I. TechnoServe Background:
TechnoServe is a leader in harnessing the power of the private sector to help people lift themselves out of poverty. A nonprofit organization operating in 29 countries, we work with hard-working men and women in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. By linking people to information, capital, and markets, we have helped millions to create lasting prosperity for their families and communities. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. In East Africa, we operate in Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, and Uganda. Across the region, we implement a range of large-scale value chain interventions, agribusiness programs and entrepreneurship/economic empowerment projects. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
II. Program Description:
Nespresso has launched its 2020-2030 strategy with the belief that great coffee can shape lives and landscapes for the better. Achieving this ambition requires Nespresso and its partners to further align the supply chain within the AAA program, drive greater traceability and transparency, and expand certification.
In order to help Nespresso fulfill its strategic goals mainly related to coffee quality and traceability, sustainability and organic certification, TechnoServe proposes a five-year training program that deepens the company’s existing partnerships with exporters and wet mills, expands Nespresso’s supply of high quality coffee in Ethiopia and aligns the incentives of important partners throughout the value chain. Under this “Phase 3” of the AAA Program in Ethiopia, TechnoServe will build on the success and learnings of the previous eight years while adding new innovations and sharpening the program’s focus to achieve the core objectives over the next five years:
III. Position Description:
As the Agronomy Senior Advisor you will directly contribute to the Nespresso
program’s deep impact by leading a team of agronomy advisors and farmer to train
more than 8,800 coffee HHS for a year. You will train, and supervise your team
to provide monthly training on good agricultural practices to farmer groups.
You will report directly to the PM while supervising the agronomy unit and
Managing local government relationships. You will ensure the effective, timely, and
High quality delivery of trainings and follow-up support activities to Agronomy
IV. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Planning and management of BA’s and FT’s
- Submit SAA Weekly work plan to Program Manager
- Review AA weekly work plans and previous week’s achievements.
- Attend monthly Agronomy SAA team meeting
- Manage monthly AA meeting
- Clearly communicate goals and roles and responsibilities to all staff
- Provide feedback, coaching and development activities related to performance management, following HR guidelines.
- Notify Project Manager of any performance issues as soon as observed.
- Develop a team spirit among all reports.
- Manage Farmer Trainer of the month awards for area and Cohort.
- Support monthly Agronomy trainings to AA’s and FT’s
- Review the monthly agronomy modules and give feedback
- Deliver modelling training to AA’s every month at local training demonstration plot
- Attend modelling sessions to FT’s, complete Training Observation form for AA, give feedback to AA’s (applicable to AA’s delivering training)
- Ensure all training materials reach AA’s on time
- Support AA’s in the field
- Observe full training to farmers
- Complete the training observation form and give feedback to AA and FT
- Check attendance form, cross-check with the number of farmers seen as present. Ensure reported data is accurate.
- Check demo plot status, complete form, and give feedback to AA and FT
- Visit farmers selected at random, with AA and FT
- Discuss training, farmer adoption, and challenges
- Complete Best Practice checklist with AA and FT
- Attendance M & E
- Collect, review and submit a complete set of FT’s attendance sheets to M & E within 10 days of training completion.
- Discuss any attendance issues with AAs and Project Manager and develop an action plan.
Compile weekly attendance updates and submit to the Project manager
- Training Observation Forms
- Ensure Observation forms are being completed and uploaded by AA’s.
- Discuss any performance issues related to training quality with AA’s and take appropriate action.
- Stakeholder Management
- Create a good working relationship with stakeholders.
- In consultation with the Project Manager hold meetings with Agricultural Development and administration offices of the appropriate Wereda’s once every quarter.
- Meet with Cooperative to give progress reports every quarter.
- Attend annual stakeholder meeting
- Agronomy Budget
- Implement and manage agronomy budget for the area
- Prepare monthly agronomy budget and submit to the area finance office
- Timely submission of all internal reporting requirements.
- Collect receipts from AAs for FT accommodation and transport costs and prepare the necessary paperwork for payment
· Bachelor’s Degree in Agronomy or Agricultural Science, Plant science, Crop sciences, and Horticulture etc/Masters preferred.
· 5 to 7 years’ professional experience – ideally private sector – in one or more of the following areas: coffee processing or agronomy, business or cooperative management, SME development, agriculture.
· Is an excellent people manager with at least 3 years of professional management experience, preferably including experience in or with the private sector.
· Strong coffee and agricultural expertise especially in regard to the development of coffee production systems.
· A demonstrable understanding of TechnoServe Agronomy Program, this should include knowledge of Agronomy best practices and practical working experience.
