Regional Program Officer
Internal/External Vacancy Announcement #015/2020
Qualifications and Employment Perspectives for Refugees and Host Communities in Ethiopia Programme (QEP)
The new program on Qualifications and Employment Perspectives for Refugees and Host Communities in Ethiopia (QEP) has been commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) in December 2017. The program is part of the German Special Initiative on Displacement and seeks to provide better vocational training and employment perspectives for refugees and host communities in Ethiopia. The program leverages the potentials of TVET for integration. Implementation takes place in Addis Ababa, Somali region, Tigray region, Gambella region and Benishangul-Gumuz region.
QEP works on three output levels and seeks to (1) increase the quality of technical and vocational training (TVET), (2) broaden the opportunities of TVET available to the target groups and (3) foster entrepreneurship and exchange formats for employment. QEP works together with the public TVET system and tries to extent the standards of the Ethiopian TVET system to TVET opportunities available for refugees and remote host communities. The program works in fragile social and economic contexts. It is therefore crucial that refugees and Ethiopian host communities benefit equally from program interventions. The changing regulatory framework governing inter alia access to education and employment for refugees poses a challenge and an opportunity at the same time.
The new Regional Program officer in Gambella will steer selected activities from the operation plan and ensure a timely and quality implementation. She/he will be based in Gambella.
She/he steers and ensures the satisfactory and timely implementation of activities related to the Poly-Technical TVET College Gambella, other government partners in the region, and relations with other implementing partners in the refugee camps setting. The Program Officer works with the Program Coordinator in Addis Ababa regarding the conduct of activities in Gambella. The program officer functions as the focal point of QEP in Gambella for officials from the TVET system, other relevant bureaus, ARRA and partner NGOs. She/he coordinates the GIZ-QEP office in Gambella town in cooperation with the Program Coordinator in Addis Ababa.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Establishes good working relationships with all relevant government and non-government partners in Gambella
- Contributes to establishing a network of relevant stakeholders in Gambella and sets up an implementation structure for QEP in Gambella
- Further develops and plans activities for Gambella region; steers assigned activities according to the operational plan
- Steers implementing partners / activities implemented by third parties
- Maintains good relations with the focal persons for QEP implementation at the TVET Bureau, at the Poly-Technical TVET college and other relevant (government) offices
- Cooperates, regularly communicates and updates Program Coordinator on the progress of activity implementation in Gambella
- Initiates, steers and monitors the implementation of activities in cooperation with the TVET College Gambella and other partners. This includes inter alia:
Contribution to procurement of material and equipment
Organization of training for teachers
Organization of workshops
- Develops and steers activities in the field of employment creation in Gambella region
- Explores and develops cooperation concepts with local and regional industries
- Contributes to the documentation of successful approaches to further document and develop generally applicable approaches of delivering TVET to displaced communities in remote contexts
- Collects relevant data from TVET Bureau, TVET College, implementing partners as well as other relevant organizations and provides them in appropriate form (word, excel) to QEP office Addis Ababa
- Contributes ideas about success stories and major achievements in the field, shares them with QEP office Addis Ababa and connects respective PR staff with the “faces behind the story”
- Organizes regional conferences/events and facilitates national and international visits to the implementation area in cooperation with QEP office Addis Ababa
Takes on a variety of other tasks according to changing demands
Required qualifications and experience
Master’s degree in social sciences (eg. educational science, political science, public management/policy, business, or related field
- A minimum of 5 years relevant occupation experience in the necessary field
- Experience in organizing and steering complex processes that involve a variety of stakeholders and require a high degree of coordination
- Theoretical and/or practical experience related to the Ethiopian vocational training system, the private sector and/or other Ethiopian organizations aiming at employment creation
- Experiences in entrepreneurship support and employment creation measures
- Local experience and networks in Gambella, including knowledge of relevant stakeholders in the field of vocational training, entrepreneurship, and employment creation
- Very good overview of regional and local government structures and knowledge about mandates and responsibilities of different government actors
- Knowledge and sound networks with industries and investors in Gambella, especially in the field of agriculture and agro-processing
- Experience in cooperating with Ethiopian government offices, agencies, NGOs and ideally international organizations
- Very good language skills in English (writing, speaking, listening); good knowledge of Amharic (writing, speaking, listening); good knowledge of a regional language spoken in Gambella is an advantage
- Good skills in using Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power Point, and Outlook)
Flexibility and preparedness to perform a changing array of duties according to the needs of the program
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates shall submit their motivation letter along with their non-returnable recent CV via Email
Note: – Please make sure you mention the vacancy number and position title ‘Regional Program Officer #015/2020 in the subject line of your email application. Due to large number of applications we categorise applications with the vacancy numbers. Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
We encourage persons with disabilities to apply for the position. In case of equal qualification, persons with disabilities will be given preference.
Applications from qualified women are encouraged.