The Coordination Office for Development Cooperation at the Austrian Embassy in Addis Ababa has a mandate to implement the bilateral development cooperation between Ethiopia and Austria. The mandate of the coordination office includes policy dialogue and monitoring of project implementation funded by the Austrian Development Agency (ADA). ADA has been delegated to manage the funding allocated by the European Union for the support of the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) under the EU Trust Fund for Africa (EUTF), Horn of Africa window, for a programme titled “IGAD Promoting Peace and Stability in the Horn of Africa Region (IPPSHAR)”. PROCURMENT and FINANCE COMPLIANCE OFFICER will work within the IPPSHAR team, embedded in the IGAD Peace and Security Division, under direct supervision of the Team Leader and overall reporting to the Head of Office.
Coordination Office for Development Cooperation, Austrian Embassy Addis Abeba
Duration: up to end December 2022 Starting date: asap
Procurement and Finance Compliance officer tasks include
- The PFCO is responsible for the accurate contract management of part of the IPPSHAR Programme. She/he will work under the supervision of the second PFCO and report to the ADA Team Leader.
- Implements all required actions conducive to operationalising the financial management, accounting and procurement structures and processes required for the implementation of the programme, as guided by the Project Operational Manuals (POM). Ensures effective financial management and compliance with the POM, which relates to IGAD budget execution tasks (based on EU regulations) through overseeing and vetting relevant implementing actions carried-out by IGAD.
- Carries out ex-ante and ex-post control of procurement processes, contract management and financial transactions as deemed necessary to ensure proper compliance on all procurement actions minimizing the risk for potential non-eligible programme expenditures and ensure accurate supporting documentation for procurement processes and payment transactions.
- Assists in reviews financial reports of IGAD PSD and it´s units, when necessary as well as contribute to preparation of project examination reports for grants.
- Perform monitoring visits to IGAD MS and IGAD HQ on a regular basis while maintaining and ensuring close cooperation and collaboration with respective IGAD/PSD staff.
- Contributes to internal and external audits.
- Assists the ADA Team Leader and the IPPSHAR finance colleagues.
- Strengthen capacities with the IGAD Peace and Security Division and units’ finance and procurement staff
- Works closely with ADC Office in Addis Ababa
- Substitute the second PFCO during absence
- Postgraduate degree in Accounting & Finance Management, Public Procurement or equivalent expertise.
- At least 10 years proven experience in procurement and finance management of international development cooperation projects, out of this at least 6 years of experience in EU funded projects and 4 years of experience in financial management of large scale programmes.
- At least 7 years proven experience in providing support to government stakeholders and/or inter-governmental organizations on institutional strengthening.
- Excellent negotiation, facilitation and communication skills.
- Excellent IT-Skills (Sun System, Excel, accounting software).
- Auditing experience would be an strong asset.
- Working knowledge with IGAD units, programs and systems is an asset.
- Frequent travels within the IGAD region is required.
- Amharic and English required, other regional languages, German, but especially French are is an additional asset.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, verbal and electronic communication skills and ability to work in a multicultural team with people of different backgrounds.
- Interested to work in an international environment.
How to Apply