The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Graphic Designer
Reference Code: 10000986 / 2020 / 003
Location : Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Post level: GSA6 (Step 1)
Department: Directorate Conference Management and Publications
Supervisor: Senior Publication Officer
Overall Supervisor: Director of Conference Management and Publications
Contract Type: Regular (Long Duration)
Employment Fraction: Full-time
Overview / Organization
- The African Union, established as a unique Pan African continental body, is charged with spearheading Africa’s rapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among the peoples of Africa and African States as well as developing a new partnership worldwide. Its Headquarters is located in Addis Ababa, capital city of Ethiopia.
- In seeking to attain this objective, the African Union Commission is inviting qualified applicants who are citizens of Member States of the African Union to apply for the position of Graphic Designer.
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Publication Officer and overall supervision by the Director of Conference Management and Publications, the responsibilities and duties of the incumbent shall include the following:
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Create visual concepts, using computer softwares (Adobe Packages), to communicate ideas that inspire, inform, or captivate clients.
- Develop the overall layout and production design for advertisements, brochures, magazines, and corporate reports.
- Up to date with industry leading software and technologies (In Design, Illustrator, Photoshop)
- Take pictures or film objects using a blend of technical skills and artistic.
- Understand and interprete clients need.
- Advise clients on strategies to reach a particular audience.
- Ability to interact, communicate and manage in presenting ideas in visual format.
- In doing this, the interpreter shall:
- Help develop Logos when required;
- Create manuals and tutorial video when required.
- Perform other related duties that may be assigned by the Director, or immediate supervisor.
Educational Qualifications & Work Experience:
- Candidates must have a Certificate in Adobe InDesign, Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop from a recognized school.
- A Certificate or Diploma in the field of management will be an added advantage.
- Candidate should have at least Four (4) years of continuous working experience in developing layout and production design with AU, UN and other international organizations.
Required Skills & Competencies:
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Team Spirit;
- A good knowledge of a videography editing will be an added value;
- Computer literacy.
- Candidates must be fluent in (2) of the four AU working languages.
Tenure of Appointment:
- The appointment will be made on a Regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of with the first twelve months will be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two (2) years’ renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Least Represented Countries:
- Candidates from the following least represented countries within the AU are encouraged to apply: Algeria, Angola, Cape Verde, Central African Rep. , Comoros, Congo, Congo (DRC), Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini , Ghana, Guinea, Libya, Liberia, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Mozambique, Mauritius, Namibia, Nigeria , Saharawi Arab D.R. , Seychelles, Somalia, South Africa and South Sudan.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 19,485.00 (GSA6 Step 1) per annum plus other related entitlements such as Post adjustment (46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 16,813.44 (per annum), education allowance (75% of tuition and other education related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 7,800.00 per child per annum), etc. for internationally recruited staff of the Commission.
Application Closing Date
9th November, 2020.
To submit your application:
- Create an account via the link above ( Click here to see instructional video)
- Fill out your personal information and the application form
- Applications are pre-screened by the system according to the published requirements of the job opening on the basis of the information provided in the application.
- In relation to the requirements of the job opening, applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their qualifications, including their education, work experience, and language skills.
- Each applicant must bear in mind that submission of incomplete or inaccurate applications may render that applicant ineligible for consideration for the job opening. Initial screening and evaluation of applications will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted. Applications cannot be amended following submission.
- Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a reference-checking process to verify the information provided in the application.