Established in 1991, the Ethiopian Human Rights Council (EHRCO) is the first non-governmental human rights organization working on the promotion and protection of human rights in Ethiopia. EHRCO is free from the influence of political parties, religious institutions, tribal groups, and social classes. It stands for democracy, the rule of law and the respect of human rights. In accordance with “The Civil Society Organizations Proclamation No 1113/2019”, EHRCO was re-registered as an independent and non-profit human rights institution.
The Senior Advocacy and Communication Officer support the formulation and implementation of communication and advocacy strategies to increase the standing and awareness of EHRCO with partners, the media and the public. The Senior Advocacy and Communication Officer promote a client-oriented approach in EHRCO and Project. S/he will be responsible for planning and communication related support in the efficient and effective execution of project activities. In carrying out her/hi responsibilities, s/he will develop a strong communication tool and provide necessary information among all the stakeholders. S/he will advocate and promote the works of EHRCO and will also work closely with project team and program cluster, government officials, CSO, and donors. The communication and advocacy Officer will be expected to portray professionalism and respect for diversity.
- Facilitate and guide EHRCO’s institutional advocacy strategy;
- Follow up with regular reports, special reports, alerts and press statements of the organization
- Facilitate the development of joint advocacy strategies with partners associated networks, partners and other offices of our organization;
- Identify, assess and develop strategic partnerships with key actors to achieve our policy goals;
- Take the lead in organising media outreach; arranges all media contacts, press briefings, and interviews; provides talking points and other materials as needed for senior staff; responds to media inquiries quickly and effectively.
- Coordinate production of a diverse range of information products including audio/visual communications, when needed to achieve specific policy goals;
- Support and advise Head and branch offices to carry out lobby and advocacy properly;
- Ensure timely development of position papers, policy briefings, presentations and other advocacy materials and communication media;\
- Advice technical staff and the management for meaningful engagement with key actors and institutions;
- Support opportunities for fundraising
Essential skills and experience
- Degree in Journalism and Communication, Law, Political science, or paired with 3 years related experience is required.
- Passion for human rights, justice and fairness
- Strong spoken and written communication skills
- Ability to absorb and analyze large amounts of information
- A high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to explain legal matters clearly in non-legal language
- Confidence and a persuasive manner
- Ability to work under pressure
- Time management and strong organizational skills.
- Good understanding of political affairs and dynamics in Ethiopia and the world
How to Apply
If you would like to apply EHRCO’s team, please send your CV and application letter with contact details of three work-related references through [email protected] within 5 working days from the date of this announcement