ETHIOPIAN AGRICULTURAL TRANSFORMATION AGENCY
Position : Senior Technical Expert I, Inclusive Growth (IG)
Term of Employment: One year with possibility of extension
Duty Station (s): Addis Ababa
Required Number: One
Salary & Benefits: Competitive
Application Deadline : August 26, 2019
The Ethiopian Agricultural Transformation Agency (ATA) is a strategy and delivery oriented government agency created to help accelerate the growth and transformation of the country’s agriculture sector. The ATA envisions that, by 2025, smallholder farmers are commercialized with greater incomes, inclusiveness, resilience and sustainability, contributing to Ethiopia’s achievement of middle-income country status.
The agency focuses on two primary national approaches to catalyze agricultural transformation. First, we support the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock Resources (MoALR), its affiliate institutions, and other partners to identify and address systemic bottlenecks within an Agricultural Transformation Agenda. Second, we support Regional Governments to accelerate development of high-priority commodity value chains in clearly defined geographic clusters, through the Agricultural Commercialization Clusters (ACC) Initiative.
Our major activities include conducting strategic and analytical studies, providing technical implementation support, coordinating platforms to better integrate partners and projects, and designing and directly leading a number of implementation projects. Our headquarters are in Addis Ababa, and we have regional offices in Amhara, Oromia, SNNP, and Tigray regional offices, allowing us to work closely with a wide range of public, private and development sector partners across the country.
We have an exceptional team of highly competent employees with a proven track record of success in managing complex activities and achieving transformational results. Our culture is one where talented, dedicated and adaptable individuals are committed to doing their best and exhibit great team work to achieve excellent results.
At ATA, we provide an exceptional platform for people who want to achieve their highest potential and make a meaningful contribution in changing the country’s agricultural sector. We offer rewarding work in a young, fast-paced growing organization with passionate, committed, motivated colleagues and excellent career development and training. We recognize our most valuable assets are our staff and are committed to providing our employees with the tools, training and mentorships necessary to achieve their career goals.
The Senior Technical Expert (STE), Inclusive Growth will primarily support the mainstreaming of gender, youth and nutrition considerations across all ATA initiatives. The STE is expected to provide programmatic and technical content expertise related to gender, youth and nutrition issues within ATA’s Crosscutting Initiative team and will focus on:
(i) developing technical capacities within ATA on gender, youth and nutrition;
(ii) providing content input to ATA projects, the ACC initiative, Core Analytics and Evaluation and learning teams on gender, youth and nutrition considerations
(iii) developing gender, youth and nutrition specific products as necessary
The STE will report to the Director of Crosscutting Initiatives (CCI) team.
- Directly support CCI Director in developing the content and technical capabilities of ATA program teams through developing a training/mentoring and coaching program and supporting delivery of the same.
- Share lessons learned on IG through ATA’s initiatives and processes among ATA staff and with stakeholders
Technical input to various ATA teams:
- Provide technical input to project and analytical teams as they plan and organize gender, youth and nutrition interventions
- Provide technical input and continuous support to ATA project teams during implementation of gender, youth and nutrition related interventions
- Provide technical input and continuous support to ACC implementation and design refinement
- Engage with ATA’s core analytics team to provide technical input on upcoming studies, and other analytical work from gender, youth and nutrition perspective
- Under the supervision of ATA’s communications team, design briefing materials on gender, youth and nutrition issues
- Provide technical support to ATA’s Project and Program Management (PPM) and Evaluation and Learning (E&L) teams for developing IG mainstreaming performance targets and tracking progress on gender, youth and nutrition related initiatives of various programs and the ACC Initiative
Inclusive Growth specific products
- Directly support the CCI Director in enhancing or updating the CCI framework and tools for mainstreaming and tracking IG issues both in relation to the current ATA projects and in the context of ACC including identifying key gender, youth and nutrition interventions, analyze and prioritize the identified interventions and developing action plan for implementation
- Directly support the CCI Director to identify (upon consultation with stakeholders) IG related crosscutting deliverables for implementation during project design and implementation as per ATA’s project design template.
- Assist in identifying and sharing new and required national and international sources of data and information on IG.
- Engage in IG consultations with key stakeholders and build independent working relationships with all stakeholders at all levels; Organize ATA’s workshop and represent ATA in national and international seminars, forums and conferences on issues related to IG
- Prepare presentations, propose ideas for communication and support facilitation of constructive dialogue where required
- Contribute to knowledge sharing and creation of positive atmosphere in teams and across teams, as appropriate.
- Demonstrate depth of expertise in area of IG, and use knowledge to enrich and guide problem-solving with teams and external stakeholders
- Master’s Degree or above level of education in gender, development or related fields.
- At least 8 years of experience in the field of gender, youth and agriculture issues.
- Proven skill in program design, performance management, learning systems and monitoring & evaluation.
- Deep understanding of and work experience on Ethiopia’s agricultural systems and gender, youth and nutrition issues, with a broad perspective on agricultural value chains and an intimate knowledge of how public, private and informal actors operate within the system.
- Excellent analytical skills and strong project management background.
- Practical experience in piloting and scaling up relevant solutions at the local level.
- Excellent interpersonal skills as well as stakeholder management and coordination experiences.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong set of personal values including integrity, honesty and desire to be of service.
- Fluency in Amharic and sufficient command of English language are essential. Knowledge of additional Ethiopian language is desired.
How to Apply
We invite all candidates meeting the required qualifications to send (i) a cover letter and (ii) CV ( maximum 3 pages) at http://apply.ata.gov.et
Also, please DO NOT submit scans of certificates with your application form.
Women are highly encouraged to apply.
NB. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.