· Solid private sector strategy and management experience, including in several of the following key skills areas – coffee yield improvements and training
· Inspirational leader of professional staff
· Developing country experience
· Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural skills
· Willingness to travel domestically when necessary
· Computer Literacy
· Excellent communication skills, written and oral, in both English and Amharic (knowledge of local language is a strong added advantage)
VI. Preferred Skills:
- Experience of working or worked on Nespresso Farm support and academy plus has an advantages
VII. Success Factors:
Competency is a combination of knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) directly related to successful performance on the job.
Core Competencies include:
- Integrity and honesty : Is widely trusted; seen as a direct, truthful individual; presents truthful information in an appropriate and helpful manner; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; does not misrepresent himself or herself for personal gain.
- Team Work/ Relationships: Works co-operatively and flexibly with other members of the team with a full understanding of the role to be played as a team member and/or leader, to achieve a common goal. Ability to build and maintain effective relationships and networks.
- Learning attitude: Proactively takes advantage of opportunities to learn. Actively identifies new areas for learning; applies and shares new knowledge and skill appropriately.
- Diversity/Inclusiveness: Demonstrates an understanding and appreciation for diversity and supports diversity efforts. Interacts effectively with and inclusively with people of all races, cultures, ethnicities, backgrounds, religions, ages, and genders.
- Communication: Expresses ideas effectively in individual and group situations. Listens effectively; shares information, ideas and arguments; adjusts terminology, language and communication modes to the needs of the audience; ensures accurate understanding; acts in a way that facilitates open exchange of ideas and information; uses appropriate non-verbal communication.
- Decision making/Problem Solving: Is able to analyze situations, diagnose problems, identify the key issues, establish and evaluate alternative courses of action and produce a logical, practical and acceptable solution. Is able to make effective decisions on a day-to-day basis, taking ownership of decisions, demonstrating sound judgement in escalating issues where necessary.
- Results Oriented/ High Quality Deliverables: Stays focused on the efforts necessary to achieve quality results consistent with programmatic or departmental goals. Demonstrates the ability to achieve effective results; works persistently to overcome obstacles to goal achievement. Accomplishes tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks.
- Planning & Time Management: Establishes a course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a specific goal. Effectively plans, schedules, prioritizes and controls activities; identifies, integrates and orchestrates resources (people, material, information, budget, and/or time) to accomplish goals. Prioritizes work according to the program or department’s goals, not just own job responsibilities; manages own time effectively.
- Business Acumen: The ability to use information, ask the right questions and take decisions that make an impact on the overall business performance.
Job Specific/Technical Competencies include:
- Financial & Resource Management: The ability to estimate, justify, and manage appropriate funding levels to support goal accomplishment. Managing Resources is about understanding human, financial, and operational resource issues to make decisions aimed at building and planning efficient project workflows, and at improving overall organizational performance.
- Donor/Partnership Management: Identifying opportunities and taking action to build strategic relationships between one’s area and other areas, teams, departments, or organizations to help achieve business goals.
- Analysis, Research, Report Writing: Experience in business planning and analysis, modeling for feasibility and execution. Able to analyze and express oneself clearly in business writing.
- Innovative Mindset: Curious inquiries, asks questions and seeks out information from multiple sources, learns from mistakes, sees change as an opportunity.
· Emotional Intelligence: The act of knowing, understanding, and responding to emotions, overcoming stress in the moment, and being aware of how your words and actions affect others. Emotional intelligence consists of 4 attributes: self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, and relationship management.
· Strategic Thinking: Managers should recognize key actions, underlying problems, make connection and patterns, see consequences and implications. Anticipates obstacles realistically and plans ways to deal with them.
· Staff Development: managers are required to work with employees to plan on the development of skills and abilities so that they can fulfill current or future job/role responsibilities more effectively.
· Trust to Delegate: managers should have trust and willingness to assign responsibilities to direct reports and give them discretion and authority to carry them out.
· Feedback/Coaching (mentoring): managers should give instructions, suggestions, explanations, and feedback to subordinates. (SPI+R)
How to Apply
Qualified and interested applicants should Click here to apply for this position and submit a cover letter resume as a single document (either Word or PDF) by November 3o,2021. Applications will be reviewed and considered as received/on a rolling basis. Please identify the position for which you are applying in the subject line. Only applicants meeting minimum qualifications will be contacted. Please note that we are not accepting CVs that are not sent through the indicated link.
For now, the duration of the position will be up to the end of 2022, with the possibility of an extension
TECHNOSERVE ENCOURAGES DIVERSITY IN ALL LEVELS AND ACROSS ALL FACETS OF OUR ORGANIZATION. WITH THIS COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, WE ARE PROUD TO BE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND DO NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF GENDER, RACE, COLOR, ETHNICITY, RELIGION, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER IDENTITY, AGES, DISABILITY, AND ALL OTHER PROTECTED CLASSES.
TechnoServe has the right to cancel this advertisement.
FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY