The Resident Engineer will oversee the day to-day operations of all construction and general infrastructure of the new office premises to ensure that works proceed as designed and comply with established standards and procedures. The incumbent will be supported by Project manager and Administration staff.
All UNHCR personnel are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
Type of Contract: Individual Contractor Agreement
Duration of Contract: Three Months
No of Vacant Position: 1 (One)
The Resident Engineer will be resident at the new office premises to provide daily supervision of the works that the contractor will be undertaking. He/ She will report to the Project Manager (Relocation) who will be responsible for the overall integral relocation of the office from the old premises to the new premises.
- Supervise the daily works that the contractor is undertaking to ensure that the workmanship and quality of works is in accordance with the specifications.
- Confirm that the quality of the materials being used, and the workmanship of works are in accordance with the specifications
- Measure the quantity of works done on a daily basis and provide the PM with the volume of works done as compared to the original quantities
- Ascertain any variations on the works and bring this to the notice of the Project Manager for authorization and approvals
- Ensure that the contractor deploys the right number of workers and equipment for the daily implementation of the works
- Oversee the painting and restoration works that the landlord in undertaking for the first, second, third floor and external works.
- Together with the Project Manager (Relocation) instruct the contractor on the priority of works to be undertaken to ensure timely completion of all works.
- Report to the Project Manager (Relocation) any challenges that will delay the completion of the project and ensure that a timely solution is provided to the Contractor.
- Provide weekly reports indicating the progress of works.
- Any other responsibilities that the Project Manager (relocation) will assign to ensure timely completion of the works.
- Coordinate daily tasks with the contractor who is working on the new UNHCR office premises.
Essential Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- Education: A Civil Engineer or Architect
- Job experience: 5 years’ experience in the construction of buildings, facilities management and site works. Experience with renovations works is a great advantage.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language.
Managerial and Cross Functional Competencies
- Judgement and Decision Making
- Analytical Thinking
- Political Awareness
- Stakeholder Management
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies
- Working knowledge of the following software is required for this assignment: Microsoft word and Excel; AutoCAD drawing software; Microsoft Project and Structural design software
How to Apply
This vacancy is open for qualified Ethiopians only.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
UNHCR is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Applicants who wish to be considered for this position should send a motivation letter, the most recent factsheet and the new updated P11 Form through the online application system, using the link below:-