- Company: Plan International Ethiopia
- Location: Ethiopia
- State: Addis Ababa Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Accounting Jobs in Ethiopia
Plan International is an independent non-profit organization that advances children’s well-being and equality for girls. Working in building powerful partnerships for children for over 75 years and present in 70 countries, Plan International strives for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children while working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners. Plan International Ethiopia is looking for Internal Control & Compliance Officer for Country Office who will be reporting to the Internal Control & Compliance Manager.
Dimensions of Role:
- The post holder supports the internal control and compliance manager in planning and undertaking the work of the Country Office Internal Control function including internal audits of all field offices and all departments, replaces the internal control and compliance manager in her/ his absence in coordinating risk management systems and processes, working with all other Departments and staff as appropriate to mainstream risk management policy and practice.
- The post holder works with the internal control and compliance manager in coordinating all audits (both internal and external) and follow up on all audit actions within Plan International Ethiopia.
- As part of the overall approach to risk management, the post holder works with the internal controller and compliance manager to support the Country Director, Heads of Departments and other staff to ensure that all business activities are carried out in compliance with organisational policies and in accordance with the local regulatory environment.
- The Post holder is also work with the internal control and compliance manager in rolling out Anti-Fraud Policy, its implementation and monitoring within Plan Ethiopia.
Typical Responsibilities – Key end Results of the Position:
Risk management system / risk registers
- Coordinate and facilitate the effective implementation of the overall organisational risk management system, including its review and monitoring.
- Coordinate and facilitation of the identification and classification of risks to the country operation, the documentation of these, and the determination of appropriate actions to appropriately manage / mitigate such risks. This includes the timely and periodic completion of the Country Office and Program Area risk registers.
- Support and facilitation of the monitoring of progress towards agreed risk management / mitigation actions, such that remedial actions can be taken in a timely way as and when necessary.
Global Assurance reviews
- Coordination of all Global Assurance audits in Ethiopia.
- Support and facilitation of the monitoring of progress, and the evaluation of effectiveness, of all agreed actions arising from the findings and recommendations of Global Assurance reports, documenting progress in periodic Audit Action List reports and making linkages to the content and oversight of the Country Office and Program Area risk registers.
Reviews of compliance with key controls, and effectiveness of policies and procedures
- Prepare a master list of all required compliances to internal policies and procedures, external compliances to donors and government; ensure that Plan Ethiopia fully meets all the required compliances; monitor it regularly and submit a monthly report to the Internal Control and compliance manager.
- To gether with the internal controller and compliance manager develop an annual calendar, ToRs and conduct internal audits of all Departments and PAs in Plan Ethiopia every year. Prepare a clear report with action plans and share with conserned staff members and the Country Director. Monitor the progress against the action plan to address all internal audit actions.
- Coordinate, planning and facilitating all external audits within Plan International Ethiopia.
- Prepare and regularly update the Master list of all audit actions, follow up with all action owners on regular basis, update the progress on audit actions and share it on monthly basis to CMT and other relevant colleagues.
- Review compliance with established key controls in all areas of business including program, finance, sponsorship, resource acquisition and grant management, human resources, IT, partnerships, logistics, and in any other area of business as relevant.
- Review the adequacy and effectiveness of internal policies and procedures
- prepare reports for management following reviews of compliance and the effectiveness of policies and procedures, and support and facilitate appropriate response to identified gaps or shortcomings in the control environment, including the monitoring of progress against agreed follow up actions.
As required by the Country Director, support in designing and undertaking of investigations into occurrences and incidents that have materialised and where controls, policies and procedures may be found to have been inadequate. This includes, but is not limited to, allegations of fraud.
- Review selected activities of selected partner organizations to ensure that they are operating in conformity with the partnership agreement entered into with PIE.
- Support and facilitate continuous reflection and learning with regard to the risk management system, as a means towards is continuous refinement and enhancement. This includes learning from interaction with the corporate Global Assurance function, with other Plan countries and with external parties, and from internal reviews and other relevant initiatives such as specific case investigations.
- Raise fraud awareness across the entire workforce, and the implementation of appropriate control measures.
- Support partner organizations in their own risk management systems and processes, and conduct partner risk assessments based on due diligence reports, volume of funds, and other criteria so as to identify possible key risks that might affect PIE’s operations with partners.
Knowledge, Skills, Behaviours, and Experience Required to Achieve Role’s Objectives:
Educational Qualification and Experience
- BA in Accounting and/or Finance or Audit, Compliance Management,
- Studying towards professional accounting/ audit qualification. i.e. ACCA,CIA, CPA preferable
- MBA, MSc in Accounting and/or Finance or Audit or Compliance Management or other relevant areas is preferable.
- At least 5 years relevant professional experience for MA or MSc and 7-8 years of relevant professional experience for BA in related roles and responsibilities, in an NGO environment;
- Extensive experience in the design and implementation of risk management frameworks.
- Extensive experience in undertaking internal control reviews.
- Proven experience of fraud detection and investigation.
- Proven experience and skills in compliance (both internal and external to donors and government) management and monitoring.
- Experience of NGOs is must
- Knowledge of risk management frameworks and processes; and
- Knowledge of internal control systems.
How to Apply
The closing date for the application is June 19, 2019. Qualified candidates should submit their application with the below link.
This position is only open to Ethiopian Nationals, who must be eligible to live and work in Ethiopia.
Please note that:
Applications and CVs written in English will be accepted and
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please note that we are not accepting CVs that are not sent through the indicated link.
Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.
More information about Plan International can be found on http:// plan-international.org
References will be taken and background and anti-terrorism checks will be carried out in conformity with Plans Child Protection Policy. Plan operates an equal opportunities policy and actively encourages diversity, welcoming applications from all persons meeting the skills and experience required.
As an international child centered community development organisation, Plan International is fully committed to promoting the realization of children's rights including their right to protection from violence and abuse. That means we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we, as an organisation, do everything we can to keep children safe. We must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk. Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply.