test innovative models .
We have an exceptional team of highly competent employees with a proven track record of success in managing complex activities and achieving transformational results. Our culture is one where talented, dedicated and adaptable individuals are committed to doing their best and exhibit great team work to achieve excellent results.
At ATA, we provide an exceptional platform for people who want to achieve their highest potential and make a meaningful contribution in changing the country’s agricultural sector. We offer rewarding work in a young, fast-paced growing organization with passionate, committed, motivated colleagues and excellent career development and training. We recognize our most valuable assets are our staff and are committed to providing our employees with the tools, training and mentorships necessary to achieve their career goals.
The ATA, with the support of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) and the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock Resources (MoALR), developed an Ethiopian Agricultural Investment Mapping Project (AIM). This initiative will consist of convening government and donor partners and gathering information on their investment portfolios in order to develop a comprehensive picture of who is doing what, with whom, and where in the agriculture sector. The AIM Project aims to maintain and administrate an online database and a mapping tool, which outline all major investment taking place in the agricultural sector in Ethiopia by Government, bilateral and multilateral development agencies and other actors. The data collected will be uploaded onto an Agricultural Investment Mapping Tool, which will be tailored to fit the scope of the agricultural sector in Ethiopia. The database and Tool will categorize investment activities according to their geographical location and specific areas of intervention, aligned with Ethiopia’s Growth Transformation Plan II (GTP II). It will further outline major details about the investment projects (title, description, timeline, amount, etc.).
Currently, the ATA is in the process of formally launching the tool and supporting the MoALR, government and donor partners populate and visualize their respective investment portfolios. After the information is uploaded, the information should increase coordination among GoE and Development Partners (DPs), harmonized allocation of resources and geographically targeted interventions in the agricultural sector.
As part of the projects next phase, the AIM project team has been requested to begin engaging with the regions and design and implement a process of collecting the similar type of information for the regions. This initiative will support the regions, government, and donors get a clearer and more dis-aggregated observation of the investments and activities occurring in the regions. Towards achieving the objective of expanding the AIM tool into the four main regions, ATA will be working with Spatial Development International LLC (SpatialDev – an international technology and data visualization firm) to assist in updating the system and ultimately hosting the system at the ATA. The information and resources on the system will be accessible by users in the regions, zones, woredas, etc.
ATA is seeking a qualified candidate to serve as a Project Officer on the AIM project. The Project Officer will assist in the data management, database development and data visualization. The Project Officer will work closely with SpatialDev. This position will officially report to the Project Lead.
· Support the development of high-quality, reliable and user-friendly databases, maps and geospatial resources.
· Conduct data sourcing, management, analytics and visualization.
· Lead and facilitate regional data collection activities of the AIM project.
· Engage regularly with Regional Bureaus of Agriculture and Livestock Resources, Regional Bureaus of Finance and Economic Cooperation, Primary Implementing Partners, and Donor Organizations.
· Support the expansion of AIM tool, which would assemble agricultural and livestock investments in the regions, zones, and woredas.
· Support overall expansion and enhancement of data infrastructure, analytics and reporting capacity at ATA and regional offices.
· Engage with internal teams and external partners to identify data and information management needs and technical requirements.
· Support key data partnerships and other strategic data initiatives with ATA, RBoAs, BoFECs, and partner organizations.
· Provide support with the design of trainings for end users and regional owners of the AIM Tool and Database – RBoALR, BoFEC, Implementing partners, etc.
· Conduct trainings for RBoALR, BoFEC, and other stakeholder’s officials on how to maintain and update the AIM Tool and Database on a regular basis.
· Conduct follow up trainings in order provide troubleshooting and sustainability of using the system.
· Serve as the primary liaison with RBoALR, BoFEC, Primary Implementing Partners, and Donor Organizations about the day to day status of the data collection and any data issues;
· Provide technical backstopping to data contact person/s stationed at the regions.
· Ensuring that deadlines are adhered with regards to completion, submission, and final editing of data to the AIM project.
· Data cleaning and cross-checking in consultation with data contact persons to ascertain that data is accurate, and verifiable to the greatest degree possible.
· Support in the socialization and institutionalization of the AIM tool
· Provide input and feedback into possible improvements concerning the data collection methods.
· Work closely with AIM Senior Project Officers at federal ATA, coordinate and follow up data collection and updating the AIM central database.
· Support quality control checks during the transfer of records from ‘work-in-progress’ to ‘finalized-version’ databases for work accomplished with emphasis on relevance, comprehensiveness, conformity to established rules & standards;
· Advise users /Trouble shooting glitches might encounter to implementing Partners at the regions in the operation of application platforms;
· Bachelor or Master’s Degree in computer science, IT / ICT, management information systems, statistics, GIS or other relevant fields
· At least 5 years of experience for Bachelor’s and 3 years of experience for Master’s in data sourcing, data and database management, analytics, visualization and reporting.
· Experience in developing and maintaining large data-sets, data analysis tools
· Familiarity with project/ development, project implementation/management, funding flows tracking and reporting
· Good understanding and exposure to data visualization and GIS technologies
· Specific knowledge and/or experience with any of the following: Advanced Excel and Access, ArcGIS, QGIS, SQL, PostgreSQL, SPPS, Stata
· Ability to build relationships with stakeholders
· Ability to thrive in a fast-moving environment, with an emphasis on high performance, teamwork, accountability and results
· Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and data gathering skills
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Fluency in English is essential.
· Fluency in Amharic, is a plus based on the region you are placed
- Experience training end-users and conducting small to medium scale training sessions
- Basic understanding of Ethiopia’s agricultural system
- Experience/familiarity with digital data collection (i.e. web/mobile technology)
How to Apply
We invite all candidates meeting the required qualifications to submit (i) a cover letter, (ii) CV (maximum 5 pages) to https://apply.ata.gov.et OR firstname.lastname@example.org by mentioning the position title on the subject line.
Please DO NOT submit scans of certificates with your application.
Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.