‘Kelem International School (KIS) is a pre-KG to Grade 8 school that was originally established under the Swedish Embassy in Ethiopia in 1946 but reopened as an independent not-for-profit school in July 2019.
We are currently seeking a SELF-CONTAINED TEACHER for the coming academic year 2022-23.
Our vision is to become a collaborative center of learning in Ethiopia, where each and every child becomes a confident and self-realized global citizen. Our mission is to facilitate the realization of every child’s full potential and develop resilient, curious, open-minded and reflective students who are able to express themselves fully and effectively.
We wish to enable our students to think critically, analyze and creatively solve problems to be adaptive in a rapidly changing world. Our school fosters in the minds of our students that learning is a life-long endeavor, setting the example by the continued professional development of our teachers and staff.
Our school aims to produce responsible and compassionate global citizens, with respect and recognition of the rich heritage of our host country, Ethiopia.
Currently the student-body of 175 represents 28 different nationalities. Kelem International School follows the Finnish curriculum blended with international standards for G1-8 and International Early Years Curriculum (IEYC) for KG. We are in process of being accredited by Cognia and expect to be fully accredited by June 2022.
Teachers are expected to teach multiple subjects and will demonstrate the competencies and behaviors needed to support students improve their preparedness, mastery and support the core values, vision, and mission of the school.
- Demonstrates mastery of related subject matter, instructional skills, and resource materials for course(s) taught.
- Creates lesson plans, aligned with the Common Core standards, which drives instruction through formative assessment and differentiation.
- Maintains a safe, organized classroom, which supports students’ independent learning,
- collaboration and choice.
- Utilizes a variety of effective instructional (or Blended Learning) and management techniques.
- Provides a variety of assessments and uses assessment data for planning and instruction
- Provide consistent, immediate feedback to student learning and asks analytical questions that elicit students’ responses that incorporate prior knowledge, life experience and interests that are directly related to the content objective.
- Monitor and maintain a positive classroom environment that supports the school wide behavior expectation in which most students are engaged, incorporates mutual respect and provides cooperative learning opportunities.
- Uses available technology/instructional media to enhance the students’ learning experiences.
- Establishes and maintains appropriate relationships with students, parents, staff, and community members by communicating in a tactful, courteous, and confidential manner.
- Appropriately communicates and interacts with other professional staff in academic planning and school committee work.
- Attends and participates in staff meetings and extra-curricular/school related activities and committees.
- Demonstrates a commitment to continuous professional growth and works with administrators to formulate and complete professional development plans.
- Maintains a professional appearance and demonstrates behavior that is conscientious and responsible.
- Engages Parents and guardians in the education of their children.
- Does not engage in discriminatory practices on any basis, including race, origin, gender, socio-economic status, disability, religion, or political beliefs.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned by the Team Leaders or Principals
Teacher load : Teachers are expected to have a classroom teaching load of a minimum of 24 - 25 hours per week and additionally be a homeroom teacher and be involved in the after-school activity program
Reports to: Team Leader
Coordinates with: Principal, Teachers, Counselor, Learning Support
Working Hours: Monday - Thursday 7:30 am - 4:30 pm and Fridays from 7:30 am - 3:30 pm.
- B. ED/BA/BSc degree in major content taught
- Pedagogy and Teachers Training
- Minimum 3 years of relevant teaching experience preferably in an international or community schools.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are asked to apply by submitting their most recent CV as well as a letter of no more than two sides of A4 outlining their suitability for the post and motivation in making the application. The CV must include names and full contact details of three professional referees, one of whom must be the candidate’s most recent supervisor/ line manager. Referees will not be contacted without prior permission.
Applications may be submitted in person at the school address below or send by email to [email protected] . In addition to interaction with candidates’ professional referees a variety of background checks will be required prior to final appointment.
Please note that Kelem International School is committed to all aspects of safeguarding and safer recruitment practices to ensure that the school provides a safe and secure environment for all.
The HR office
The Former Swedish Community School Parents Charitable Organization (FSCPCO)
Dar Sahara street, Kazanchis,
Cobble stone road opposite Meles Foundation
House # 9999
Tele: +251 911 52 73 41
Please note that applicants will be contacted for further assessment only if they are shortlisted.