INTERNAL/EXTERNAL VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Specialist – Internal Audit Compliance
CARE Ethiopia’s mission is to work with the poor women and men, boys and girls, communities and institutions, to have a significant impact on the underlying causes of poverty in Ethiopia.
Date: August 08, 2019
Vacancy #: 066 /19
Salary: USD 1,564
No of position: 1 (One)
Type of Employment: Regular
Unit: Program Support
Duty base: Head Office /Addis Ababa
Dead Line: 10 days from the date of advertisement
- JOB SUMMARY
The purpose of Specialist – Internal Audit Compliance position is to assist the Internal Audit Manager in providing overall leadership, management and supervision of CARE Ethiopia’s internal audit functions specifically focusing on Compliance matters. S/he is required to assist in leading the review and appraisal of the system of internal control system within the country office to give reasonable assurance on adherence to acceptable standards, policies, procedures, Long Range Strategic Plan (LRSP) and legal requirements. Assist in analyzing the complexity of standards, activities for the Country Office to assist departments & units in obtaining timely consultation, feedback & awareness. S/he is responsible for assessing existing compliance risks using up to date risk assessment methodology, assist and advise the manger about current and emerging risk exposures, based on the assessment, rank them in overall company wide perspective. S/he also discloses growth areas and compliance problems and suggests applicable solutions for exceptions and problems disclosed. S/he is required to ensure the technical integrity and clear presentation of compliance findings and recommendations, and advise the leaders in following and tracking the responses and actions agreed upon by CARE and partner management.
- RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
Job Responsibility #1: Monitor Country Office Compliance Risks
Assists in identifying Compliance risks, organizing & updating relevant documents, develop tools etc in the areas of:
- Donor regulations (U.S. and Non-U.S. Governments, private and public donors)
- CARE USA & CO’s policies and procedures both formal and informal in all areas
- Global legal environment
- Ethics and social responsibility standards
- Grants and contracts (capacity and legality; breach and remedies)
- Employment relations
- Partnerships etc
- Collects, analyzes, summarizes & evaluates data related to complex standards, rules, regulations, activities in the Country Office to assist departments & units in obtaining timely consultation, feedback, awareness to new developments and changes.
- Monitors risks related to non-compliance to the CARE USA & CO as well as external policies, standards, rules, regulation etc applicable to CARE Ethiopia’s operations.
- Assesses existing compliance risks using up to date risk assessment methodology, assist and advise the Internal Audit Manger about current and emerging risk exposures, based on the assessment, rank them in overall company wide perspective.
- Plays part in identifying financial, operational, and food commodity non-compliance risk areas, assist in leading the review and appraisal of the system of internal control system within the country office to give reasonable assurance on adherence to acceptable standards, policies, procedures, Long Range Strategic Plan (LRSP) and legal requirements.
- Ensures the technical integrity and clear presentation of compliance findings and recommendations, and advise the leaders in following and tracking the responses and actions agreed upon by CARE and partner management.
Job Responsibility #2: Provide Overall Consultation & Advisory Services
- Helps in disclosing growth areas and compliance problems and suggests applicable solutions for exceptions and problems disclosed.
- Assists in providing regular advisory services to the departments units to ensure that CARE’s resources are properly managed and utilized.
- Conducts independent and objective analysis to provide counsel as it relates to compliance management to ensure the effective adherence to all the required standards.
- Represents the Internal Audit Manager in his/her absence, as a key advisor to the CO Audit and Audit related issues.
- Provides assistance advising on new policy and implementation of audit recommendations throughout the organization.
Job Responsibility #3: Staff Management:
- Supervises, leads, guides and supports all members under her/his supervision;
- Assist the Internal Audit Manager to orienting, training, coaching and mentoring internal audit staff in technical implementation and production of quality and timely audit reports;
- Carries out compliance related training for other staff members as deemed necessary;
- Completes all performance management activities including: performance planning, monitoring, annual performance appraisals.
Job Responsibility #4: Recommendation and Implementation Follow-up:
- Ensures that the monthly and annual audit and monitoring responses are as per the set guideline;
- Prepares reminders to audited units’ management for delayed monthly and annual audit and food monitoring responses
- Prepares audit and compliance monitoring implementation status report to the Internal Audit Manager
- Assist in follows-ups and ensures that the recommendations of CARE USA and other external auditors are implemented and gives feedback to the management.
