ETHIOPIAN AGRICULTURAL TRANSFORMATION AGENCY
Position : Senior Manager – Evaluations (Re-advert)
Term of Employment : One year with possibility of extension
Duty Station(s) : Addis Ababa
Required Number: One
Salary & Benefits : Competitive
Application Deadline : February 23, 2020
The Ethiopian Agricultural Transformation Agency (ATA) is a strategy and delivery-oriented government agency created to help accelerate the growth and transformation of the country’s agriculture sector. The ATA envisions that, by 2025, smallholder farmers are commercialized with greater incomes, inclusiveness, resilience and sustainability, contributing to Ethiopia’s achievement of middle-income country status.
The agency focuses on two primary national approaches to catalyze agricultural transformation. First, we support the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock Resources (MoA), its affiliate institutions, and other partners to identify and address systemic bottlenecks within an Agricultural Transformation Agenda. Second, we support Regional Governments to accelerate development of high-priority commodity value chains in clearly defined geographic clusters, through the Agricultural Commercialization Clusters (ACC) Initiative.
Our major activities include conducting strategic and analytical studies, providing technical implementation support, coordinating platforms to better integrate partners and projects, and designing and directly leading a number of implementation projects. Our headquarters are in Addis Ababa, and we have regional offices in Amhara, Oromia, SNNP, and Tigray regional offices, allowing us to work closely with a wide range of public, private and development sector partners across the country.
We have an exceptional team of highly competent employees with a proven track record of success in managing complex activities and achieving transformational results. Our culture is one where talented, dedicated and adaptable individuals are committed to doing their best and exhibit great team work to achieve excellent results.
At ATA, we provide an exceptional platform for people who want to achieve their highest potential and make a meaningful contribution in changing the country’s agricultural sector. We offer rewarding work in a young, fast-paced growing organization with passionate, committed, motivated colleagues and excellent career development and training. We recognize our most valuable assets are our staff and are committed to providing our employees with the tools, training and mentorships necessary to achieve their career goals.
The Senior Manager for Evaluations will report to the Evaluations and Learning Unit Director and contributes to the team in the following key activities. Lead Evaluation and Baselines for projects implemented by Ethiopian Agricultural Transformation Agency (ATA) and projects of the Transformation Agenda. He/she leads team members reporting to him/her and is the key person in all the evaluation and baseline phases including research design, instrument development, engaging in the field work, data analysis and writing evaluation and baseline report. He/she is also responsible to staff capacity building on research and evaluations and contributes to project/program learning. The Senior Evaluation Manager also involves in project design especially in developing Result’s Framework for new projects and refines Results Framework for those projects having RFs as necessary.
- Support in designing of projects engaging in Results Framework development and ensure the RFs are to the expected standard with SMART indicators and logical linkages.
- Lead evaluations of projects owned by ATA in collaboration with other EL team and project implementation teams.
- Work with project teams in planning baseline and evaluations timelines and budgeting.
- Design appropriate research methods that reflect the objective and complexity of the project.
- Undertake meta-analysis of data collected through multiple projects to examine and identify drivers of change or impact indicators.
- Work with the project teams and partner institutions in designing research instruments.
- Lead programming of the instruments in to electronic data collection systems (KOBO, CSPro, survey CTO, etc)
- Engage and lead primary and secondary data collection, cleaning and analysis.
- Lead evaluation and baseline report writing as per the expected standard.
- Support evaluations to be conducted by external consultants as appropriate.
- Work with CCI team to ensure mainstreaming of cross-cutting issues (like Gender, Climate and Nutrition) in the entire process of evaluations and baselines.
- Facilitate stakeholder’s workshops/meetings to validate evaluation findings and disseminate results of evaluations to relevant parties.
- Facilitate capacity-building activities with ATA staff on research and evaluations.
- Work with Learning Manager and communications team to produce and communicate learning and evaluation briefs.
- Maintain evaluation tracker for monitoring the evaluation process.
- Perform other duties as required and requested by the Evaluations and learning Director.
- Master’s Degree in Development Economics, Agricultural Economics/ Economics, Development Studies, Monitoring and Evaluation, Statistics, or other relevant fields.
- More than 8 years for MA/MS holders or more than 10 years for BA/BS holders with on hands on experiences working on baseline studies, evaluation and/or impact evaluation, preferably in the field of agriculture and rural development
- Deep understanding of the theory and application of performance evaluation as well as impact evaluation approaches
- Experience on meta-analysis, trend analysis and impact evaluations
- Specific experience and skills on research design, implementation and report writing
- Specific experiences in designing monitoring & evaluation systems based on project frameworks such as logical framework, results framework, outcome mapping
- Practical experience with data management and analytical software such as SPSS/Stata, etc
- Experience in independently undertaking all the phases of baselines and evaluations
- High level of research report writing skills
- Consultancy experience is an advantage
- An understanding of Ethiopia’s agricultural system, with a broad perspective on how the entire system operates and how public, private, NGO and informal actors operate within the system
- Strong analytical skills as well as good knowledge of on-going efforts to transform agriculture in Ethiopia
- Ability to thrive in a fast-moving, start-up environment, with an emphasis on high performance, teamwork, accountability and results
- Highly facilitative and collaborative working style
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and data gathering skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong set of personal values including integrity, honesty and desire to be of service
- Fluency in English and Amharic is essential.