GIZ-Internal/External Vacancy Announcement #042/2021
Support to the Ethiopian Human Rights Commission
The Human Rights Advisor will be based in the GIZ Country Office in Addis Ababa. S/he will work as part of a project to provide support to the Ethiopian Human Rights Commission. The main focus of this assignment is to provide advice and support to the German Development Cooperation on human rights related issues and approaches. The advisor works closely with other German technical cooperation programmes.
Contract Duration : From May 01, 2021 to April 30, 2023
Responsibilities and Duties
- Support the German Development Cooperation in human rights analysis/studies, as well as in the function of committee member of a steering board in a joint donor-supported project with the Ethiopian Human Rights Commission
- Provide advice, support and on request trainings to GIZ teams in integrating human rights into the Ethio-German cooperation programmes and activities
- Support the German Development Cooperation in promoting human rights as a common value and upholding international norms and standards
- Support overall project-related tasks such as monitoring, reporting, coordination of short-term consultancies
- Where applicable, advise on integrating human rights in humanitarian response and post-crisis recovery
- Other tasks as required
Required qualifications, professional experience and additional competencies
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in law, political science, international relations or another related field
- A minimum of 5 years relevant professional experience at the national level in the field of human rights, with development and/or humanitarian expertise.
- Experience in organising complex processes that involve a variety of stakeholders and require a high degree of coordination
- Experience in project management, planning and smooth steering of activities
- Experiences in designing and conducting human rights approaches
- Fluency in oral and written English (writing, speaking, listening); Fluency in oral and written Amharic; knowledge of German is an advantage
Other knowledge and additional competencies
- Excellent working knowledge of ICT, particularly in using Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, MS Teams)
- Flexibility and preparedness to perform a changing array of duties according to the needs of the programme
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to multitask, prioritize and meet deadlines
- Teamwork, communication skills, resilience and flexibility; ability to work in an international team
- High level of service-orientation
- Discretion, loyalty and integrity
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and efficiently in a fast-paced environment
- Willingness to learn, improve and upgrade skills as required by the tasks to be performed
- Takes over responsibility for the tasks assigned to her/him and carries them out independently; proactive approach.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates shall submit their motivation letter along with their non-returnable recent CV via Ethiojobs or Email : [email protected]
Please make sure you mention the Vacancy Number ‘ Human Rights Advisor #042/2021’ in the subject line of your email application.
Due to large number of applications we categorise applications with the vacancy numbers.
Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
We encourage persons with disabilities to apply for the position. In case of equal qualification, persons with disabilities will be given preference.
Applications from qualified women are encouraged.
“Please refer to our brochure to learn more about GIZ’s attractive benefit package.”