- Ensures the production of high quality, clear and detailed audit reports to enable the Internal Audit Manager release timely & relevant internal Audit Reports.
- Develops training materials; conduct training on Compliances, Internal Controls, Audit Recommendation Implementation techniques.
Job Responsibility #5: Assists Audit Planning
- Prepares annual compliance audit plans and work schedules using appropriate and up to date audit risk assessment methodology for approval by the Internal Audit Manager;
- Prepares and ensures the adherence to individual audit plan before each field visit;
- Provide analysis and identify risk prone Compliance matters in areas of Finance, procurement and operational areas to properly address during the review to set priority;
- Propose audit program to be used, techniques to be applied, sampling techniques to be used and sample size to be covered in dealing with compliance matters;
- Propose in preparation and management of annual budget requirement for the Unit.
Job Responsibility #6: OTHERS
- Assists the Internal Audit Manager in directing and controlling the functions of internal audit unit.
- Assist the external auditors;
- Participate in coordination of the year – end physical inventory or project close out time of the Country Office;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
III. PROBLEM SOLVING (Thinking Environment)
All the three levels of problem solving highly apply to the incumbent. But category number Two & Three are most applicable to this position because, she/he has to deal with variables, requiring high level compliance expertise, relatively a high degree of autonomy, independence and objectivity, and the ability to provide analysis, problem definition and development of alternative solutions on donors regulation, CARE policy & Procedures, ethical & professional standards, Long Range Strategic Plan (LRSP) Programming Principles, Program Support functions.
- A) EDUCATION/TRAINING
Required: – B.A. Degree in Accounting.
Desired: – Diploma in Law, Chartered/Certified Public Accountant or Certified Internal Auditor (CIA).
- B) EXPERIENCE
Required: – 5 – 7 years of supervisory experience in internal auditing specializing in compliance, financial and operation management.
Desired: – Experience with INGO funded by US Government, EU and with complex projects/programs is added advantage.
- C) TECHNICAL SKILLS
- Strong organizational skills and ability to coach staff in prioritizing workload whilst maintaining a high standard of work;
- Fluency in English language and written communication; ability to explain to staff at all levels the underlying principle of policies and risk, provide technical advise and support
- Demonstrated experience advising the Internal Audit Manager, in compliance risk management and internal controls
- Demonstrated technical and managerial ability, sound judgment, ability to work effectively with others at all levels as appropriate;
- Firm belief in teamwork, gender equality, sensitivity to HIV/AIDS, participatory approach and sustainable development;
- Computer skills.
- Experience in the use of PeopleSoft Financial Management Solutions (FMS) software.
- Female Candidates are highly recommended to apply.
- D) COMPETENCIES
Respect, accountability, courage, excellence, analytical ability, stress tolerance, facilitating change, problem solving, managing performance for success, adaptability, coaching, collaboration, developing teams, initiating action, Interpersonal skills, communicating with impact, Information monitoring, innovation, planning and organizing, negotiating.
- FREEDOM TO ACT
The incumbent’s decisions are important in terms of the daily functioning and operation of the compliance areas in planning, monitoring, coordinating the tasks & enriching effective & efficient relationships at the appropriate levels. Her/his decisions are contributory in terms of the Internal Audit unit’s value adding role identifying Country office risk prone compliance areas and improve the overall accountability of the Country Office, ensuring that resources are properly managed and utilized and disclosing growth areas and application problems and suggesting applicable solutions for exceptions and problems disclosed.
- CONTACTS/KEY RELATIONSHIPS
The Internal Audit- Compliance Specialist is expected to collaborate with other internal & external auditors, Donors. She/he also works in close collaboration with the Internal Audit Manager, unit leaders and all CARE Head Office, Sub Office and Field Staffs.
VII. WORKING CONDITIONS AND LEVEL OF TRAVEL REQUIRED.
This position is located in CARE HO, Addis Ababa and requires 35 – 55% of travel to Field Offices.
How to Apply
If you are interested to be part of our dynamic team, exciting work environment and contribute to CARE Ethiopia’s mission and vision, please forward your: CV (not more than 3 page) and cover letter (not more than one page) Send your application by e-mail to ETH.JobsHR@care.org . Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Note: On the subject Line, please clearly write the position you are applying “Specialist – Internal Audit Compliance”. Your application will be automatically disqualified, if you fail to do so.
Passionate and dedicated candidates who meet the requirement are strongly encouraged to apply, especially women