- Company: NRC (Norwegian Refugee Council)
- Location: Ethiopia
- State: Gambela Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Engineering Jobs in Ethiopia
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
Role and responsibilities
The purpose of the Shelter Technical Assistant position is to assist in the day to day implementation of the project activities in the refugee camps and host communities. The Shelter Technical Assistant will support all field level operations including among others the mobilisation of beneficiaries for shelter activities. He/she will also supervise Community Incentive Workers.
The post holder is expected to demonstrate excellent community mobilisation skills and motivate his/her team and deliver towards achieving the organisational vision of serving the refugees and host communities in Gambella region of Ethiopia.
- Supervision of Community Incentive Workers in Gambella
- Adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Contribute to the development of Gambella Area and CC strategies, participate in the development of relevant CC projects.
- Implement Education project activities and prepare project documentation in line with the budget, proposals, strategies and donor requirements.
- Implement CC SoPs and ensure high technical quality of projects
- Provide regular progress reports to the Shelter & Construction Project Manager
The key responsibilities of the Shelter Technical Assistant will include but not limited to;
- Assist with the implementation of the education project according to the plan of action.
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by the Shelter & Construction Project Manager.
- Ensure proper filing of documents.
- Promote and share ideas for technical improvement.
- Supervise community incentive workers.
- Provide support to NRC activities, and assessments in line with NRC quality standards.
These are skills, knowledge and experience that are important for effective performance.
Generic professional competencies:
- Experience of working in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Strong communication, interpersonal, analytical and negotiation skills
- Ability to prioritise responsibilities, carry out multiple tasks simultaneously, and meet deadlines
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- A university degree in Civil Engineering
- Minimum of 2 years’ relevant experience is required
- Some familiarity with humanitarian work in Gambella region
- Some experience in working with government authorities and vulnerable beneficiaries
- Proven skills and experience in community mobilisation.
- Good computer skills, especially in Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is mandatory.
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of Amharic, Nuer and Agnuak languages is an added advantage