Senior Advisor Seed Sector and Cooperative Development
GIZ- Internal / External Vacancy Announcement #137/2019
Supporting Sustainable Agricultural Productivity, SSAP
On behalf of the German Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Food (BMEL), GIZ-SSAP supports the activities of the Ethiopian Government in the field of sustainable agricultural productivity. Through capacity building and advanced training, GIZ-SSAP qualifies the partners to establish frame work conditions enabling policy improvements in the seed sector and cooperative development. The support professionalizes cooperatives and unions, supports the establishment of a national cooperative college and the set-up of harmonized standards in seed quality control.
The focus is on advising to improve the legal and regulatory framework of the seed sector as well as the capacity development of the cooperative sector (cooperative college, unions). Approaches are focused on decisions makers, managers and Training of Trainers. Ethiopian partners are the Ministry of Agriculture (MoA) and its respective departments as well as the Federal Cooperative Agency (FCA). The activities are synergetic with the GIZ-SSAP component “Strengthening the Seed Sector and Conservation of Genetic Resources” working at the field level with primary cooperatives.
German partners are the Academy of German Cooperatives (Akademie deutscher Genossen- schaften, ADG), the German Cooperative and Raiffeisen Association (Deutscher Genossenschafts- und Raiffeisenverband, DGRV) for the cooperative development and the Federal Plant Variety Office (Bundessortenamt, BSA) for the seed sector.
Capacity development focuses on structural, organisational and managerial aspects for both the seed sector and cooperative development. In the seed sector emphasis is given to establish an autonomous Ethiopian Federal Plant Variety and Seed Quality Control Office whereas in the cooperative sector the establishment of a cooperative college is supported.
Technical applications such as plant breeders’ rights, national listing, variety control, etc., are associated with the seed sector. Technical aspects for cooperative development are linked to institutional development, management of change as well as audit and bookkeeping of cooperatives.
Position: Senior Advisor Seed Sector and Cooperative Development
Application deadline: August 15, 2019
Required Candidates : One
Place of Work : Addis Ababa
- Coordinate activities in the seed and cooperative sector with relevant Ethiopian and SSAP program partners
- Participate at national meetings related to the seed and cooperative sector including relationship building with other donor programs
- Provide technical support in planning and implementation of training measures (MoA, FCA, Unions, Cooperative College, etc.)
- Stay abreast of any developments in the focal working areas
- Regular exchange with and feedback to SSAP Program Coordinator
The Senior Advisor Seed Sector and Cooperative Development performs following tasks:
Coordinate activities in the seed and cooperative sector with relevant Ethiopian and SSAP program partners
- Support the SSAP Program Coordinator in relevant subject matters related to the seed and cooperative sector
- Facilitate missions of international experts to consult Ethiopian partners in selected thematic areas of the seed and cooperative sector and arrange discussion platforms for professional exchange
- Identify relevant policy frame conditions of the seed regulatory and cooperative sector to provide professional advice and systemic support
- Create and maintain good working relations with all partners (MoA, FCA, etc.)
- Coordinate the partnership between the Ethiopian MoA Seed Regulatory Directorate and the BSA (German Federal Plant Variety Authority)
- Support development concepts, strategies and human capacity schemes to foster Ethiopia’s seed sector harmonization with international standards (ISTA, UPOV, OECD, etc.)
- Represent SSAP in the National Seed Advisory Council to contribute to MoA seed policy, legal issues and systemic areas
- Assist in planning and carrying out study visits in Ethiopia and Germany
- Define terms of reference, selection and supervision of contracted third parties in carrying out consultancy studies, project activities, performance evaluation, etc.
- Coordinate the partnership between FCA and DGRV and DAG
- Coordinate activities related to establishing the Cooperative College Ardaita and ADG
- Represent SSAP in national task force meetings and actively participate in the transformation process of Ardaita ATVET into a national Cooperative College
- In collaboration with FCA identify support to promote ToT when conducting audit, accounting, certification, and marketing training
Provide technical support in the planning and implementation of training measures
- Plan training with target groups such as MoA, respective departments and relevant working groups; FCA, Cooperative College Ardaita, Unions
- Participate at training related to the seed and cooperative sector organized by other donors
- Organize study visits to Germany with relevant German partners
- Identify training needs
Other duties/additional tasks
- Prepare and implement annual operational plans and budget
- Prepare monthly and other reports as requested
- Contribute to monitoring and evaluation tasks
- Cooperate and ensure regular contacts with SSAP program components, other GIZ programs, other donor programs and partners
- Prepare contracts, terms of reference, Memorandum of Understanding for external consultants, and other partnerships
Conduct regular duty trips as required
Required qualifications, competences and experience
- College or university degree in agricultural business, agricultural economics, agriculture policies or business management (PhD or Master degree is preferred)
- Familiar with international and Ethiopian seed sector issues and cooperative development
- Experience in writing workshops and advancing agricultural policies
- Minimum of 10 years experiences in the agricultural seed and cooperative sector
- Working experience with / in public offices including development of change
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Excellent communication and organizational skills as well as ability to multi-task
Fluency in English and in Amharic are mandatory; German would be an asset
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates shall submit their motivation letter along with their non-returnable recent CV via Ethiojobs or Email : email@example.com
Please make sure you mention the Vacancy Number ‘Senior Advisor Seed Sector and Cooperative Development #137/2019 in the subject line of your email application. Due to large number of applications we categorise applications with the vacancy numbers. Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.Applications from qualified women are encouraged