ETHIOPIAN AGRICULTURAL TRANSFORMATION AGENCY
Position : Senior Project Officer -Horticulture Value Chain Expert
Teams: ATA Amhara Regional Offices
Term of Employment : One year with possibility of extension
Duty Station(s) : Bahir Dar
Required Number: Two
Salary & Benefits : Competitive
Application Deadline : June 06,2021
The Ethiopian Agricultural Transformation Agency (ATA) is a strategy and delivery-oriented government agency created to help accelerate the growth and transformation of the country’s agriculture sector. The ATA envisions that, by 2025, smallholder farmers are commercialized with greater incomes, inclusiveness, resilience, and sustainability, contributing to Ethiopia’s achievement of middle-income country status.
The agency focuses on two primary national approaches to catalyze agricultural transformation. First, we support the Ministry of Agriculture (MoA) , its affiliate institutions, and other partners to identify and address systemic bottlenecks within an Agricultural Transformation Agenda. Second, we support Regional Governments to accelerate development of high-priority commodity value chains in clearly defined geographic clusters, through the Agricultural Commercialization Clusters (ACC) Initiative.
Our major activities include conducting strategic and analytical studies, providing technical implementation support, coordinating platforms to better integrate partners and projects, and designing and directly leading a number of implementation projects. Our headquarters are in Addis Ababa, and we have regional offices in Amhara, Oromia, SNNP, and Tigray regional offices, allowing us to work closely with a wide range of public, private and development sector partners across the country.
We have an exceptional team of highly competent employees with a proven track record of success in managing complex activities and achieving transformational results. Our culture is one where talented, dedicated, and adaptable individuals are committed to doing their best and exhibit great team work to achieve excellent results.
At ATA, we provide an exceptional platform for people who want to achieve their highest potential and make a meaningful contribution in changing the country’s agricultural sector. We offer rewarding work in a young, fast-paced growing organization with passionate, committed, motivated colleagues and excellent career development and training. We recognize our most valuable assets are our staff and are committed to providing our employees with the tools, training and mentorships necessary to achieve their career goals.
The role of the Senior Project Officer-Horticulture Value Chain Expert (SPO) within the Federal ACC Team and ATA Regional Offices working closely with staff in ATA’s Regional Offices, is to lead this coordination of efforts across partners for the Horticulture value chain as well as implement key interventions that are owned by ATA but sit outside the purview of other ATA teams. Specifically, the SPO will be instrumental in the design, development of value add programs while providing implementation support to bring about efficiency across the Value chain alongside key Government , private sector and development partners . The SPO will also be responsible to develop operational planning, budgeting and reporting on Horticulture activities at the regional and cluster levels, and provide technical backstopping, capacity building and support across implementing partners.
Critical gaps and interventions have been identified in the prioritized commodity value chains related to:
- Improved Horticulture input provision
- Appropriate irrigation water management-based extension service
- Quality produce
- Safety precautions while producing, harvesting, packing, storing, and transporting horticultural produce.
- Classification of produce based on domestic and international grade requirement
- Monitoring and control on the utilization of agrochemicals
- Poor initiation and awareness on organic production of horticultural crops
- Producer-organization, agribusiness, agro-processing, and packaging industry development, including both business management and technical capacity building and enabling environment enhancement.
- Marketing, sales, and Customer Relationship Management (CRM) capacity building for various types of organizations (government, private sector, and non-governmental organizations)
- Domestic marketing (all commodities) and international marketing for horticulture efforts, including collective branding initiatives.
- Contract farming and market linkage facilitation
- The SPO is responsible for the successful delivery of the horticulture initiative in these areas, working closely with a range of other ATA teams, and coordinating implementing partners and stakeholders across horticulture value chains. He/she will report to the ACC Program Director under the Senior Director of the Regional Office and will work closely with other staff in the Federal ACC Team, Regional Office Directors, and other ATA staff at various levels.
- Introduction of new technologies and farming system, participatory planning of production and marketing activities, improved market information and targeted business development services to enhance production and productivity of small farm holders.
- Provide technical backstopping to regional, woreda partners including DA’s and farmers on coordination between producers, processors, and marketing. This includes working with other ATA teams.
- Ensure effective operational planning of interventions and activities, budgeting, reporting and monitoring and evaluation, and communications with partners and broader stakeholders, including putting in place relevant systems and processes as required.
- Ensure effective day-to-day to management and execution of relevant ATA-owned interventions implemented by the initiatives at national and regional levels.
- Effective oversight and tracking of relevant ATA-owned interventions implemented by other ATA teams.
- Identify concrete commercial opportunities and conduct market analysis for horticulture value chain to include new market opportunities with retail chains or with their suppliers on production and market integration.
- Impact the Value addition of small farm holder horticulture products through quality assurance, package, and marketing.
- Map national, regional, and international potential markets identified and market channel
- Determine the nature of value added in the value chain – safety and quality of the product, branding and labeling, social, gender related and environmental norms and sustainability standards. Compliance with standards implies high certification costs (for producers) and high monitoring costs (for buyers).
- Suggest improvements in the value chain system to ensure direct linkages of the farmers with the major markets and increased incomes from their produce.
- Evaluate investment needs to upgrade production and processing, accessing finance, improving production practices, upgrading post-harvest handling and storage.
How to Apply
We invite all candidates meeting the required qualifications to submit (i) a cover letter and (ii) CV (maximum 3 pages), at http://apply.ata.gov.et and include “Application for Senior Project Officer- Horticulture Value Chain Expert ” in the subject line.
Also, please DO NOT submit scans of certificates with your application form.
Women are highly encouraged to apply.
NB. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted .