The World Bank is financing East Africa Skills for Transformation and Regional Integration Project (EASTRIP), which initially involves sixteen Regional Flagship TVET Institutes (RFTIs) of three East African countries including Ethiopia, Kenya, and Tanzania. The Project’s development objectives are increase access and improve quality of TVET and facilitate regional integration. The objectives and results of the project will be achieved through:
- Strengthening 16 selected Regional TVET Flagship institutes out of which 7 are found in Ethiopia; and Dire Dawa Polytechnic College (DDPTC) is one of the institutes;
- Creating national TVET enabling environment; and
- Enhancing regional collaborative capacity in TVET and project coordination. At the institute level, the objectives of the project will be achieved through:
- Strengthening governance and management;
- Institutionalizing industry links;
- Developing market relevant and competency-based training programs;
- Training of TVET managers and teachers/trainers (including industry senior experts);
- Provision of key training facilities and equipment; and
- Outreach and support for non-project national TVET institute. Strengthening DDPTC capacity for high quality skills development in priority sectors is the main strategic development objective of the project. The implementation of the project will turn the DDPTC into the largest training facility for high quality and relevant skills development in Ethiopia; produce competent skilled technicians for the Country and East Africa; and to become pioneering model TVET Institution in the Region. One of the key interventions of the project is to support the Dire Dawa Polytechnic College to become Model Regional Flagship TVET Institute in delivering demand-driven high quality TVET programs. Thus, the DDPTC seeks to hire highly qualified Technical Assistance Consulting Firm (hereinafter “the Technical Assistance, TA”) to support the College in Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) development.
The main objective of the assignment is to engage a highly qualified consulting firm to provide mentorship technical support and capacity strengthening measures for high quality skills development and market responsive Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) at the DDPTC.
The Team leader & institution reform senior specialist will have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Lead the TA services implementation and oversee all technical and managerial decisions related to delivery including M&E systems, capacity building, and stakeholder management;
- Act as technical expert on sectorial trainings, including collaboration with business and industry in support of labour market needs;
- Provide technical guidance in relevant training programs of market relevant curricula modules and resources development;
- Serve as key expert in delivering Management trainings for Institutional Heads and Managements;
- Assist DDPTC in fund searching & income generation ;
- Searching and liaising with similar international model TVET Institutions for staffs and students exchange;
- Support best relevant overseas higher institutions (Polytechnic Colleges, Universities) search and liaising for faculty and management short-term and long-term upgrading training;
- Ensure quality oversight of all products & services provided by the program;
- Evaluate the impact of training, the efficacy of the training programs, training methodologies in use, on an ongoing basis;
- Set up a certification process for teachers/trainers and institutional heads & managements;
- Produce professional program/project reporting documentation including experience monitoring, submitting and analyzing budgets program/project KPIs, effectiveness and efficiency indicators; and
- Liaise with PIU of EASTRIP, other Individual & Firm Consultants, Vocational Counsellors related to the project implementation and periodically assess project progress. Take mid-course corrective action as required.
Team Leader & Institutional Reform Senior Specialist (6 man-months)
- Master Degree/PhD in the fields of either TVET Railway or Metal or Mechanical or Automotive or Electro Engineering/Technology. Having additional additional/combinations qualification is preferable;
- Minimum of 15 years of professional experience in the field of TVET including working on projects with international funding agencies;
- Experience in at least two (2) projects as an expert in the field of vocational education and training;
- Experience as a Team Leader in at least two (2) education related projects; and
- Experience working in Ethiopia will be preferred.